Change font size   Print view

Chivalry -Vs- Sexism

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

If you offer to help a friend are you automatically:

Trying to get them nekid so you can BANG them
10%
Just being a friend, doing no more then what you would expect a friend to do
50%
Depends, is that friend of the opposite sex?
40%

Total votes : 20

Chivalry -Vs- Sexism

Postby Sparky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:15 am

I agreed to meet some friends at the beach at a specific time to have a surf session with them, it was a married couple, we planned to surf SS at 8 on a Sunday morning. I arrived a few minutes before 8 and carried my gear down to the beach figuring that they would be there shortly. Around 8:30 I figured perhaps they had car trouble or something like that so I walked back to the parking lot to give them a call on their cell phone. But before I could call them they pulled into the parking lot. Now being the enthusiastic kook that I am, I was stoked about getting into the water and catching that 1st wave, so I offered to help them carry there gear. Since they had their son with them, lets just call the son, the V-man :wink: I assumed that Mom would not mind me carrying her board so she could keep a closer eye on her son. It was her who was offended not I, by her rejection of me carrying her board, though her husband was more then willing to allow me to carry his board when I offered to carry his :lol:
Sure I offer to her first, that is the way I was raised, just like offering to get the door for a woman or offering her my chair on a crowded bus or train. What irritates me is that women automatically assume if a man does something nice, he only is doing it because he wants to get into her pants. Granted NMM is a good looking woman and has a lot of great traits that I enjoy, but I also consider her husband a pretty good friend too. I sure hope he is not thinking the same way NMM is. I carried his board down to the beach because I wanted to get into the water, and I was not looking to get into his either :shock:

As for respect for women surfers verses respect for male surfers, if you can surf, then it has nothing to do about being male or female, it's about your skills.

NMM, I was not offended by your refusal to allow me to carry your board though I am slightly offended that you would think I had underlying intentions. While I do like you a lot, I value our friendship just a tad bit more then that.. Christ :shock:

PS I edited the word BANG and replaced with get into her/his pants so as not to offend Wilbur. I used the term get into her/his pants because it was used by NMM and I doubt Wilbur can find this an offensive term since it was a term used by her first not me :wink:
Last edited by Sparky on Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love many, trust few, do harm to none!
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Re: Chivalry -Vs- Sexism

Postby nm » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:30 am

surfinSparky wrote:NMM, I was not offended by your refusal to allow me to carry your board though I am slightly offended that you would think I had underlying intentions. While I do like you a lot, I value our friendship just a tad bit more then that.. Christ :shock:

For the record............

My automatic assumption was that you thought I wasn't capable.....didn't even occur to me that you might want to get in my pants.

1.....How does it look if I'm at the beach to surf and some guy is carrying my board? (everyone else around is thinking........."yeah.....she surfs....:roll:" (or at least........that's what I'd be thinking).:wink:

2.....How does it look if You're at the beach to surf and you're carrying some chick's board? (everyone else around is thinking......"yeah.....he's whipped....:roll:" (or at least.......that's what I'd be thinking).:wink:

n.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby SooLoo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:38 am

If someone can't haul their own board to the water without dragging it or receiving assistance they shouldn't be out there. Man woman or child.
Respect for equipment 101.
SooLoo

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:41 am

Wow....I think you two should take this to PM's.....

Sparkomatic600....sorry dude...yer way out of line.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby type1tim » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:59 am

Wow sounds like people are looking way way to deep into this. Hey if my arms were empty I would have asked to carry a board or what ever. Isn't that what freinds are for?
EMBO
type1tim
Plover Murderer

Postby nm » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:06 am

type1tim wrote: if my arms were empty I would have asked to carry a board or what ever. Isn't that what freinds are for?

Yes.......that is what friends are for!

That's my point.................I allowed my own misgivings toward chivalry to get in the way of a friendly offer.

n.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Re: Chivalry -Vs- Sexism

Postby Sparky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:08 am

nmm wrote:For the record............

My automatic assumption was that you thought I wasn't capable.....didn't even occur to me that you might want to get in my pants.

n.

Well since I have seen you carry your board many times, I know quiet well you are Capable. I don't think your pants would fit me by the way. While I am slender, I am not that skinny :wink:
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Postby Sparky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:15 am

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:Wow....I think you two should take this to PM's.....

Sparkomatic600....sorry dude...yer way out of line.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wilbur Wilbur Wilbur, you of all people should have noticed the fact that I was playing off her Rant. I was no more offended by anything she said in her posts then I would be offended by anything you write.
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:21 am

Sparkomatic1.5....The term "BANG" is a derogatory remark towards women, and is offensive. NMM, as well as other women here can defend themselves, but I am personally offended by its use. It is a crude remark that us boyz throw around...I seriously doubt you are gaining any credibility with any females here. You stand a very good chance of being discredited all together simply by using the term.

That is why you are out of line.

I write offensive posts..yes, but there is a line I do not cross. I do not use generalized derogatory remarks that supercede an individuals need to have his/her @ss hended to them. The term "BANG" is offemnsive and gross in the context you have used it.

But that's just my opinion.

:wink:
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Trula » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:11 am

My brother has carried my board for me before. He also opens doors for me and other females. Did I mention he is married. His wife has him trained.
Portland - Where young people go to retire.
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby Sparky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:18 am

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:Sparkomatic1.5....The term "BANG" is a derogatory remark towards women, and is offensive. NMM, as well as other women here can defend themselves, but I am personally offended by its use. It is a crude remark that us boyz throw around...I seriously doubt you are gaining any credibility with any females here. You stand a very good chance of being discredited all together simply by using the term.

I write offensive posts..yes, but there is a line I do not cross. I do not use generalized derogatory remarks that supercede an individuals need to have his/her @ss hended to them. The term "BANG" is offemnsive and gross in the context you have used it.

Perhaps your right about the term. I may have to change that term to something more appropriate. :wink:

As for your line that you will not cross, we all have a line somewhere out there. Each of us have our own personal reasons for not willing to cross that line. Personally I find offensive the way you spell offemnsive.. then criticize others about being poor spellers but hey to each their own :lol:
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Postby Sparky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:19 am

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:Sparkomatic1.5....The term "BANG" is a derogatory remark towards women, and is offensive. NMM, as well as other women here can defend themselves, but I am personally offended by its use. It is a crude remark that us boyz throw around...I seriously doubt you are gaining any credibility with any females here. You stand a very good chance of being discredited all together simply by using the term.

Perhaps your right about the term. I may have to change that term to something more appropriate. :wink:

As for your line that you will not cross, we all have a line somewhere out there. Each of us have our own personal reasons for not willing to cross that line. Personally I find offensive the way you spell offemnsive.. then criticize others about being poor spellers but hey to each their own :lol:
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Postby Doc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:20 pm

Growing up...my uncle always brought 6 or 7 boards to the beach. Being an Uncle, he was a man...but thought nothing of making each kid (usually 4 of us) carry one of his boards...down the goat trail to Blacks...I was in 3rd grade the first time I recall, because I dropped a longboard and caught an earful from him about it.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

lets get to the bottom of this

Postby Stiffler » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:10 pm

so do i still have to carry my own board, or what?
Stiffler

Postby Koo Nass » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:08 am

I believe that offemsive is a combination of offensive + feminine. Meaning being offensive to females. :idea:
Koo Nass

Next

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners