Change font size   Print view

Issues of Localism

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

have you personally experienced localism against you?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:37 pm

No
50%
yes
50%

Total votes : 14

Postby Jacob » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:20 pm

Run him over next time.
Jacob
I do it Beavertail style

Postby Bison » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:30 pm

Koo Nass wrote:And then Bison punched himself in the face taking his wetsuit off.

Ha :lol: ha :lol: ha...good one!

It worked though...

no actually after a couple of minutes of being egged on I said fine then let's go in....we paddled in for a while then he said something about me not being worth it and turned around. I went out for one more wave then bailed...
no weak heart shall prosper
Bison
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby thurgood jenkins » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:27 pm

Websters dictionary for pu$$ies defines the phrase: "You're not worth it"

This phrase is often used when wannabe tough guys make idle threats expecting that the one they target will run away from the confrontation.

However when said target stands up to challenge wannabe tough guy must then re-evaluate the situation.

Knwing full well that they're a pu$$ie and are incapable of beating anything except their own member and the first castle in Super Mario Bro.s the golden get out of jail free card of "You're not even worth it" comes in to play.

This allows pu$$ie to leave the tense situation looking not only tough as you're completely game to antagonize and fight, but also diginified and busy as if you have so many prior engagements to take care of that you are unable to beat targets kook a$$.

Lucky for him you got so much on your plate or that bastard would be dead!
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby goinleft » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:59 pm

Yeah man, I got a feeling that guy probably doesn't have any more room for error with the local cops because he doesn't seem too keen for fighting when you tell him to fk-off and get in his face. Still wouldn't mind throwing him a blanket party though. It would be nice to surf out there with no worries.
fk off!
goinleft
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby Bison » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:17 am

I was thinking I'd go the peace pipe route if it did actually make it to the beach...I'm not a fighter and really didn't want to scrap any more than he did.
no weak heart shall prosper
Bison
snowboarder know-it-all

Westport posturing

Postby Dano » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:44 am

So apparently my brother (lives in Seattle) and my highschool friend (lives in Olympia), who are 6'3" 220 and 6'4" 250 respectively paddled out to a peak at the Cove in Westport on Saturday. I guess there were some nice, smaller waves that were creating nice barrels. My bro paddled on his 6'1 Hanel Fish and Matt paddled on his 9'0 Timpone performance longboard. As they neared the peak they had eyed that had only 2 guys on it, one small 120 lb nothing starts barking at them. "What" "Why you gotta paddle out here" "You see me here so you gotta paddle out here too" "Look at all the other peaks" (they went to the least crowded peak) "Can you even surf?" "why you need the big board" "Im a local here" 'I hate you guys from seattle, ruining my day". All this before seeing either of them catch a wave. So my bro and Matt paddle right up on him and sit right next to him and watch him as he keeps spouting off. On and on and on.

My bro gets sick of it, and rather than stoop to this dikheads level and punch the guy (like he wanted to do) he just paddled down to the next peak. Matt, who can be more agressive than my bro, stayed right on the peak with the lipper. Finally a set comes and Matt spins, drops, smashes the lip (he can surf that longboard vertically) and pulls into a small barrel. As he paddles out the guys is all of a sudden silent. Another wave comes, same result and this time the guy all of a sudden is all friendly. He starts in with "hey man, nice waves" "I havent seen anyone surf a longboard like that". Matt just point blank asks him, "Have you ever been punched?" The guy goes on some song and dance about how because he is so small he has to be loud to keep his spot uncrowded blah blah blah. Matt just tells the guy "you're lucky were older, have changed our ways and are too hung over to want to deal with you. Combined we outweigh you by 4 of 5 times. Are you an idiot? " To which the guy aquiesces and asks if everything is cool. Matt tells him he's cool, but that my bro is still super pissed and is going to be waiting for him in the parking lot. I guess the guy just ran up the beach all quiet, changed and left while my bro and Matt laughed at him. All of the bravado was gone.

So what makes little guys get all puffed up anyway? What gives someone the right to talk sh1t before they even see you surf? And how many locals are all talk like this kid?

And who is a local at Westport? If you go by who lives in Westport or even Aberdeen, there cant be that many, but there sure are a lot of guys who like to claim it.

Im all for locals and some degree of order and enforcing, but barking at competent surfers who are twice your size who are as much a local there as anyone else (thats where they always surf) is just asking for a beat down.

Was this anyone on this BB? Care to rebuke the second hand story?
Last edited by Dano on Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby thurgood jenkins » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:56 am

I am not suprised I am usually hassled like that or to some degree when I get there, unfortunately I am usually solo and outnumbered so I rarely say much. Getting lipped off by "locals" at Westport is the status quo. It's not really a complete Westport weekend without having dto deal with at least one prick in the water. Say the guy who was doing the lipping a short skinny guy with dark brown short cut hair, goatee, and an excel wetsuit. If so that guys' all talk he hassles anyone he doesn't rec ognize but if you stand up to him he's usually fine and just goes and hassles the next person. He surfs really well though, but his attitude leaves a lot to be desired.
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby The Betty » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:58 am

Never had one person say a word to me at Westport.
The Betty

Postby The Landlord » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:04 am

Dano-
Glad your brother and his friend took the high road, but it also would've been nice if they ripped the tongue out of that little pr!cks head.

Lesson: YOU NEVER KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO.
Shall we roll it Jimmy?
The Landlord
Hawaii big surf veterinarian

Postby Dano » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:12 am

The Landlord wrote:Dano-
Glad your brother and his friend took the high road, but it also would've been nice if they ripped the tongue out of that little pr!cks head.

Lesson: YOU NEVER KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO.

Ten years ago, they prob. would have been drunk already (or still drunk from the night before) and the outcome would have been much much different. The funny thing is, we are all used to being abused by huge mokes in the water, but never 120 lb nothings. WTF??
humbled!
Dano

Postby thurgood jenkins » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:19 am

Betty your tig a$$ bitties are the reason you have not been hassled in Westport but pretty much every guy I know that surfs there but is not from there has taken some flack at one point.

It's never anything major but it can be frustrating and put a damper on the session. The thing that is the most frustrating about it is that in my experience it happens when it's not really even crowded. I can understand people getting frustrated when it's crowded out but when there's less than a half a dozen guys out.

I fdon't understand these people, does copping this attitude give them stoke, joy, or happiness, or are they so far gone and have they completely forgot what being stoked and happy is?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby Dano » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:26 am

Dont get me wrong, I am all for localism keeping things orderly, but if two guys who can clearly surf (and who will clearly destroy you if they choose to), and surf that spot alot, paddle out and make your lineup swell to a whopping four guys and are all about sharing waves, does it make sense to lip off at them? At this point it serves no purpose.
humbled!
Dano

Postby pro moe » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:38 am

Generally when someone paddles out on longboard at the spot famous for 3 second rides its hard to tell if the friend is part of ninety eight percent that are totally clueless that go out
it seems that as soon as it was evident your buddy could surf things cooled down and if he continues to go out there he will find his place as a regular without to much hassle
pro moe
duck diving fool

Postby Dano » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:46 am

pro moe wrote:
it seems that as soon as it was evident your buddy could surf things cooled down and if he continues to go out there he will find his place as a regular without to much hassle

yeah.. they are out there alot (it would be more but you gotta feed the kids). They are not newbies to the spot by any stretch.

SO are you saying you should expect to take crap from some jackass UNTIL you've proven you can surf? How about if you kook it out and get in someones way, THEN they tell you to beat it. That seems more reasonable. The bark first, apologize later routine is going to get this kid creamed when he come across a younger version of my bro and friend, espcially since he isn't prepared to back it up.
Last edited by Dano on Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
humbled!
Dano

Postby The Betty » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:47 am

thurgood jenkins wrote:Betty your tig a$$ bitties are the reason you have not been hassled in Westport but pretty much every guy I know that surfs there but is not from there has taken some flack at one point.

Uh..my bra size has nothing to do with my board abilities. Once you earn respect in the lineup its pretty much yours unless you screw it up. I never give anyone a reason to be disrespectful. I keep to myself, even if I arrive with a crew. I consistently thrash. Im pretty recognizable since there are not many girls who can tear it up. When it comes down to it, being a female does not get you special treatment in surfing. No one gives me waves, they just stay away from the waves that belongs to me. I have earned my own waves and now when I surf my regular spots they are available to me no matter how crowded it gets. I give the same respect to the ole boys sitting one swell over and those dudes dont give 7fux about my tits.
The Betty

PreviousNext

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners