Change font size   Print view

Invade Canada?

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Should the US invade Canada, thereby securing thier oild production for ourselves, forcing the Libs to move to Switzerland, and all the while securing the Stanely Cup as an American icon?

Invade the hosers eh?
68%
Invade? What's that all aboot?
32%

Total votes : 22

Invade Canada?

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:54 am

You know with all this talk about people leaving to Canada, or us invading Canada and taking the place over with a Swiss Army knife...I thought I might show some reason as to why we should invade Canada.....

Canadian Wilderness Is The Next Oil Gold Mine
By, James Brooke

Ten building high cranes looming over North America's largest energy construction project are the visible peaks of a $22 billion mountain range of oil investments that are quietly transforming this patch of Canadian wilderness into what may soon be the continent's leading oil producing area north of the Gulf of Mexico. Within five years. Oil flowing south from Alberta's oil sands is expected to surpass the current production of 1 million barrels a day from Alaska's North Slope. By the end of the decade, 2 million barrels a day, the current oil production of Nigeria, is to be pumped from here into a North American pipeline network that stretches from Portland, Oregon to Portland, Maine, helping fuel a market in the United States that now consumes about 20 million barrels of oil a day.

By 2010, 75 percent of oil sands production will go down to the United States, predicted William Almdal, regional coordinator for Athabasca Oil Sands Developers, a private planning group here. After many lean years, Almdal says, the strong oil prices of the last 18 months have unleashed such a torrent of investment that today the major development obstacle is not a lack of money or overcoming objections from environmental groups, but a growing shortage of skilled labor.

While debate in the United States swirls over President Bush's support for opening Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling, little attention has been paid to Alberta's oil sands, which have recoverable reserves 40 times larger than the estimated supply of the Alaska refuge. Although oil has been produced here for three decades, companies have barely scratched the surface, extracting less than 1 percent of supply. Almost ever since the 18th century fur traders watched Indians caulk their canoes with bitumen, a form of heavy oil oozing from the banks of the Athabasca River, dreamers and developers have debated how to exploit the massive deposits of sands here impregnated with oil. According to Canada's National Energy Board, there are at least 300 billion barrels of recoverable oil within a 250-mile radius of this northern city, about 15 percent more than the proven oil supply in Saudi Arabia. For years, mining Canada's oil sands was dismissed as a costly, roundabout way to produce oil. Multibillion-dollar "energy independence" fiascos-like the U.S. government-subsidized failure in the early 1980s to mine Colorado's oil shale deposits soured investors on most "synthetic oil" projects, or oil not from wells.

But now, Canada long the largest foreign supplier of natural gas and electricity to the United States-is becoming important in oil as well. During the first 10 months of 2000, Canada edges out Saudi Arabia as America's largest foreign source of oil and petroleum products. They are shipping 1.3 million barrels/day to the US.

For the United States, where domestic production has dropped by 40 percent since 1970, increased Canadian oil production means increased energy security; trade treaties lock Canada and United States into a continental energy market. Last year, the United States imported foreign oil to meet 57 percent of its needs, up from 37 percent in 1975. With Canada in the midst of an energy boom involving natural gas, oil and hydroelectric power production to feed the growing appetite in the United States, mining shovels here in northern Alberta are digging at a faster pace into oil-soaked sand and loading it onto massive trucks. After passing through crushers, the sand is mixed with hot water and moved by slurry pipeline to a plant where the bitumen is extracted. The basic separation process dates back to 1920, when Karl Clark, an Alberta scientist, shoveled oil sand into his family washing machine, where it was mixed with hot water and caustic soda, causing the bitumen to float to the surface.

In recent years, investors negative views of oil from tar sands have largely faded as technological improvements have pushed production costs down sharply. When the construction cranes come down next summer from the upgrading units of the Millennium Project of Suncor Energy, costs will be around $9 a barrel, roughly 1/4 the 1970 levels, according to Rick George, Suncor's hard-driving, Colorado-raised chief executive. George has set a goal of $5.50/barrel, aiming to make his company the lowest-cost oil producer in North America. ET Note: maybe we can also use this technology again in Colorado.

Source:
The Bend Bulletin
Jan 23, 2001
NY Times Service
http://www.electrifyingtimes.com

hmmm......

Industry association projects growth in Canadian oil production
by: OilOnline
Friday, July 16, 2004
The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) recently has projected significant potential growth in crude oil production by 2015. Details of the association's forecast were outlined in its study, 2004 Canadian Crude Oil Production and Supply Forecast.
Total Canadian production, including Atlantic Canada, is projected to increase from the current 2.6 million barrels per day to reach 3.6 million barrels per day (b/d) by 2015. The growth in production of one million b/d represents an increase of about 40 per cent over the annual average level of production recorded in 2003. This growing production will serve Canada’s strong domestic market and our important export markets in the US and will help meet growing global oil demand.

Yeah...I think instead of being all invlolved with those Arab Nations....they are so sketchy....we could just take over Canada......I evan know tha platoon that could do it......

http://students.washington.edu/greenbam/humor/veryspecial.html
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Shark Bait » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:59 am

In typical belligerent-American style, you make my case with this post. Thanks.
Shark Bait
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:13 pm

OH CANADA OH CANADA........

BC government pushes offshore oil

by Jim Fulton

Background to Offshore drilling in BC
Dates for public hearings

Will oil rigs soon eclipse the breathtaking scenery of Canada’s West Coast? If the provincial government has its way, they could.

The province is pushing hard to lift provincial and federal moratoria on offshore oil and gas drilling that have protected this area for 32 years, even though First Nations, residents, and the general public have demonstrated serious concern that drilling will lead to environmental degradation, including the possibility of an oil spill. Even the oil and gas industry itself, which has the most to gain from development, has called BC offshore drilling a “low priority,” both because of its high cost and significant public opposition. With residents, workers, and oil and gas developers turning their backs on drilling, the question must be asked: “Why is our government pushing so hard?”

The provincial oil and gas “SWAT team” as it has been called, has been out in full force, giving its sales pitch of rapid offshore oil and gas development and rich benefits to BC. Many, however, argue that the provincial government is selling false hope, distracting communities from real, near-term opportunities and putting sustainable industries like fishing and forestry at risk – industries that could actually benefit our communities for generations. A recent address entitled BC Uncharted Waters by Senator Pat Carney was perhaps the most eloquent. She noted that in their haste, the provincial government was creating such unrealistic expectations that they were more likely to run the ship aground than bring it safely into port. She added, “I suggest we spill a little wind out of our sails, slow down and review our sail plan. The time frame suggested by (BC Energy and Mines) Minister Neufeld is likely to create a storm of controversy, some valid and some not. At this point we don’t have the information to make a judgment.”

Many British Columbians are resistant to the rush to oil and gas for several reasons. Karen Campbell of West Coast Environmental Law has provided some insightful comments surrounding the recent federal science review: “The Royal Society Science Panel was asked to tell us if there are any science gaps that need to be addressed before the moratorium could be lifted. Their conclusion was, regime is put in place, there are no science gaps that need to be filled before lifting the moratoria on oil and gas development.” The plain language translation: “There are science gaps, but we think regulation can take care of it.”

“So, the government is asking the public to trust what the scientists say about the lifting the moratoria, yet the scientists are telling the public that we should trust the government,” Campbell concluded.

For the public, this type of situation creates only distrust and confusion, and rightfully so. What is known is that seismic testing to determine the size and location of oil deposits will damage the ecosystem before drilling ever begins. This form of testing shoots high-pressure air at the seabed - pressure that is known to damage marine life, including fish, their eggs and larvae, and whales. It is also a fact that the West Coast is home to some of the most highly sensitive coastal habitat in the world. For example, over two million seabirds live and breed on the Scott Islands, off the northern tip of Vancouver Island. Three species, including the tufted puffin, have globally significant populations in this small, protected area. An oil spill, or even the daily ongoing release of pollution into the ocean that is a by-product of drilling, would put these creatures at risk.

The assertion that BC “would use current best practices from other areas of the world” is also hard to justify. Canada is a laggard rather than a leader when it comes to addressing environmental issues. A recent study conducted by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development ranked Canada as 28th out of 29 industrialized nations on environmental performance and policies. These findings are also supported by studies from the Conference Board of Canada and the World Economic Forum.

Here in BC, we are in a period of deregulation, and the government track record for protection is far from good. In this past year alone, a government audit of the oil and gas industry in northeastern BC found that of 160 sites, 35 had major environmental violations (mainly related to fish-bearing streams), and 16 had minor ones. On top of all the reasons to be suspicious of the alleged benefits from oil and gas, the Canadian Gas Potential Committee has stated, “The Geological Survey of Canada has “systematically overestimated” BC’s off-shore reserves and have acknowledged “that there is a high level of risk that little or no gas may be found.” One thing for certain is that any jobs or benefits are far off, if they ever materialize at all. BC’s coastal communities need jobs now, and the prospect of future jobs does little to solve their problems.

The federal moratorium is currently the only effective mechanism that guarantees protection of BC’s coastal environment, existing economies such as fishing and tourism, and Canada’s natural heritage. The province should be asking the big questions about whether oil and gas development should happen at all. Is it economic? What are the environmental consequences? Is it a prudent use of natural resources? Is it in the public’s best interest? The BC provincial government has set a date for near-shore oil and gas production for 2010 - claiming that the torch of the 2010 Olympics will be lit with gas from the BC coast. This claim is grossly unrealistic. Many industry experts suggest 10 to12 years, and the Royal Society of Canada science panel states, “It is likely to take about 15 years to move through the stages of activity prior to first production.”

The provincial government is trying to sell a dream to buy political points. This only creates false hope for coastal communities and distracts them from more promising opportunities for long-term jobs and benefits without jeopardizing existing economies and one of Canada’s natural treasures.

Jim Fulton is executive director of the David Suzuki Foundation,
www.davidsuzuki.org

So it's not really an American thing.....huh...imagine that.....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Canadian Invasion

Postby Trula » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:07 pm

They won't put up as much of a fight as the Iraqis did either. Quebec might even help if we gave them their independence.
Portland - Where young people go to retire.
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby SooLoo » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:20 pm

I'm ok with rolling the tanks into BC, they can keep the rest. Really though, Bush will promise to flatten Quebec scorched earth style, in return we get the west coast. Everyone is happy. Well except for Shark Bait. And french speaking Quebecians.

By the by, Canadian Bacon is THE funniest movie ever made. May John Candy rest in peace.
SooLoo

Postby Shark Bait » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:43 pm

Hats off you you guys.

You are making my point with each post. And with that, I thank you.
Shark Bait
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby joe » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:11 pm

Excuse me madam but who invited all the retards to the forum?
joe
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby Doc » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:26 pm

SooLoo

Long known for his deep (unfounded, I think? did some Canadian dis you?) contempt for the Canadians said:

...Quebecians

I think it's Quebecois...although I am as unsure as my presumption that it's you that hates Canada.

Personally, I can't understand the dislike...most Canadians are pretty much like Americans...except without the macho posturing and the nationalistic fervor that seems to pervade the attitudes of their southern neighbors.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby erzats » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:33 pm

Canadians ARE very nationalistic. But, somehow, they manage to do it in a less than offensive way. Every canadian I know (lived there for three years) had a canadian flag prominently displayed somewhere on their clothing, cars, backpacks, you name it. They'll do more to distinguish themselves from us than I'd care to guess, which is a part of that. But they are also damn proud to be canadian. Almost nightly on the news, there will be some story that contrasts a canadian attitude to an American one. Funny thing is, we just ignore them for the most part.

Anyhow, if it's the oil you are after you'll have to take Alberta, Yukon, and the Northwest Territories while you are at it. Take Nunavut if you want a wealth of minerals. Take Newfoundland if you want a bunch of really funny sounding people.
erzats
core!

Postby Doc » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:44 pm

I used "nationalistic" and "fervor"...I think it's the fervor part Canucks are missing...not a bad thing

Doc
Doc

Borne

Postby Trula » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:19 am

Ce n'est pas assez. Il n'y pas de quoi rire. Etre au courant le Canada.

Do we really want to invade a part French speaking country? It would be too much of a pain and then sitizens of Quebec would freak.
Portland - Where young people go to retire.
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:09 am

Trula....any French speaking country is begging to be invaded and beat up.
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby I suck » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:13 am

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with the invaders here, sorry. I'm normally a very peace-loving guy, but after those sonsabitches gave me the runaround at the border last time I'm all for pasting the Red White and Blue on our northern neighbors.
I'll lead the charge, you tell me when.
Blame Canada! Blame Canada!
I suck
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:50 am

Love Canada Love Canadians Love Shark Bait.
Doc, SooLoo has lots of family in the great white North on both coasts.

Postby Doc » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:46 pm

My bad...I must have confused him with another Canada hating poster...who is it that has, or used to have, the "Blame Canada" signature?

Doc
Doc

Next

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners