Change font size   Print view

What pisses me off...........

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Re: What pisses me off...........

Postby Tex » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:47 am

Timmy Missions can go "missioning" his @ss in CA/HI/CR...wherever....we don't need no mission work up here.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Spent » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:40 am

taking a drill to a brand new board that hasn't even been wet yet.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Why I don't post here anymore--I can't surf

Postby Temperance » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:03 pm

I've paddled out at Ticla, Nexpa, Agate Beach winter surf. Really big waves. Ten foot hollow fast-breaking shite with a bunch of Brazilian hotshot bodyboarders. But I suck at surfing. I could get out there, sure. I knew how to avoid the people (99.9% guys) who were actually riding waves. But as soon as I paddle for one, it's front foot flat, back knee stuck on the board. The right knee of my wetsuit is coated in wax.

I never get the bottom turn. By the time I stabilize and pull myself to my feet, I just pray there is something left for me to try and get a little carve. Every time: Knee, curse. Knee, curse. When I was going out all the time, I could pull off a passable pigdog.... because I could use my knee. Worked well for those late take-off backside drops.

My partner (later turned 1st husband) at the time I was learning this horrible habit would warn me, "You are going to hate yourself. Once that's your habit you won't be able to break it!". Problem was, I had just spent 40 minutes paddling all the way to the outside, 20 minutes resting, another half hour waiting for the "perfect wave" (read: with a soft shoulder for me to hop on), and goddamnit if I weren't going to ride that thing however I possibly could without falling off and risking getting pushed in again. I didn't listen to him, and now, almost 15 years later, I'm hating myself.

I blame the way I went about learning. I didn't know anyone else learning to surf, and no one offered me any advice. I went to the beach with surfers. They paddled out, so I did too. Years later, I'm sitting on the beach in Bali in-between my sessions (Knee, curse. Knee, curse) watching Australians teach their kids to surf, and they are NOT paddling all the way out. They are doing the same thing I see surf schools doing now, which is practicing pop-ups on the inside. Duh.
But I've been surfing for ten years, how embarrassing to play around in the white water with the newbies, right? I have my pride. Knee, curse. Knee, curse. Another wave blown.

One husband later (that's two, for those who are counting), I've got an Iowa farm boy that I want to want to surf. I already got him over the hump of beginning snowboarding, and that's a hell of a lot easier to learn, so he's got his confidence up. I take this 40 year old man (who fortunately at least knows how to swim) into the whitewater. No further than he can touch, and we practice pop-ups. I purchase my first long board, and I practice pop-ups.

When I can finally go straight to my feet on the long board (still in the whitewater), I'm nice enough to let him use it. I switch to my 7'10", on the inside. I stand next to my board, launch myself forward, and push both my feet underneath me. 95% of the time I am too far to one side or another, or I barely get both feet on the back of the board, and I fall just like all the other people out there for their first time. As soon as I think I've got it, I paddle to the outside, catch a wave and go straight to my knee again. Jesus effing christ.

Fifteen years, and I suck @ss. I'm not giving up. I am slowly improving, and some day I swear I will catch a wave, go straight to BOTH feet, and ride that wave like I know I can. And I'll probably write a post to tell you all about it.
Temperance
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Doc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:47 pm

Do you know how to do burpees? The popup is basically the burpee with a little twist and no jumping jack. Easy to practice on dry land and tougher to do on a surfboard obviously but do not go to the knee ever.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby X-squid » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:48 pm

...having my surf buddy bail on me last minute this morning and sap all my motivation to paddle out. I'm just hoping it sucked.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Temperance » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:20 pm

Doc, I do know how to do burpees, and I've practiced popups on land. I'll keep doing it, but should get into a habit of doing it consistently to try and unlearn my horrible habit. And yes, don't ever go to my knee. I know that NOW.
My other ideas was to put a pin through my wetsuit right over my knee.
Temperance
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Tex » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:12 pm

My pops suck too...for what it is worth.
Of all my friends, my pop is the worst, they all give me shite about it after every session.

I have accepted it as my singular fatal flaw in surfing =)
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby noparking » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:29 pm

Things that piss me off... forgetting my password for here, job keeping me from the things i enjoy the most, days getting shorter, turing a year older and having little to nothing to show for it.
noparking
Mermaided

Postby Critter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Your knee pisses me off I have never sat here and read a post so knee centric before! I am so mad at your knee right now I could just about beat my own knees with a heavy rock!
Your knee is on my hit list If I see you out weebly wobbly on your knee there is no telling what I might do! Effin knee! :mrgreen:
All ya gotta do is ask for it.
Critter
over the falls, a way of life

Postby X-squid » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:57 am

Getting hella sick during the week and having to work on my usual Friday off! I'm not even supposed to be here today!
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:52 pm

" i can't see you but i know you're there." if you don't know where that quote comes from, you piss me off.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Betty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:48 pm

Temprence, try practicing your blowjob stance, the one where you don't swallow and see what that does for your pop up.
The service here sucks.
Betty
coffee WAS my drug of choice

Postby Temperance » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks for the advice, Betty.
Temperance
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Doc » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:00 pm

I'm curious about this stance.
Can I help?

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Paul Dresman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:19 pm

Running ads for Trans-Canada pipeline on the Oregon Surf page may be profitable, but it certainly isn't the ethical and moral thing to do, not in a world where global warming is a reality. As a surfer, one's respect for nature should take precedence over profit.
Paul Dresman
secret spots are my forte

PreviousNext

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners