Change font size   Print view

Issues of Localism

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

have you personally experienced localism against you?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:37 pm

No
50%
yes
50%

Total votes : 14

Issues of Localism

Postby wanty » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:37 pm

I just wanted to start a thread where people can tell stories about the localism they have encountered--either taken part in or been a victim of. I dont have any extreme stories or anything but these are just a few examples which i have seen:
Me and a few surfing buddies went to check the status of a break and found that there was nobody there and it was hardly breaking. Anyways a fellow who had been sleeping in his van had his windows waxed which said "go home p-town kook" He was quite pissed and asked me and my pals if we did it. I understand his frusteration.
Another, i had been staying in seaside at a hotel once and a drunk friend of mine met some locals somewhere and went to a house party with them. I dont know how it all happened but ended up getting jumped by a bunch of dudes there. He mentioned to them that we were going to surf the seaside spot the next day and thats when it all happened. He came back the next day telling me "dude those f@#kers dont want you surfing there, man"
Nothing too serious but just having to think about the possibility of terrorism isnt acceptable. any horror stories out there? or do you know the guys who jumped my pal?
Last edited by wanty on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wanty
Site Admin

Postby Koo Nass » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:11 pm

Never happened to me. Doesn't mean that it won't one day.

On second thought, the pikeys got all local on the car ride yesterday.
Koo Nass

Postby thurgood jenkins » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:00 am

Somebody got their car good and spray painted at Sombrio about a month ago, here's the link, the article was lame though. Apparently a few years back a car was lit on fire I think that was at Sombrio too.

http://www.coastalbc.com/surf/st507surfterrorists.htm
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby Friend Of The Hawk » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:13 am

I would have to agree with Wilbur on this one........ Stand your ground take your licks then get in line, If you surf good its still going to happen if your out where you don't have the skills to be they'll run you out and send you to the shollow end where you should be and depending who's in control of the shollow end you may end up further down the beach...Its all about a pecking order most of theses guys got the same treatment or worse breaking into the line up, so when they see you heading out in crap surf from outta town there pea brains kick into gear, this is oppertunity isn't it!! Most of those guys are one fight away from going to jail for a long time and are more bark than bite, but then again............
If we can't be free, at least we can be cheap.....
Friend Of The Hawk
coffee WAS my drug of choice

Postby Bison » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:36 am

Friend Of The Hawk wrote: ...Stand your ground take your licks then get in line...

I disagree, I had rocks thrown at me on Sat. for surfing the point. Had I taken my licks from those 9 guys I would not have surfed and they would have gotten what they wanted, for me to go back to Portland defeated...so what happens next time... they talk sh!t to me, and I go surfing and have a great time...

Now messing with a man's vechicle is another story all together
no weak heart shall prosper
Bison
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:55 am

Stick a fork in this one.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby smithgrind » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:53 am

Surf in Seaside long enough and you're going to get
hassled...Same old sh it ever since I've been here.
The faces may have changed, the ignorance hasn't..
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Oldtimer69 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:35 pm

Rock throwing is viewed as "intent to kill". Rocks are a deadly weapon. You would have be justified to shoot whomever was throwing the rocks.

9 guys against one? You would win in court! These locals need to be taught a lesson...
Hee Nalu
Oldtimer69
secret spots are my forte

Postby thurgood jenkins » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:18 pm

Yeah no kidding I think you guys should all pack you 9 mm in you board bags and if any big groups give you trouble, throwing rocks etc. you should bust some caps as in knee caps, they won't be getting any tube time with shattered knee caps, it'll send a message to other locals that violent treatment will not be tolerated and it'll thin out the line up.

Stink eye and getting told to f*ck off is one thing, throwing rocks is unacceptable, even for meth smoking locals. I had an uncle who died from getting hit in the head with a rock when he was a kid, a bunch of them were screwing around throwing rocks at each other he got hit in the temple, a couple of days later he died I think he was only like 10 or 12, which leads to my next point, what kind of childish tard is still throwing rocks at people into adult hood, and if I were you Bison I would report the bastards, if people reported these incidents the police would have to start treating them seriously, since when did aggravated assault become okay, just because you're surfing at a beach near their house?

It's only a matter of time before things escalate and someone gets hurt the police need to intervene, and thats a sad thing because nobody wants the police hanging around the break, it definately does not add to the mellowness of an atmosphere yet if stuff like this happens more often it will be ineveitable.
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby jerichv » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:48 pm

i agree with you oldtimer, i think these meth head locals need to be taught a lesson. thurgood dont snitch. just pack a pistol.. :twisted:
say it!
jerichv
"wall of fiberglass" refugee

Postby smithgrind » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:18 pm

thurgood jenkins wrote: if I were you Bison I would report the bastards, if people reported these incidents the police would have to start treating them seriously, since when did aggravated assault become okay, just because you're surfing at a beach near their house?

the police need to intervene, and thats a sad thing because nobody wants the police hanging around the break, it definately does not add to the mellowness of an atmosphere yet if stuff like this happens more often it will be ineveitable.

This exact thing happened 6 or 7 years ago to a good surf bro of mine at the same place. In his situation he was in the rip at the cove and as sholes
were throwing rocks at him from the parking lot. The cops were called, witnesses fingered the assailants and the police asked if charges should be pressed. He decided not to press charges though a report was filed and
he wasn't f ucked with again.
Use your celly, make the call...this is a case of assault, pure and simple.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby XBlueSilverX » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:15 pm

i carry a .357 shortie made by taurus. even if i dont kill someone it lets sparks and fire fly to let them know to go f thier mommas.
i also carry several other types of self defence becuase quite frankly, its easier then bruising myself and its a lot funner too. dumbasses bleeding is funny.

i've had my truck waxed at arcadie beach. but the same day, as i just got there, a local gave me a few good pointers on a rip to the outside.... it was his 40 year old gf that was giving me the stink eye :lol: :lol:

my gf has pictures of me laughing as i'm wiping off the wax... let it be known that i'm a violent person when provoked, reguardless of law and other, but a parking ticket was ok and funny.

throw rocks at me? i've never been to the point... but i'm thinking about going just to see if someone does this..

lawyers? mine are better than yours.
The problem with real life? There's no danger music..
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby foulpete » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Maybe I should have posted this here originally.

http://www.oregonsurf.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2805

I had an older Seaside loc splash water in my face on a great day at 'shorebreak.' He was cool after while though and actually 'gave' me a few waves. Some of the best lefts I have ever had, may I add.

I understand and have an element of respect for some form of localism. It keeps those that shouldn't be there away. But Bison's deal is not cool. The irony is Bison has twice the gonads of those boys. Think about it. He is willing to paddle out at an unfriendly spot by himself, a spot he does not get to watch day in and day out like they do, with no back up crew, like they have- That takes 'nads.
foulpete

Postby Oldtimer69 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:49 pm

9mm? Ha ha

Kimber Ultra Carry .45 ACP is the only gun I carry. 9mm was designed to wound people.
When I am out in the water this is what my wife has under her blanket!

Remember our Park Rangers that were shot dead in the bathroom at Shorties a couple years ago?
That guy was a meth head!

If you are going to have a CCW at least carry something decent...

Hee Nalu
Oldtimer69
secret spots are my forte

Postby smithgrind » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:09 pm

sweating to the oldtimer's gun is purty...did you pick it
up at the Hamlet Quick Stop at the corner of 26 and 53?

That place is so cool.
smithgrind
greystoke

Next

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners