Change font size   Print view

Calling out Sam Larson

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Is it acceptable to post directions and pictures on wannasurf?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes : 18

Postby wanty » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:38 pm

Its difficult to quantify the effects of wannasurf. i havent surfed long enough, nor do i live close enough to the beach to notice. Most spots are simple to find anyways. And with a map, people can find all kinds of surf spots. I really prefer a good map over wannasurf. Theres one spot on there that i wish the directions were posted though! but i do have my suspicions.
wanty
Site Admin

Postby wawaverider » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:18 pm

Betty, while what you say is very true especially if you don't like it don't post it but what do you do about the tirds that do post and show no respect?
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Sparky » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:17 pm

wawaverider wrote:Betty, while what you say is very true especially if you don't like it don't post it but what do you do about the tirds that do post and show no respect?

Why not just derail the thread. Change the subject to something else. Happens alot around here :o
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Postby wawaverider » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:48 pm

Sure sounds great lets just bury our heads in the sand!!!
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Sparky » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:07 pm

wawaverider wrote:Sure sounds great lets just bury our heads in the sand!!!

OK so what is your suggestion to fix the problem? Piss and moan some more? Hey that has been working just great.. As GW Bush says.. stay the course :evil:
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Postby wawaverider » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:31 pm

I guess that this whole forum should be obliterated since it is bitch and moan
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby MedicineHat » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:23 am

I live close enough to the beach to notice.
MedicineHat
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby The Betty » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:03 pm

Medcap is a local.

I got localized over the weekend in Snatchee. Well not by a local but someone of blood relation to the locals. A fat lip (wink wink) and a guilty conscience for smoking to much and working to little.

Someone mentioned derailing and I fig'd its been a few weeks since any of you have bitched about locals.
The Betty

Postby gills » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:15 pm

The Betty wrote:Its the yuppy Sherman Alexi fags in wranglers and cowboy costumes driving lincoln navigators that say native pride but dont eat frybread cause its fattening

That rules. But I don't eat it because of Hepatitus A. Oh and by the way, Betts, that is my favorite written sentence I've read in 2006 so far.
gills

Postby SoCalBarger » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:03 am

Sorry to de-thread the de-threading but Wannasurf is worse for surfing than Gidget or the Beach Boys combined. Down here I notice the new faces with out of town boards trying to surf spots they never would have found on their own. The only saving grace is that there is a lot of mis-information on there.
SoCalBarger
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby thurgood jenkins » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:30 am

I wouldn't say wanna surf is worse than Beach Boys and Gidget combined. Gidget and the BEach Boys exposed the surf culture (or their version of it to the main stream) as a result surfing became the cool thing to do and hundreds of thousands of people got surf boards and before you knew it you went from a few thousand surfers in California to a couple million.

Wanna Surf while it gives out the goods on all sorts of surf spots, I don't think it's directly responsible for adding to crowding of spots or getting more people to surf. It's more of a resource for people that surf but don't know where too many spots are. The misinformation helps a bit, however even though it makes some "Secret Spots" a little more crowded it does tend to help spread out the crowds. I personally don't mind the site too much, in fact there are more spots and details listed on this site about Oregon than there is on wanna surf, although Washington is a different story though out of the 37 spots listed on there probably only lioke 20 of them are legit.
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby The Betty » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:56 am

Someone should post a link to wannasurf just in case any of the 13 "guests" on here at the moment are to stupid to find it on there own. Wouldnt want anyone to miss out on all the "secret" spots of Oregon.....

Hey you know what would be even more brilliant? Posting a comment with a link to OSP on every spot from CA to Canada. This is gonna take all day.
The Betty

Postby Sixtwo240 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:22 pm

Dano wrote:
Doc wrote:I can't wait to surf Swamis again...I'm waiting until everyone is tired of it tho...so it's uncrowded as when I surfed it in '79...about a dozen guys out, overhead, offshore and reeling...

Not anymore man...sadly. I never got it like that.

I got it neckers and hallow recently w/ me and one buddy last full moon.
Of course it was 11:30 p.m. though.
Still one of my favorite sessions.
Mid day when the wind is blowing a little more can be empty but still super fun. I've caught that sesh a few time recently as well.
Still nothing like back in the day though.
I like frogs
Sixtwo240
I love a good soft top

Postby wawaverider » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:24 pm

funny thing is you can pretty much drive highway 101 (1) in Oregon and see quite a few of the good breaks, I didn't even know what I found when I first surfed Seaside point as crazy as that sounds, I didn't know it was "the Point", just explored on my own. Personally I find it funner that way. Now if I was going to spend the lots of money going to the Azores, Portugal or wherever then I would research it with WannaSurf or other surfing websites
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Fish » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:02 pm

Hey!!!!!....2 months later.........isn't Sam Larson and editor of Surfer mag or something?
Fish
boogie boarders run ME over!

PreviousNext

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners