Change font size   Print view

I'ts Bash the Oregonian Time!!!!

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Should we bombard The Oregonian with letters to the Editor?

Yes
56%
No
22%
I can't read....
22%

Total votes : 9

Postby leashplug » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:25 pm

tmlowtech57 wrote:on their brand new Lopez or JC Hawaii board. Then they'll paddle around like they own the place giving stink eye like they are a local.

Hey, what's wrong with Lopez boards? Next, you'll post how only the "cool" or "in the know" Oregon locals just ride local shapers. Right? Since when does the logo on the board really affect surfing ability.

I also find the stink eye entertaining from anyone, true "local" or not. I don't stink eye, I am just not very "social" in the water. I paddle out to surf, not to socialize.
leashplug
coffee WAS my drug of choice

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:35 pm

The response...

Hi, David,

Thank you for writing. I really appreciate your perspective on our
story about where to watch surfers along the North coast. While our
intent was to tell people where they could see experienced surfers do
their thing, NOT surf themselves, I can see where someone might
misintrepret that.

So I appreciate your reminder that we should always be cautious and
underscore the necessity of being fully experienced before trying
surfing along the Oregon coast.

Thank you, again, for writing.

Gwenda Richards Oshiro
Editor, Destination NW

I think she just called me a dumb@ss..... :x
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

The Daily Fish Wrapper

Postby Trula » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:27 pm

Hey I got a reply also except that they were maybe a little nicer and they asked me to use part of my letter. I hope it is the dangers part. But I made sure not to say anything postive about surfing so we will see. At least they don't auto delete anything to do with us. Mine was from a different person also.
Portland - Where young people go to retire.
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

yep...

Postby andyjade » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:26 pm

As I rolled into the LC Mickey D's for breakfast, I happened to glance upon the front page of the Oregonian. I was, at first, taken a back as the headline alone sparks fear. Having worked as a lifeguard on some popular Cali beaches, I know the danger of the inspired "Step Into Liquid" crew. So, I plunked down my buck-fifty in ashtray change, and bought the thing to quell my curiosity. Surprisingly, I felt relief after flipping through pages of Bi-Mart ads. The story really wasn't that bad....for the most part, (save the trying-it-for-yourself-subsection). Sure, a lot of us have been asked for a picture by Nebraskans on a Lewis & Clark Trail tour, but I see no harm in having folks watch us from the comforts of the Minnie Winnie. The mere fact that they are at all interested has benefits. It is human nature to relate to members of our species. It's no secret that our oceans are full of a diverse array of flotsam and jetsam that once stemmed from Winnebago oil pans and mini-fridges. Perhaps if these folks saw people in the ocean, having fun, and enjoying nature, they would think twice about pizzing in our playground. So what if a few more Astro-vans park at Agate? At least the inhabitants are getting an education, of sorts. And, I also agree that the demographic in question would rather pose for snapshots in front of the statue of liberty. Just my two cents.......
andyjade
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Ron Burgundy » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:14 pm

andyjade, great point, agree to 99 percent. Can we please not park our astro vans at agate, though? K? That would be great.
I'm Ron Burgundy, go f#ck yourself San Diego
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Previous

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners