Change font size   Print view

Calling out Sam Larson

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Is it acceptable to post directions and pictures on wannasurf?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes : 18

Calling out Sam Larson

Postby MedicineHat » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:38 pm

Hey sam, why is your face on wannasurf?

Why did your friend post pictures and directions to spots?

Why couldn't you just go, have a good time, tell a few friends, and leave it at that?
MedicineHat
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby The Betty » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:09 am

Medicinehat aka Sam Larson

If you are embarrassed by your actions medicinesam, then better to learn by them.
The Betty

Postby Everett Surf Star » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:56 am

I completely support wanna surf. Unfortunately I don't have the time to explore anymore. Give me the directions so I can catch a couple waves before I have to go back to work. It's sad but its reality.
Everett Surf Star
secret spots are my forte

Postby MedicineHat » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:27 am

Betty
Last edited by MedicineHat on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MedicineHat
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby thurgood jenkins » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:29 pm

I don't know this is a mixed bag for me, I'll admit to have used that site for info. Unfortunately in this day and age of most folks working 5 - 6 days a week who has time to explore. When you actually do have time off to explore you want to surf not make pointless 1 hour long hikes through brush and mud only to find no waves, even though the spot may be epic when the tide, and swell is right. Exploring is great if you have the time, but realistically should all of us who work for a living be forced to surf the same played out beachbreaks with easy access just so we can leave the more secluded and possibly better quality waves to the unemployed, or illegally employed, or welfare recipient surfers who do not work for a living and actually have the time to explore our PNW coast line?

On the other hand somethings are better kept as secrets among friends. I have never posted a spot on wannasurf and probably never will but I will freely share spots I have found or surfed among folks who have a good attitude and are just stoked and looking for something new. Granted there are secrets I may never share except with my closest friends but for the most part I don't have a problem with spreading the knowledge.
People say if secret spots get out then everywhere will be crowded. Thats total bs.

Surf spots in the PNW are crowded because especially in the case of Canada there is limited access and only a few breaks that are consistent and even though our population of surfers is relativley low in ratio to the spots that are well known and easily accessable (less then 20) half being seasonal (winter only or the occasional macking spring - fall swell).

Sharing the knowledge would only spread out the crowds so instead of having a few spots that are always packed (shorties, Long beach, Westport) you'd have a whole lot more spots that would have half a dozen or so folks on them. I'm not saying you should out every secret there is people should have to do some exploring on there own, but I do not see the harm with sharing knowledge amongst friends. Although, that being said, just because you found a killer secret spot doesn't mean you have to tell the whole world...
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby The Betty » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:33 pm

Theeee very best location for surf on the washington side of the strait is listed on wanna several times under diff names....and yet, never seen it very crowded. Gills could tell you why.

The benefit to wanna is this: There are a few non existant spots with like 3 and 4 stars. Brilliant. The idiots that go in search of those spots end up at westport. Not my straits.

And what the hell is a bobwire?????? Uh...barbed wire? Fuggen priceless directions to.
The Betty

Postby Foul Pete » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:07 pm

all the entries for wales are completely made up.
Foul Pete

Postby gills » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:16 pm

I use wannasurf for ideas, not for true info--....but seriously, if you live in this region, surf, even if you have to work a lot and can't surf every day, but are a true surfer, you're an idiot if you can't figure out where to go when. IF you live in this region, surf, and are a real surfer, you know someone who knows someone who has surfed everywhere documented. You can ask around. If you're true blue, other surfers will help. If you're a kook you deserve bad info. Being low-profile, respectful and savvy makes all the difference in the world.
gills

Postby thurgood jenkins » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:28 pm

Fookin a rights. with that site you read between the bs. Usually you can find info from other surferws though sometimes it's hard. Wanna surf is no biggie, most of the directions or spots are made up as Betty said however some are legit. Either way so many of our spots are so fickle and people choose the wrong time to check them, go once and it's flat and never return so it's no big deal.
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby Dr Sloth » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:11 am

It seems to reason that someone should get on Wannasurf and start creating all kinds of imaginative "secret spots" :twisted:

It won't be me though because I am too busy learing Semaphore and Dancing Men! <-- see a different post
Big Promises + Secrecy x Fast Track = Liquid Natural Gas (LNG)
We don't need no stinkin LNG

Sign the No LNG petition --> http://www.rainforestwildlife.org/No%20LNG.htm
Dr Sloth
baitfish expert

Postby Dano » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:34 am

Perhaps some of the spots on Wannsurf are made up or have bogus directions, however that is not always the case. Some of my favorite spots in remote places are on that site with fairly detailed (and accurate) directions, including pics. Fuhk that sh1t. Im not talking about super exclusive secret spots, but Im not talking about places that are all that easy to find either.

It's like this. If you are too lazy and inept to find the spot with a little bit of research and exploration, or you don't know someone who has put the time in and is willing to disclose the goods with you, or take you there themselves, then you really don't need to be surfing there. Go surf the shorties and swamis of the world with all the rest of the lazy, uninspired kooks (and don't give me this no time BS). If you are posting pics and directions to lesser known spots on the net you are a fuhking kook. End of discussion!
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby Sparky » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:04 am

Dano wrote:Perhaps some of the spots on Wannsurf are made up or have bogus directions, however that is not always the case. Some of my favorite spots in remote places are on that site with fairly detailed (and accurate) directions, including pics. Fuhk that sh1t. Im not talking about super exclusive secret spots, but Im not talking about places that are all that easy to find either.

It's like this. If you are too lazy and inept to find the spot with a little bit of research and exploration, or you don't know someone who has put the time in and is willing to disclose the goods with you, or take you there themselves, then you really don't need to be surfing there. Go surf the shorties and swamis of the world with all the rest of the lazy, uninspired kooks (and don't give me this no time BS). If you are posting pics and directions to lesser known spots on the net you are a fuhking kook. End of discussion!

I totally agree and feel this attitude needs to spill over to other areas besides just surfing. Christ what is up with this thing called the yellow pages? If people are looking for a resturant or an auto mechanic, get out there and explore. Why should my favorite resturant be full of kooks when I want a meal because so many kooks were to lazy to explore for themself and find a place to eat. (dripping with sarcasm)

Oviously someone has been to Wanasurf.com or they would not know about these posts of question. I am sure all of you have no objections to yourself getting info from these sights just so long as no one else does.
If you truely only explore for yourself and never use books or the internet to locate new areas to surf you would not even know what is posted on these locations. Personally I have never checked out Wanasurf.com but attitudes like this make me want to go there and post directions to every surf spot I have ever seen, surfed or heard of. What is next? Dogging Stormriders? :evil:
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Postby The Betty » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:31 am

sparks pissed cause of the drive through line at tacosnatch
The Betty

Postby Dano » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:41 am

The difference Sparky is that the yellow pages and resturants are advertising places of business looking to bring in customers and make a profit. Maybe you want the same from our surf spots so you can pay to ride your 9'6 after waiting in the bar for 30 minutes?

EDIT: Of course I have been to wanna surf. How can you avoid it. The first time was because a friend told me about a few spots I used to surf regularly that were detailed on there and I I looked in disbelief. Every time I do so it angers me. Sorry, but I don't like it. To each his own I guess.

When you travel I bet you like those Let's Go and Lonely Planet books yeah?

PS - no need to go post directions to all your favorite spots out of spite. I am sure they are all listed there already.
Last edited by Dano on Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby Doc » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:45 am

Per Dano:
Go surf the shorties and swamis of the world with all the rest of the lazy, uninspired kooks

I have surfed both...

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Next

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners