Change font size   Print view

True or False?

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Kiters are yuppies, surfers are hippies.

Poll ended at Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:11 pm

True
20%
False
80%

Total votes : 5

Postby The Betty » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:25 pm

So far all the resident oregon surfers I have met are yuppies. Today was a prime example. I dont know if its cause Im getting old but damn. Yuppers are starting to look fuggen fine.

Only kiter I ever met was a young stoner, close enough to a hippy.

Stiff I have been very careful about not bringing weed into every conversation on here. You need to appreciate my efforts when I make them. Oh wait this is not the derail thread.....
The Betty

Postby redliner » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:44 am

HAHAHA I know who you're talking about!!!!!

.....How am I a yup? :twisted:
It always gets good after everyone leaves.
redliner
neoprene queen

Postby wawaverider » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:31 pm

While I'm neither I think that the post had some good points. Surfing was not a sport of the preppies (if you want to go way back sure it was that of the Hawaiian kings so therefore preppies of their day). But in the 50's and 60's even 70's it was for the more alternative lifestyled person, somewhat of the social outcasts the outsiders. Now it is so friggin commercialized and mainstream.
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Dr Sloth » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:24 am

wawaverider wrote:Now it is so friggin commercialized and mainstream.

It has been since the 80s and I bet there is someone who would argue since the 70s. A true surfer is a surfer and it does not matter what form of life you choose.

If anyone is really worried (by the way, I could not care less), it is real easy to identify someone who is "into" surfing because they think they are cool. Actions speak louder.
Big Promises + Secrecy x Fast Track = Liquid Natural Gas (LNG)
We don't need no stinkin LNG

Sign the No LNG petition --> http://www.rainforestwildlife.org/No%20LNG.htm
Dr Sloth
baitfish expert

Postby Doc » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:54 am

I am not a hippy...

Although when I did have long hair...a friend of mine said I looked like one...

Another friend said "More like a Gypsy Joker"...

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby wawaverider » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:32 am

Sloth I can see how many would say that it started in the 70's that is when competition really started to get popular. I believe that surfers are surfers whether they are broke like me or yuppies. With the commercialization of surfing it seems like it has changed the mentality and view of surfing by and large. I can't really say remember the good old days because I started surfing in the late 80's. But since then I have definetely seen a change in the surf culture for better and worse (mostly worse).
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby the dude » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:48 am

Consideration 1: Kiter pulls up in the large late model SUV

the dude has never ever seen a kiter drive a large late model SUV. Kiters and Surfers share the same feeling and desire. They are the same, what ever you want to call them.
the dude
I do it Beavertail style

Postby The Betty » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:53 pm

It has a lot to do with age. I rarely meet female surfers, but when i do they are normally girlfriends of some one who is a surfer, and not really a surfer them self. Im sure its not like that everywhere, but there are not many female surfers on the strait. when I meet men surfing the younger dudes seem to be jock/prep types and the older boys are most often college educated career men from the city. Id say yuppy. But I dont know how to define yuppy or hippy or for that matter surfer.
The Betty

Postby Search and Destroy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:10 pm

How about me Betty, I come from a small chibone, hick town. Also known as the capital of Mexico. Grew up on farm land. Got older and lived in the suberbs working and going to school. Graduated. Traveled for a couple years with no money bummed it all over the U.S.A. Hitched trains and slept in many of hostoles in San Fran, to Arizona, Louisiana, Texas, Georgia, New York, etc. I now am living in my 76 Ford f 250 with a 360 big block crusin up and down the coast smokin weed drinkin beer and surfin as many waves as possible.

P.S. I may have just given myself away just now, but what the fuk, I'm just freakin curious, thats all.
"LIVE FREE" Die In "PEACE"
Search and Destroy
have I shown you the swing room?

Postby Foul Pete » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:31 pm

Search and Destroy wrote:How about me Betty, I come from a small chibone, hick town. Also known as the capital of Mexico. Grew up on farm land. Got older and lived in the suberbs working and going to school. Graduated. Traveled for a couple years with no money bummed it all over the U.S.A. Hitched trains and slept in many of hostoles in San Fran, to Arizona, Louisiana, Texas, Georgia, New York, etc. I now am living in my 76 Ford f 250 with a 360 big block crusin up and down the coast smokin weed drinkin beer and surfin as many waves as possible.

P.S. I may have just given myself away just now, but what the fuk, I'm just freakin curious, thats all.

i know you Sad. i have followed you. i'm following you.
Foul Pete

Postby Doc » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:16 pm

What's "chibone"?

They don't teach that word in schools...

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby tippy toes » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:57 am

don't worry paulchristi... these here are some rough folks. i have a good job that allows me to work 3 days a week and live comfortably, and i surf the other 4. i see the point of your thread and i agree. i was in hood river last week and walked into one of the kite stores just to look and see what sorts or crazy gear they had... they guys at the store were the worst! total tools! they really did seem to gear their sales pitches towards yuppies who were trying to get into what was "radical." it reminded me of disneyland or some other kind of pre-packaged corporate "fun." creepy. at least when you go into a surf shop they just ignore you.
SURF WHERE YOU LIVE
tippy toes
blood donor with every wipeout

Postby Search and Destroy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:26 am

Russian Language-(Chibone)- A short dark skinned male or female, usually male. Who escapes the Rio Grand river to supposedly get a better life. Also known as a wet back, illegal, or more friendly a mexican, but a wet back should suffice.

I'm only racist against stupid people!
"LIVE FREE" Die In "PEACE"
Search and Destroy
have I shown you the swing room?

Postby 2tone » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:49 pm

I don't really see a connection between these labels and surfing... One can be a yuppie or a hippie without ever surfing in their lives... and vise versa.... I do agree that when surfing becomes the center of one's life, it does change that person....... How, what and when... I don't know that I'd put a hippie or yuppie label to it... How about dazed and confused surfer?

I love to suf... and the more and longer I do it, the more I love it... It's like a mutual fund... There are times with it goes down and times when it goes up but generally, long term inventment - it goes up... Does that statement of comparison make me a yuppie? I don't think I have enough $ to be a yuppie....
2tone

Postby nm » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:00 pm

2tone wrote:... It's like a mutual fund... There are times with it goes down and times when it goes up but generally, long term inventment - it goes up...

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!! :lol: good one girlie! :lol:

2tone wrote:Does that statement of comparison make me a yuppie?

No. It makes you a friggin' bean counter. KNOCK-IT-OFF! :lol: :lol:
nm
somebody call my lawyer

PreviousNext

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners