Change font size   Print view

Pissing.

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Should welfare recipients have to piss to get/keep benefits?

Yes.
68%
No way! What kind of Nazi tactic is that?
23%
Wilbur is the sexiest man on the planet.
9%

Total votes : 22

Postby Quagmeyer » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:16 pm

To get down to the heart of the matter though, if the gov required piss testing to get welfare it wouldn't change much... There are ways around piss testing, various formulas designed to fool tests, and also the possibility of samples taken being the urine of somoene else. I don't think it'd really prevent too many people from using their welfare money for drugs....

I really do wonder though how many welfare recipients are actually using their money for drugs? IT's a cop out to brand all / most welfare recipients as lazy bums / addicts... I think if anything it's more likely a reflection of society in general... When the economy goes bad more people will be on welfare... When the economy is good less will be on welfare. Just like the working population a percentage of welfare recipients may be drug users, but is that percentage higher than the working population?

Also being on welfare isn't something I think a lot of people choose or desire to do... I think that for most it's out of necessity... I imagine there are much more people using it for what it's designed for as opposed to abusing it which is more than likely a small percentage... And lets face it if you're poor you're more likely to be depressed, and more likely to turn to drugs to escape your existance...

And where does it stop? Should they test recipients for tabacco use, alcohol use, prescription drug or over the counter drug abuse? All these substances while completely legal cause just as many if not more social economic problems as illegal drugs...

I personally believe that most people on welfare are on there due to various hardships and use it as a means for temporary support until they're able to find gainful employment. Sure you'll have people abusing the system, but people abuse every facet of the system so why should the welfare system be a suprise?

BEsides adding more regulations will cost more to run the welfare program and won't necessarily eliminate or reduce the problem, it'll just force people who are addicts to come up with different ways around them.... Or even worse if these people aren't given welfare cheques to support their habits, it's not like they'll quit using drugs, they'll just break into peoples house or cars, or even worse assault people to do whatever they need for their fix... In the end your tax dollars pay for addiction regardless if it's through healthcare, welfare, insurance, or through the prison system... If I Had the choice between a junkie using welfare to get high or leading a life of crime to get high I'd choose welfare...
Giggidy giggidy
Quagmeyer
surfing improved my love life

Postby Ceedog » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:04 am

gills wrote:
Ceedog wrote:This is a perfect example of how well meaning people help the govn become even more intrusive and powerful. I agree with the premise set forth by Wilb, however I cringe at the fact of allowing the govn more power over people's lives, even when our tax dollars are concerned.

I always find this idea strange---

The government is the only thing protecting us from pure dictatorship in an economic context. It's also why streets are relatively safe to wallk down. It's also why we have crash test ratings on our cars, it's why traffic lights work, it's why we have public transportation, it's why we have order, it's why we have power, it's why we have roads, it's why we have infrastructure, it's why don't get invaded---- I mean seriously, people who think government is a 'bad thing' and give me the efficiency argument from the DMV perspective is just silly. You take everything you know as reality for granted. Government can work. And it does. If it didn't, we wouldn't be a first world country.

Let me ask you this: What power over your life does the government have? I can't think of a single one other than it doesn't allow me to break laws that I for the most part, believe in.

Ok Gills, let us not over simplify things here. I'm not saying that the govn is bad, I am saying that we outta be careful of increasing the length of its reach into our lives. Would you argue for the patriot act? This is the type of thing that I am worried about. I think the government is our infrastructure and protection not a nanny, ready to whack us on the bum for things that it has no business in monitoring.

Government can work and it has, somewhat, but it needs to be reigned in by the people. That's all i'm saying.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby SooLoo » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:50 am

I pretty much echo Foss. It's long past time we review our drug policies as a nation.
SooLoo

Postby XBlueSilverX » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:49 pm

I'm for it. If these f'ing dill holes can't stay off the Columbia Gold, f-them if they want my f'ing money.
The problem with real life? There's no danger music..
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby Doc » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:23 pm

Columbia Gold?

Are you selling 2 finger lids or what?

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Friend Of The Hawk » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:37 am

Lids!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If we can't be free, at least we can be cheap.....
Friend Of The Hawk
coffee WAS my drug of choice

Postby Ceedog » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:44 pm

Careful Doc, you might,ve just dated yourself. I miss those old gallon jars.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby 47 Degrees » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:51 pm

Doc wrote:This isn't an all or nothing problem...they aren't all "loafers" or "lazy" or "addicts" and to characterize them as such is ignorant or worse...

Doc

is it "ignorant or worse" when so many actually do fit those descriptions?
47 Degrees

Postby fojo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:43 pm

I miss the days when Welfare Reform, Health Care and Education were the largest issues facing our country.

How are anything of these issues every going to be addressed in our lifetimes considering the war costs, energy issues, and ever-more competitive foreign nations who happen to own (by debt) a large chunk of our country?

Could get dicey.

Might be handy to have a private army at one's disposal.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070402/scahill_vid

I wonder if they do piss tests?

:shock:
fojo
Plover Murderer

Previous

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners