Change font size   Print view

epoxy outrage

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

pop outs will never replace hand crafted

never, hand shaped will survive
91%
the hand writing is in the wall
9%

Total votes : 23

epoxy outrage

Postby Gazsurf » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 pm

http://portland.craigslist.org/spo/149441228.html

Will this really kill the small shaper? Or is it the realistic direction for a recreational activity in a modern age?
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby Doc » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:53 pm

I don't own an epoxy...yet

I have checked epoxies out...a Takayama Egg that looked pretty sweet...but I couldn't bring myself to buy it...too many other options still out there.

I definitely worry about the delam factor with epoxies...although don't know if this is an issue that's been improved or resolved...

I have no intention of buying a poput Surftech...I think I'll just call Seven when I need a new board

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby smithgrind » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:17 am

Gaz, it all about the ducket$. Whatever is profitable and what
the people want will rise to the top of sales charts. Doesn't
mean you can't get what you want, it just may cost you a bit more.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Gazsurf » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:51 am

smithgrind wrote:Gaz, it all about the ducket$. Whatever is profitable and what
the people want will rise to the top of sales charts. Doesn't
mean you can't get what you want, it just may cost you a bit more.

I agree, your last sentence says it all, as long as good shapers can catch your eye, their boards will be in the lineup. Only a few poly guys have made small fortunes at shaping and many have ghost shapers doing the bulk of their work. Backyard shapers won't disappear most come to the craft out of love or necessity and will stay with it for those reasons.

The medium and larger shops will end up supplementing their stock with containers of boards and sell local sticks to those who have or believe they have a more discriminating palette.
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby intrepid » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:34 pm

This is like the choice between Franzia and a smaller Willamette Valley Winery. Each wine has its own place and consumers.
intrepid
I tube ride side saddle

Postby The Betty » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:10 pm

I like my chillable red franzia boards. I dont get as emotional when I bust them up. Im still mourning the crack in my august girl. She will never be the same. If you drink expensive wine in a coffee mug you dont get any drunker.
The Betty

Postby intrepid » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:44 pm

The Betty wrote:If you drink expensive wine in a coffee mug you dont get any drunker.

It helps if you use a straw. :wink:
intrepid
I tube ride side saddle

Postby rveesurfdawg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:00 am

I hope this is not the case.
I think its great for the industry to have new technology for people to try and be stoked about. However, hand craft is hand craft. Just something about it that we all love. I ride Epoxy boards now pretty much exclusivly.
Although I still have a garage full of PU. For some reason I'm loving these new boards. I think If I was to ride the same shape only PU I wouldn't really notice. I'd love em both. I would just be stoked.. For me it's more the shape, rails, nose, tail etc. That I'm in love with. I'm not really good enough or should I say defined enough to really call out the differences in feel regarding epoxy. Once i'm on a wave I pretty much go blank and enjoy the moment. Not really thinking all the techs of the board. As long as it gets me up and down the face I'm in.
Kinda hard tellin not knowin. .
rveesurfdawg
Last year's hot surfer

Postby thurgood jenkins » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:26 am

meh I think hand shaped poly will always be around epoxy just gives us more options...
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby smithgrind » Sun May 11, 2008 10:17 pm

2 years later and foam is far from dead. My last two boards are hand shaped PU and I couldn't be happier.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby 47 Degrees » Mon May 12, 2008 6:01 pm

i have both kinds. The epoxy is tough.. flew off the roof of the car, patched it up, and i ride that the most
47 Degrees

Postby fossilgrom » Mon May 12, 2008 7:30 pm

Got a few epoxy boards and like them all. What's not to like, consistant shape, light weight, reasonable price, tougher. Also, there are quite a few shapers out there working with EPS and epoxy now so you can still get the one-off soul in epoxy if that is what you are looking for.
free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Postby Snow2Sea » Mon May 12, 2008 8:07 pm

I surf these things that help me catch waves and stuff.....they float, some better than others. The rails dig, making me turn, some better than others...I could go on, but some things are better than others....
Boardriding is about timing and style...It’s youthful, active, casual, and free flowing. There is no wrong way to ride a board. The goal is simply to learn, progress, improve, and give it your own interpretation.
Snow2Sea
I've wax combed my pubes

Postby redliner » Tue May 13, 2008 1:17 am

I have two fish(es?). Both 6'5".
One's epoxy-not a popout-but not custom.

The other board Nick Nolte-I mean Bates, made for me.

The epoxy stays at home.

The others are all hand shaped. Always should be.
It always gets good after everyone leaves.
redliner
neoprene queen

Postby speelyei » Tue May 13, 2008 7:58 am

Ill ride anything. I dont care. and none of 'em are free. not that they should be. but trying financial times neccesitate thrift. If my buddy becomes a surftech dealer and the bro deal materializes, i'll jump ship faster than you can say Jiminy Cricket.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Next

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners