Change font size   Print view

I'ts Bash the Oregonian Time!!!!

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Should we bombard The Oregonian with letters to the Editor?

Yes
56%
No
22%
I can't read....
22%

Total votes : 9

I'ts Bash the Oregonian Time!!!!

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:38 pm

Sunday Oregonian....Travel Section....

Have your coffee...read...then start bashing...... :wink:

The term "irresponsible journalism" comes to mind rather easy......

ok...let's go!
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Unresponsible

Postby Trula » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:29 pm

I have not read the Sunday Oregoninan but on the topic of irresponsible. Today I went to the coast not to surf though I did take my gear just in case, to SHOP. We stopped at a surfshop because I needed more wax and I love the places. While I was checking out three people walked in who did not fluently speak English. It was a little obvious they never surfed. So I finish my transaction and sure enough they were there to rent. I left before I got to hear if they rented or not. Hopefully the surfshop employee was resposible and did not rent to them because there was no way that they would hafve survived today.

Also minivans with boards on the racks do not fit in the bottom of the parking garage in the LC outlets.
Portland - Where young people go to retire.
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

kookymonster

Postby maddestmouse » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:16 pm

so kooks, dont you mean someone read it to you?
maddestmouse
Plover Murderer

Postby riverjetty » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:01 pm

What did they do, give up the point??
riverjetty
i've put my fin in backwards

Link

Postby Trula » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:04 pm

Link
http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index. ... onian?trxs

And the authors email from the bottom of the article
Richard Fencsak is a frequent contributor to Destination NW. Reach him at destinationnw@news.oregonian.com
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:20 pm

here's a copy of the e-mail I just sent this clown.....

I'm not going to give you the "locals only" speech. I'm not going to go into how unethical it is to list the surf spots with directions. But I will go into how you did not even mention the rips that exist at a handful of these spots.

The Point and The Cove are plagued by rips that can either help you or damage you...and inexperienced surfers will get drilled into those big rolling cobblestones, or stuffed into the impact zone, or dragged out to sea.

Boiler Bay, and Deivil's have similar situations that are all very, very dangerous. Not to mention the fact that this ocean is not Malibu. It can and will bless you one moment, and the next moment you are scrapping for your life.

As a surfer in the PNW I have assisted many times with pulling dumb parents children out of rips that they get caught in...usually the whole time the parents are on the beach smiling like it is all fun. And now you go and throw this article out there with out any information on the very real dangers?

Every summer our line ups get more crowded with people that decide they are surfers, and every year the coast gaurd has to pull more people out. And every year there are more injuries and collisions and damage caused by inexperienced beginner surfers.

I won't even get into the indignities that one is subject to when you paddle out at a place like The Point without a written invitation from the local crew. The intimidation, harasment, waxing of car windows, slashing of tires, and bashing of windows.

This ain't the 'Bu, and Moondoggie don't live here.

Kook.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Article

Postby Trula » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:11 am

My email has been sent

I am writing this e-mail regarding the article in the Sunday Oregonian about surfing. From reading your article it was obvious that you do not surf and there for you left out some very key points and wrote some things that should have been left out. Research is crucial to good journalism.

One of the "rules" in Oregon surfing is that you don't just go telling everyone where the good surf spots are and if I am not mistaken that is what your article was about. I know what you referred to as the Devil's Punchbowl as Otter Rock and that is what it is always referred to as never the previous. It is not Moola beach it is Moolac (sp)... The Point in Seaside is notorious for being very unfriendly, vandalism occurs here to uninvited guests cars.

Your article was lacking in safety concerns..... There are major rips at almost all of the places that you mentioned in your article. Riptides are very dangerous especially to the inexperienced who don't know how to spot them or get out of them. Oregon is a very dangerous spot to surf and all of the surfers I know have had multiple close calls. Shark attacks do happen and it is shark season, there are rocks to get bashed on, big waves to hold you under ... Oregon is in no way comparable to Malibu....
Next time you think about writing an article involving Oregon surfing please be more considerate of us surfers, remember it is dangerous and do a lot more research.

That is my 2 Cents
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby Ron Burgundy » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:44 am

Moolack...moooooolack. But whatever, I don't surf there anyway.

I like his intentions, surfing definitely is a graceful sport that can sometimes be enjoyed just by watching. Hell, that's probably why I watch so many damn surfing flicks in the winter.

Perhaps his article should have came with a disclaimer, but that's the beauty of surfing...survival of the fittest, and the smartest.

Seriously, though, Agate does not get nice waves in the fall. Barrells? I have no idea what the hell he's talking about. Wouldn't surf there if you paid me. Anyway, see you all at the point :lol:
I'm Ron Burgundy, go f#ck yourself San Diego
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Postby wilko » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:09 am

:idea:
Last edited by wilko on Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilko

all the news thats fit to print

Postby Stiffler » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:55 am

Yeah, I read that too. Seriously though, I think the travel section is mostly read by trophy wives, rolex wearing landcruiser guys, and bored geriatrics. Maybe you'll see an influx of people because of that article, but they couldn't have timed it better. A few hours out in the impact zone this time of year would cure most peoples interest for life.
Stiffler

Postby Rico » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:30 pm

i read the article too and was not too pleased with it. the guy was obviously not a surfer talking about the surfers kick out after riding the wave for a few minutes... i dont know if i'm a bad surfer or what but i dont think i've had a ride thats lasted a few minutes.

cape kiwanda wasnt mentioned though thankfully
I DEmand your patronage... Mobilize my BattleTanks!!!
Rico
I love a good soft top

Postby tmlowtech57 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:23 pm

Its the rolex wearing Landcruiser/Hummer guys that I'm worried about. Some of them will decide that surfing is hip and paddle out in full poser mode with back arched no booties or gloves(cause they would take away some of their fine touch on the board) on their brand new Lopez or JC Hawaii board. Then they'll paddle around like they own the place giving stink eye like they are a local.

It is entertaining, however.

I dont think I have ever seen a tube at Agate Beach.
CHARLIE DONT SURF!
tmlowtech57
I wax the bottom of my board

every mushroom cloud has a silver lining

Postby Stiffler » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:50 pm

I'm hoping I can pick up a used board cheap after those guys find out it's cold, foggy, and about as far from the 'Bu as you can get...
Stiffler

Article

Postby Trula » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:46 pm

]"Watching surfers perform creates a rush . . . not as much as actually catching a wave yourself, but exciting nonetheless. And the fall season often produces the year's choicest surf along Oregon's north and central coastline"

Really?

They look like sea lions coming up for air, these fully wet-suited surfers bobbing on an undulating ocean.
Who are you calling a sea lion I am not that fat.

BOILER BAY
Massive swells sometimes break on an offshore reef at this big-wave surf spot named after the steam boiler from the J. Marhoffer, a small freighter that sank here in 1910. Park at the appropriately named Boiler Bay State ScenicViewpoint, but remain behind the fence -- waves often batter the cliffs, and ocean spray may give your vehicle a bath. Directions: 1.5 miles north of Depoe Bay, along U.S. 101.

Thanks for the info

the small waves here are transformed into what surfers call "tubes."

Oh really

Other nearby surfing hot spots include Beverly Beach and Moola Beach

Isn't that Moolack and Beverly ain't so hot, maybe if you boogie board.

DEVILS PUNCH BOWL

We don't call it that unless you get sucked in
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby Ron Burgundy » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:09 pm

trula, i think you might be developing some wilbur tendencies.

moolack wasn't too bad last week, though. There was a couple days with no wind, just a little bit of chop, but some sweet lefts and rights. Every spot has its days dude.
I'm Ron Burgundy, go f#ck yourself San Diego
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Next

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners