Change font size   Print view

Is surfing a "meritocracy"

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Poll ended at Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:10 pm

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes : 14

Postby pickleweed » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:10 pm

A meritocracy is defined as:

1. an elite group of people whose progress is based on ability and talent rather than on class privilege or wealth.
2. a system in which such persons are rewarded and advanced: The dean believes the educational system should be a meritocracy.
3. leadership by able and talented persons.

I think a lineup is a kind of "meritocracy". For example, on the whidbey island thread, there's mention of a surfer who drops in on people a lot. However, he's one of the best surfers in the PNW. Does he have more rights to a wave because he's more talented?
He's dropped in on me a few times, but it's never bothered me because He's a better surfer than me. Therefore, he can maximize a waves potential better than I can.
How does being a local factor into the question of whether surfing is a "meritocracy"? What about being Wilbur? Does a less talented local have more rights to a wave than a more talented travelling surfer? If that's the case, if a less talented local has more rights, then surfing isn't a meritocracy.
Alternatly, is ones right to a wave based on position alone, not talent, or merit.
Is surfing a meritocracy, or I have I been smoking the bong too much?
pickleweed

Postby stinkbug » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:54 pm

surfing is not a meritocracy.

It's more like a guild, or a union.

Those who are in the guild, are in. You have standing.

Locals take precedence over travelers. But skilled travelers are respected, and highly skilled travelers get preferential status in all but the most backward locales.

Apprentices are hazed.

A local apprentice has less status than a traveling journeyman, regardless of how "average" the journeyman is.

Some local journeymen are hacks; They still get some plum assignments due to their local tenure & status. But the REALLY GOOD gigs, the technically demanding "best of the best" stuff, goes to the best journeymen regardless of local or traveler status. The local hack may be allowed on the crew to do "what he can", but the critical work is done by the most skilled.

We're like a bunch of medieval stone masons, gathered from far and wide to build the cathedral, or some type of shrine to Wilbur. You may not be that dude carving the 12 foot winged angel out front. But you still get to work with the stone.
stinkbug
shorepounder

Postby Slurricane » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:14 am

You are a moron. Just because the guy is 'local' (do you even know where he is from?) Does not mean he surfs 'better' then you. Get a grip, it's not like he is Wilbur or something. Maybe the fact that you possibly suck means he surfs better then you, but he sure as hell does not surf 'better' then at least 12 people I know who surf the same break. And none of them are being called " one of the best surfers in the PNW".

Just so you know K does not read this forum so you can take your dick out of his @ss. He will never see your props and you will still get your @ss kicked next sesh.

Mritocracy? I dont know what that word means, not patient enough to google it let alone read your explanation. To me it sounds like some top bone college education phrase and it does not take a college education to see that K has gotten his "best in the PNDub" status by being nothing more then a cock sucker. He doesnt take the wave out from under your sack because you suck (although its likely that you do, and swallow as well) He has that status because losers with no self confidence like your self will not stand up for your obvious rights in the line up.
Have you ever seen him fight? Uh....yeah. Come back and brag about what a great athlete he is after several of his hobunk gapster boyfriends have impaled your face with your own boogeyboard while he is in the ladies room trading up his wetty between sessions.

Here is what you need to do tickle:

-Stop being such a pansey and surf somewhere other then kooksy.
-Stop taking it in the @ss for pepsi prop rights on the OSP. None of these bronads give two and a half whacks about some brand name WP frontman.

Stinkbug, you shoule be ashamed for responding to such a penis stroker thread. You are one of the only people on here with who can call the Strait your home break gracefully. Act like it.
Courage juice
Slurricane
Mermaided

Postby pickleweed » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:04 pm

Thanks, for responding to my post Slurricane, or should I say Betty or maybe Honey. I didn't know you had internet access in the federal penn. Wilbur.
pickleweed

Re: Is surfing a "meritocracy"

Postby intrepid » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:49 pm

pickleweed wrote:Is surfing a meritocracy?

Yes:

Professional surfers compete and win prizes based on their abilities. The more abilities they have the more money they get (more or less).

No:

It doesn't matter what abilities you have in the water it's all about having fun. If you're having a good time who cares. For me surfing isn't a meritocracy, it's just fun.
Last edited by intrepid on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
intrepid
I tube ride side saddle

Postby Quagmeyer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:58 pm

nobody has a particular right to a wave...except Wilbur. If you're in the right spot for a wave then I'd say it's yours though it depends on how man people you back paddled to get it. :wink:
Giggidy giggidy
Quagmeyer
surfing improved my love life

Postby Quagmeyer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:50 pm

Sluricane you sound angry, I think you need to chill. why not start a thread about your breasts or posterior or something of substance...

The funniest part of this thread was the one of the best in the PNW... There are a lot of good surfers in the PNW (but I'm not one of them) and that's a bit of a stretch compared to the talent that is out there.
Giggidy giggidy
Quagmeyer
surfing improved my love life

Re: Is surfing a "meritocracy"

Postby Ceedog » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:04 am

pickleweed wrote:Is surfing a meritocracy?

I always thought it was just fun.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby wawaverider » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:45 pm

Does it really matter?
I suppose, and I suppose it is a meritocracy to an extant. If you rip and you're in the lineup people will give you more leeway, if your a kook then look out. A good deal of surfers are a-holes from my experience, not the laid back hollywood type. They are more concerned with getting their waves (which hey it is about that but to what extent?), their image and could really give a sh&* about helping others unless of course you rip.
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby pickleweed » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:53 pm

Wow, I'm surprised, seven votes yes, five votes no. I think the lineup is a kind of meritocracy in the sense that the best surfers catch the most waves, and maybe, that's how it should be. Most of the best surfers have spent the most time in the water or most of them have made sacrifices to live near the coast.
I wish there was more equality, but that's not the reality. In a perfect world, everyone would wait their turn, and postion alone would determine who gets the wave. However, the best surfers have usaully made the most sacrifices to get where they are, so they should have more leeway in the water.
Therefore, I never get mad when a great surfer paddles around me to get better position. However, I get a little upset when a surfer of equal or lesser ability paddles around me after catching a wave. I can't count the number of times this has happened at the g****S (pointbreak type wave)They usually say something like, "hey how's it going" as their paddling by. I used to say Hi, but I've learned that after I say Hi they think their behavior is OK, or worse they start dropping in on waves I'm already up and riding. So, I've adopted a scowl and I just nod when someone i don't know says something to me. I wish this wasn't the case, but it's happened so many times I've changed my attitude towards being freindly in the lineup.
pickleweed

Postby grizldoldfk » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:13 pm

when your skills surpass your attitude, your scowl will become a smile.
don't be like all the rest. smile, and go. apologies are for those with strong character who make mistakes. put them in your place.
...if it is not fun, then why do it?
by the way. i didn't read the definition either.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby The Blonde » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:36 am

Pickle, how do you know they are paddleing 'past' you at the g****s? When you are sitting in the middle of 17 other gaynards between 150yards of 'pointbreaks'....what justifies the term 'past'?

Maybe try surfing somewhere else, then clarify this meritocracy.
I approve this message
The Blonde
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Gazsurf » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:37 am

It's a meritocracy when it gets to 8' and above. Below that it's the French Revolution, equal parts mob rule and opportunism.
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby pickleweed » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:53 am

The Blonde wrote:Pickle, how do you know they are paddleing 'past' you at the g****s? When you are sitting in the middle of 17 other gaynards between 150yards of 'pointbreaks'....what justifies the term 'past'?

Maybe try surfing somewhere else, then clarify this meritocracy.

When the g****s are really working, the take-off is in the same spot everytime. It's usually near one of the rock jetties. When it's working, like that I know the gaynard has paddled past me because they'll sit one foot deeper than me near the jetty. Most of the time they're too deep so they don't make the wave, but there's nothing you can do about it, besides dropping in on them, because they're deeper. When there's 150 yards of pointbreaks it's more difficult to determine whether someone is trying to out paddle someone else unless they sit one foot deeper than the other surfer.
I've surfed a few other places Australia, Fiji, Northern Oregon, and up north.
pickleweed

Postby The Blonde » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:09 pm

One more quick question...how come all of a sudden we are ***ing out the g****s?

I have to admit I rather enjoy watching the gaynard circus at this local.
The last couple times I was there it was the same story, one dude out of maybe 10 to 15 was taking what it gave and pulling it all the way to the end. He knew right where to enter and right where to exit. Everyone else was just out there stroking off. Funny, its not a difficult spot to read so Im just going to assume the other 14 folks suckasss. Pickle, were you one of the strokers or were you 'the guy'?
I approve this message
The Blonde
Am I addicted to this?

Next

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners