Change font size   Print view

Issues of Localism

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

have you personally experienced localism against you?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:37 pm

No
50%
yes
50%

Total votes : 14

Postby XBlueSilverX » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:23 pm

Bison wrote:I was out today and it was great, everyone was having fun and sharing waves, locals and non locals alike until this one azzhole comes out and starts talking schit and trying to pit people against each other...the vibe went to hell and everyone got all serious and grim on a relatively small day, it's amazing how one person can ruin the vibe for everyone...but I guess he got what he wanted, 4 people went in shortly after his arrival and then it got all agro and everyone was competing for waves. I was watching this guy surf and it looked like he wasn't having any fun at all, big angry frown even on the wave...I think I would have rather had a few extra people in the lineup than that sort of vibe.

see now, if a dude with a gun was there and shot that guy, problem solved and everyones back to having a great day
The problem with real life? There's no danger music..
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby Tyedog » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:48 pm

XBLUESILVERX SAYS"i treat everyone the same, i dont give a local better treatment than a non local"....... UH-HU. THATS THE PROBLEM. RIGHT THERE!!!!! Who picks up all the trash you f***s throw all over the beach??? Who rescues your children when they get caught in a tiny rip and your too weak to pull them out. Who lets you watch them on a huge day, so you can see how to get out, where to paddle, where to take off,what not to do? Who helps the groms that dont have anyone to help them get that first wave of the rest of their lives??? The EVIL LOCALS, THATS WHO. It aint some KOOK FROM 50 miles inland who has never lived at the beach in their life and dont have a clue as to how things work. So you watched a lamea$$ kook movie or you got a subscription to surfing mag. Now you think you are a part of the culture. Well you are a part of the culture. Just like AIDS IS A PART OF THE AFRICAN CULTURE NOW. You spread like a sickness and infect healty, clean breaks and try to make them festering pussfilled hellholes. You are spread through the media, and now the internet. We are working on a CURE, but the powers that be stand to make more money if this sickness gets out of controll. WE WILL FIGHT TO DEATH TO PROTECT THE THINGS WE LOVE THE MOST, just like any other soldier.
Last edited by Tyedog on Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tyedog

Postby redliner » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:55 pm

I've picked up a lot of local trash!!!! Save it.
It always gets good after everyone leaves.
redliner
neoprene queen

Postby Sparky » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:40 pm

Hey Tyedog,

Hate to say it but I do not buy into your line of thinking. You imply that only locals from the beach respect the land/waters/air and all others who may live 50 or even a 100 miles from the beach are unresponsible slobs who only come down to the beach to trash it and play irresponsibly.

Many of the guys and gals who post on this board, myself included, not only pick up after themselves when they go to the beach but also pick up after others who were not as considerate. Next I suppose you will be telling us that not one single person who lives on the coast has ever littered. Give me a f&ckin break.. I am sure the coast has there share of slobs as we inland flatlanders do.

As for the who rescues the people who get in over their heads and bite off more then they can chew.. well how about the coast guard.. last I heard it was not a requirement to be a local of the coast to be a member of the coast guard. Then there is the local search and rescue.. hey ya got me there :wink: but I have also read on this very board about surfers who did not live on the coast, helping others out of difficult situations, where had they not helped out, the coast guard or search and rescue would have had to been called. Myself I have helped at least 1 person. I realize that paportionately I am sure that more noncoast people have to be rescued but I am sure that people from the coast have needed to be rescued from time to time too. So should we non coast people start bitching everytime a coast person needs to be rescued off the mountain.. after all your not a local..

Personally I have never lived on the coast.. worked in Cannon Beach for about 7 months but never lived there.
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Damm Gina! No Respect!

Postby Search and Destroy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:45 pm

shite! I have walked up and down the trail to shorties and I am always seeing peoples trash and what have you crap thrown in the bush either trying to hide it on the side of the trail or just not giving a crap about mother nature, the enviorment, or the plan fact that they can't pick up after them selves. Every hear of a garbage can bastards. I always pick it up though. Can't stand to see it. Now I take a garbage sack with me every time incase I see crap like that, its not just the trails either people, the beach and even floating in the water. Whats up with that. Get your shite straight man! :twisted:
"LIVE FREE" Die In "PEACE"
Search and Destroy
have I shown you the swing room?

Postby fossilgrom » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:53 pm

Dang Tyedog - don't snort so much before ya post man. You got a serious tweak going there. I kinda doubt that folks from p-land are driving all the way out here and dumping their trash down the cliff near my house...its the locals. There are some messy locals out here - maybe not surfer locs, but locs none the less. Can't blame everthing on out-of-towners. So how many kids did you fish out of the rip this week...I got 5 myself.
free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Postby surfnride » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:11 pm

Tyedog,
Why are you so angry :twisted: That is very unfortunate.

I really feel sorry for you if being one of the few lucky ones to live on this great coastline that we have, maybee even at one of the best spots in the northwest and your still stressed out :shock:
There are plenty of waves out there.
If your a seasoned local than you must have the spots wired and get as many waves as your arms will let ya paddle into?
A good session really mellows me out where not much really bothers me, That why I love it so much!!!!
Dude the world is getting smaller get over it.
Maybee if you would surf more you will be happy, If that doesn't work than you have simply lost your stoke, Move on find, somethiing to give it back.

Life really is short, play hard if ya ain't happy change.
Peace and Merry Christmas
If its flat then go ride!
surfnride
secret spots are my forte

Postby Koo Nass » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:34 am

Tie - maybe santa will bring you a bucket of rocks for holiday so you can practice your aim.
Koo Nass

Postby holddown » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:03 am

surfinSparky wrote:As for the who rescues the people who get in over their heads and bite off more then they can chew.. well how about the coast guard..

I have to disagree with you on this one Sparkandsputter. I have witnessed and been involved with many rescues where locals have saved the hineys of valley kooks that have gotten into trouble just because they don't have enough local knowledge. It can be as simple as recognizing that someone is in the rip and calling them out of it to towing someone who is so out of it they can't even paddle. There's no news coverage, no shame on the discovery channel, and often there's not even a thank you. It's also aggravating to have to take time out from a good sesh to drag some idiot out of the water.

I also think that tye may have overstated his point a bit. :roll:
holddown
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby XBlueSilverX » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:51 pm

Tyedog wrote:XBLUESILVERX SAYS"i treat everyone the same, i dont give a local better treatment than a non local"....... UH-HU. THATS THE PROBLEM. RIGHT THERE!!!!! Who picks up all the trash you f***s throw all over the beach??? Who rescues your children when they get caught in a tiny rip and your too weak to pull them out. Who lets you watch them on a huge day, so you can see how to get out, where to paddle, where to take off,what not to do? Who helps the groms that dont have anyone to help them get that first wave of the rest of their lives??? The EVIL LOCALS, THATS WHO. It aint some KOOK FROM 50 miles inland who has never lived at the beach in their life and dont have a clue as to how things work. So you watched a lamea$$ kook movie or you got a subscription to surfing mag. Now you think you are a part of the culture. Well you are a part of the culture. Just like AIDS IS A PART OF THE AFRICAN CULTURE NOW. You spread like a sickness and infect healty, clean breaks and try to make them festering pussfilled hellholes. You are spread through the media, and now the internet. We are working on a CURE, but the powers that be stand to make more money if this sickness gets out of controll. WE WILL FIGHT TO DEATH TO PROTECT THE THINGS WE LOVE THE MOST, just like any other soldier.

that was far too long for me to finish reading... but its nice of you to assume i throw trash on the beach and have aids or whatever. when i say i treat everyone the same, i meant respectfully. i dont harass or bother. however i do believe in giving karma a helping hand in that if some jerk throws rocks at me, i might slash 2 of his tires on the way out...
but probably i'll give 'em another chance to shine the next time i see him
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby John Dolan » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:37 am

Tyedog's a kook. Just goes to show you that there are kooks who are locals, and, real surfers who live 50 miles away. Sometimes a zip code is just a zip code.
John Dolan
I love a good soft top

Postby Stiffler » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:29 am

I cant wait till I move back to the valley just so I can show up and crowd TD's line up.
Stiffler

Postby Sparky » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:57 pm

holddown wrote:I have to disagree with you on this one Sparkandsputter. I have witnessed and been involved with many rescues where locals have saved the hineys of valley kooks that have gotten into trouble just because they don't have enough local knowledge. It can be as simple as recognizing that someone is in the rip and calling them out of it to towing someone who is so out of it they can't even paddle. There's no news coverage, no shame on the discovery channel, and often there's not even a thank you. It's also aggravating to have to take time out from a good sesh to drag some idiot out of the water.

I also think that tye may have overstated his point a bit. :roll:

I agree with you grabdown, I am sure locals have rescued many a valley kook, my point was not to say they have not but to say that they are not the "ONLY" ones who have ever rescued someone on the beach and that not only valley kooks have gotten in over their heads.

So when can we expect to see you on the discovery channel? :wink:
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Postby XBlueSilverX » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:22 pm

jesus christ.

the fact of the matter is this: no matter how great of a waterman you are or think you are.. you will one day find yourself in a situation where your heart starts skipping beats and your adrenaline flows with some amount of fear becuase you may have gotten yourself into something bad.

now you will likely find yourself out of that bad situation, but its possible that the ocean has more suprises and terrible truths than you may realize.. and wheather your a valley kook or a goddamn coast guard rescue swimmer, its possible either way that you may need some serious help.

one issue of localism i believe in is this: every surfer/swimmer/boater/diver whatever that is in the water.. is completely responsible for the life safety of anyone within thier proximity wheather they want that responsibility or not. locals should be aware of the kooks and thier lack of knowledge.. thereby being verbal about hidden dangers.. or as it so happens, .. just running them out of the water so they dont haveto save thier as$es.. kooks need to heed the warnings, do thier research and listen to the locals... buit understand that by stepping foot into that water, they have made themselves responsible for all other people around them and better god damn well know how to swim and have general knowledge of CPR and other crap.
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby pro moe » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:54 pm

experience is the mother of all teachers
pro moe
duck diving fool

PreviousNext

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners