Change font size   Print view

Issues of Localism

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

have you personally experienced localism against you?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:37 pm

No
50%
yes
50%

Total votes : 14

Postby fossilgrom » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:10 pm

Otter rock locals rule!!!!
free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Postby wawaverider » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:37 am

It is only going to get worse. why? look at the attention the Nelscott Reef contest has gotten. More and more people are going to wanna surf up here, thus bringing crowds and with crowds comes problems along with a bunch of tweeked out inbread locals. On one hand I sympathize with the locals but on the other I don't.
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby XBlueSilverX » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:53 pm

all the real locals i've met, in person or on here have all been rather cool.
it's the fags that come from 100 miles away once a month and think that makes them a local that cause the trouble.
either way, i've always given other surfers a wide berth to let them do thier thing and i perfer to surf alone or with a friend or two. but i've still had issues with people..
The problem with real life? There's no danger music..
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby Tyedog » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:36 pm

The best advice I can give anyone who is confronted by a pack (they always hunt in packs) of surly locals is....... A. DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT!!!!! very important, as this is sure to provoke an attack. B. Bring "gifts". Gifts include beer, KGB, money, your girl, your daughter, your mom if shes hot. This will keep them occupied for a short peirod of time while you sneek a wave or two. Just remember, the better the gift, the more waves they will look the other way on for 'ya. I have to say that some of the crap I have read on this and other OREGON surfpage message boards is all I need to know when the crap spewers come back and cry about a rock or two being thrown. Did anyone get hit????? Did they ding your board, wax your car, yell at you, pop a tire, throw a severed head on your porch????? And now your going to bring a gun????? What the phuck is wrong with some of you?????? YOU BRING THIS ON YOURSELFS. Act like a man and most of the time youll be treated like one. Or as a last resort, roll up into a ball and scream like a girl. They'll be to busy laughing to beat you too badly.
Tyedog

Postby redliner » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:51 pm

"Don't make eye contact?" this isn't jail! I'll look at whatever I feel I should be paying attention to. I've got a special "gift" for you. Pu$$ies ALWAYS hunt in packs. Don't be dix unless you have a reason. Ease off the throttle, go get another wave, beat IT up.
It always gets good after everyone leaves.
redliner
neoprene queen

Postby wawaverider » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:36 pm

bribing locals, what the hell is that? never ever will that happen. xbluesilverx I think that you are dead wrong about the people from 100 miles away being dicks, in fact I would be willing to make a fifty dollar bet on the folks that do the biggest percent of harrassing are LOCALS don't go kidding yourself or trying to buddy up with them, yeah there are plenty of good locals, that isn't the point.
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby XBlueSilverX » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:13 pm

Tyedog wrote:The best advice I can give anyone who is confronted by a pack (they always hunt in packs) of surly locals is....... A. DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT!!!!! very important, as this is sure to provoke an attack. B. Bring "gifts". Gifts include beer, KGB, money, your girl, your daughter, your mom if shes hot. This will keep them occupied for a short peirod of time while you sneek a wave or two. Just remember, the better the gift, the more waves they will look the other way on for 'ya. I have to say that some of the crap I have read on this and other OREGON surfpage message boards is all I need to know when the crap spewers come back and cry about a rock or two being thrown. Did anyone get hit????? Did they ding your board, wax your car, yell at you, pop a tire, throw a severed head on your porch????? And now your going to bring a gun????? What the phuck is wrong with some of you?????? YOU BRING THIS ON YOURSELFS. Act like a man and most of the time youll be treated like one. Or as a last resort, roll up into a ball and scream like a girl. They'll be to busy laughing to beat you too badly.

you idiot i dont carry concealed becuase of locals, i carry anyways. go f^ck a cat.
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby XBlueSilverX » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:14 pm

wawaverider wrote:bribing locals, what the hell is that? never ever will that happen. xbluesilverx I think that you are dead wrong about the people from 100 miles away being dicks, in fact I would be willing to make a fifty dollar bet on the folks that do the biggest percent of harrassing are LOCALS don't go kidding yourself or trying to buddy up with them, yeah there are plenty of good locals, that isn't the point.

i treat everyone the same, i dont give a local better treatment than a non local
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby surfnride » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:06 am

Wow...... so much anger :twisted: :twisted:
Can't we all just get along :?: :-$ :-$

I'm gonna go put on some Bob Marley and think about someplace warm 8)
If its flat then go ride!
surfnride
secret spots are my forte

Postby fossilgrom » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:28 am

As long as you stay in washington we'll get along just fine. You don't wanna surf down here anyway...people carry guns - arr, arr. But seriously folks - localism sucks...so just avoid it and go snowboarding.
fossilgrom

Postby surfnride » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:29 am

fossilgrom wrote:As long as you stay in washington we'll get along just fine. You don't wanna surf down here anyway...people carry guns - arr, arr. But seriously folks - localism sucks...so just avoid it and go snowboarding.

Fossil about 90% of my surfing is is Oregon, I'm just across the big creek. I used to live in Newport, Their is no localism there that I exprienced.
I'll be there for christmas for a few days. It sounds like its gonna big.
I hope I don't get stink eye at otter :lol:
If its flat then go ride!
surfnride
secret spots are my forte

Postby fossilgrom » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:30 am

you know I'm just messin wit ya right? Com on down...the more the merrier!!
fossilgrom

Postby SoCalBarger » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:42 am

Although many of you will disagree, localism is a necessary evil. At least there are still some places you can go that are semi-uncrowded, thanks to localism. Without the locals giving some of you some shite, ALL good surfbreaks would be overrun with dorks who thought Blue Crush was sooo cool they just had to try surfing. You have to pay to play. Earn your stripes. I grew up in a heavily localized area in Cali. Even though I was born and raised there I still got fucked with when I went surfing. I hated it, but it made me a better surfer. Eventually I EARNED a spot in the lineup. If you wanna surf a localized break try picking up trash on the beach first, be low-key, go ALONE, and most of all when paddling out, paddle into the foam instead of trying to get to the shoulder in front of a local on the wave. Long live localism!
SoCalBarger
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby hansl » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:00 pm

I'm gonna go put on some Bob Marley and think about someplace warm 8)[/quote]

Sounds like a fine idea!
ah hell, somebody ride back and get a shitload of dimes!
hansl
I love a good soft top

Postby Bison » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:14 pm

I was out today and it was great, everyone was having fun and sharing waves, locals and non locals alike until this one azzhole comes out and starts talking schit and trying to pit people against each other...the vibe went to hell and everyone got all serious and grim on a relatively small day, it's amazing how one person can ruin the vibe for everyone...but I guess he got what he wanted, 4 people went in shortly after his arrival and then it got all agro and everyone was competing for waves. I was watching this guy surf and it looked like he wasn't having any fun at all, big angry frown even on the wave...I think I would have rather had a few extra people in the lineup than that sort of vibe.
no weak heart shall prosper
Bison
snowboarder know-it-all

PreviousNext

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners