Change font size   Print view

The Seven Levels of Surfers - a guide to surfing Soul

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

What level are you?

Soul Surfer
No votes
Whore
No votes
Amateur
40%
Weekender
60%
Professional
No votes
Rich Amateur
No votes
Quiver Baiter
No votes

Total votes : 5

Postby nm » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:26 pm

........ho hum..........

:roll:
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Re: The Seven Levels of Surfers - a guide to surfing Soul

Postby kukla » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:28 pm

QuiverBaiter wrote:(Judges are on a negative level below the seven presented here).

Like a guy who sets himself up to categorize and rank the soulfulness of other surfers?
kukla
Mermaided

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:30 pm

I like how it is all revolved around money and competition.

I'll wait for Sparky's weigh in before I judge nyself against this criteria.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Sparky » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:54 pm

Hmm gona have to give this one a bit more thought.. 8)
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Postby Koo Nass » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:28 pm

I'm just a guy who surfs. Sometimes I'm on weekdays, sometimes I'm on weekends, & sometimes I'm on whores.
Koo Nass

Postby Stiffler » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:05 pm

fine, i'll weigh in. when I hear all that soul surfer crap i could just puke. usually it's a euphemism for "has been" or "never was", or at best is a dodge for somebody who's dropped out of society, IE failing in some sort of personal responsibility.
It ranks right up there with soul-mate.....whatever the f^ck that is.

Having done a bunch of granola-stuff I've heard more than my fair share of people "Commune with the waves", "listen to the trees", or "become one with the rock". Face it, if you have to tell someone your "listening to the trees", it's all about the person you're trying to impress, and what they think of you, and has nothing to do with the trees.

Next time, just post a pic of your quiver and forget about "the Art".
Stiffler

Postby Fish » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:19 pm

My level "class clown" wasn't on there.

p.s. I'm the only one that voted...........hee hee hee, weekender hee hee hee ... BUT I didn't bother to read it anyway.......I saw nmm's "ho hum" and went with it.
Fish

Postby Trunk Monkey » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:48 am

Dejavu poll...

My level is not in the poll (Couch Potato level 0). :wink:
Trunk Monkey
baitfish expert

Postby gills » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:05 pm

What about level 8? I'm sick and damn tired of level eighters being marginalized! Sure, just because we levitate at BBQ's and anything we touch turns to blonde, doesn't mean we shouldn't be included in the rating system. And my friend, known only as 'bro' is a level 9 and he's got like powers and chit and can like hold closeouts open and throw people over the falls if they drop in on him and yet there's no talk about level niners either. What's with that?
gills

Postby SooLoo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:11 pm

I have a level nine battle ax and a level eight invisibility cloak
SooLoo

Postby erzats » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:13 pm

those are some skills sooloo
erzats
core!

Postby thurgood jenkins » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:17 pm

I don't believe in rating anyones abilities or styles which is why I am not a big fan of competitive surfing (my ratings are as floows kook, newbie, intermediate, good and f*cking amazing). I don't think anyone is in the position to judge another surfers style or ability, especially when it comes to the world tour where all the guys on there are so amzing and so close to each other in skill it's kind of hard to judge, the lamest thing about competitive surfing is that most of the time they're held in crappy conditions and the winner could be the guy who lucks out and gets the best waves during his heat where as someone who is more talented may get snaked and get crappy waves in his heat thus making it much more difficult to compete. These surfing companies should do us all a favour drop the advertising, drop the competitions and drop the prices of their products. I surf because I love surfing and I am gonna buy a board that fits my needs in regards to dimensions and craftmanship not because Kelly rides one.
The funny thing about this article is it's all soulful and anticompetition money and judging, putting judges at the bottom of the list; yet the article lays judgement as to the methods and ideologies of all surfers.

Oh yeah and put me down as half weekender and half amateur as sometimes I surf during the week.
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:54 pm

SooLoo wrote:I have a level nine battle ax and a level eight invisibility cloak

I rolled my 12 sided dice SooLoo and you sustained 5 Hit Points damage in a glancing blow from my +9 Sword of Sorrow. You lucky bastard! But you are poisoned. You better use your Level 6 Cleric to heal your party.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby SooLoo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:01 pm

Prick
SooLoo

Postby gills » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:46 pm

I think Wilbur brings an interesting topic into this discussion, that is, what is the highest level of damage you've sustained surfing? Be careful with your answer- you saw what wilbur did to SooLoo.

I've found some +9 rocks of sorrow in Nicaragua. So here's the scale.

15 That over the falls video posted on one of these threads.

10 Rocks with visible flesh removed and board dings.

5 Fin grazing the head, board in the nuts.

0 Banged in the head putting board on car.
gills

Next

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners