Change font size   Print view

True or False?

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Kiters are yuppies, surfers are hippies.

Poll ended at Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:11 pm

True
20%
False
80%

Total votes : 5

True or False?

Postby paulchristi » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:11 pm

True or False, this is not a test, just a conversation starter:

Kiters are yuppies, surfers are hippies.

Consideration 1: Kiter pulls up in the large late model SUV, picks through thousands of dollars of gear, lugs some to the beach, spends 45 minutes rigging it up and talking to other kiters about their gear, dons his wetsuit with $50 boardshorts on the OUTSIDE, and takes off blasting 20 mph across the waves and whitecaps. After the ride, gets together with other kiters as they try to outbid each other on how much air they got and how they tore up the water.

Consideration 2: Surfer pulls up in something with 4 wheels, pulls out a board with a few dings that have been repaired, dons a wetsuit with Target boardshorts on the INSIDE, and paddles out into 6 foot surf with a 6 second period. After two hours, having made a dozen drops only to get closed out upon, hangs around the parking lot for a few minutes and says "man is it great to spend some time out on the ocean".

(Needless to say, I'm a surfer. My wife made the statement that I pose to all of you for consideration.)
paulchristi
Mermaided

Postby gills » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:16 pm

surfers are gods and goddessess, everyone else is just, well, everyone else.
gills

Postby mjr shrinkage » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:26 pm

i am reading between the lines that good employment makes you less cool?...funny how only losers think that being a loser is cool....trunks on the INSIDE?.......how long have you been surfing?......surfing does not make you a deity nor does it make you cool....your character and personality does.
ay caramba!!
mjr shrinkage
duck diving fool

Postby Dr Sloth » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:45 pm

mjr shrinkage wrote:i am reading between the lines that good employment makes you less cool?...funny how only losers think that being a loser is cool....trunks on the INSIDE?.......how long have you been surfing?......surfing does not make you a deity nor does it make you cool....your character and personality does.

PEACE!
Big Promises + Secrecy x Fast Track = Liquid Natural Gas (LNG)
We don't need no stinkin LNG

Sign the No LNG petition --> http://www.rainforestwildlife.org/No%20LNG.htm
Dr Sloth
baitfish expert

Postby thurgood jenkins » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:32 pm

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!!!

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby MedicineHat » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:11 am

boardshorts on the inside

commando only.
MedicineHat
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby Snow2Sea » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:13 am

mjr shrinkage wrote:i am reading between the lines that good employment makes you less cool?...funny how only losers think that being a loser is cool......surfing does not make you a deity nor does it make you cool....your character and personality does.

Well put my friend

I'M RICH BIATCH!
Boardriding is about timing and style...It’s youthful, active, casual, and free flowing. There is no wrong way to ride a board. The goal is simply to learn, progress, improve, and give it your own interpretation.
Snow2Sea
I've wax combed my pubes

Postby Everett Surf Star » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:26 am

I don't know about that. Car (two in the family), wetsuits (4 of them), surfboards (I have 6 of them), gas money (300 miles round trip), camping money, beer money, food money, board bags, leashes, wax, ding repair, etc... I don't know of any hippies that can afford this sport.
Everett Surf Star
secret spots are my forte

Postby gills » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:33 am

mjr shrinkage wrote:i am reading between the lines that good employment makes you less cool?...funny how only losers think that being a loser is cool....trunks on the INSIDE?.......how long have you been surfing?......surfing does not make you a deity nor does it make you cool....your character and personality does.

Come on now shrinkage, I was kidding.
gills

Postby Search and Destroy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:55 am

I just would like to say not all surfers are hippies. Yes in Oregon we have way more hippy surfers, then lets say Cali-KOOKS VILL!, but some are just retarted a-hole jocks who need to be put down and out. I hate agro's- sorry didn't mean to get off subject. But then again there are a lot of kooks in Oregon more so then hippies.

You should take into thought that alot of kooks are people just starting out and yes some do try and take it serioulsy and others well need I say more!
So if someone is starting for the first time and they know there place then I give them props and there not concidered a total kook. hahaha, just playin. But if your crowdin the line up then you should be careful cause some a-holes out here don't take to kindly to that. If you see me I'll be the one with a huge smile on my face surfin it up. A newbie or not I let anyone go if they really need a wave to survive- I'm there for all you a-hole's and Kooks.

P.S. If your surfin shorties and someone gets in the way- thats part of surfin at shorties, it's bound to happin, it will happin, and its happing right now.
"LIVE FREE" Die In "PEACE"
Search and Destroy
have I shown you the swing room?

Postby SoCalBarger » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:35 pm

Down here surfers come from all walks of life. In my town hardcore gangmembers surf alongside yuppie bankers alongside, hippies, jocks etc. BUT, kite surfing is strictly for rich yuppies.
SoCalBarger
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Gazsurf » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:05 pm

In my town the only resident kiteboarder is a slumlord......his monthly income comes from seedy surfers and the riff raff that visit to drink his beer. It's quite sad, I must say!
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby redliner » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:01 pm

Are you saying I should withhold my rent check?

.....he fixed the lawn mower AND the weedeater! Brave new horizons for MobileMadness(tm) and the PC/DC(tm) crew.
It always gets good after everyone leaves.
redliner
neoprene queen

Postby BlueandWhite » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:58 am

The majority of surfers I run into in Oregon / Washington aren't flower loving hippies or wine sniffing yuppies... They're hard working, PBR/Olympia/Ranier drinkin', blue collar, rednecks... But I guess I could say the same about the majority of people I run into on the Northwest coast. Besides the restaurant industry and manual labor (ie fishing, construction, etc...) how else do you make a living on the coast and still surf? Anyone that spends a signifigant amount of time in the ocean is typically down to earth, they realize what's important. Its not what you drive to the ocean, its just getting there...
"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."
- A. Einstein
BlueandWhite
Plover Murderer

Postby paulchristi » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:25 pm

Well said, blueandwhite.

As the originator of this nonsense, I can say that I appreciate all posts and thank you for taking the time to respond.

A little about me....yes, I've surfed in Oregon for some time (the older I get, the better I was), I'm fortunate to live on the north coast and have a good job. I'm neither hippie nor yuppie nor redneck, although my quiver of shirts include white embroidered cotton from Mexico, button down collars, and flannels from Costco.

Cheers and don't worry, you'll get a smile from me in the lineup.
paulchristi
Mermaided

Next

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners