Change font size   Print view

Listening to?

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Listening to?

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:01 pm

Aja is lit, just didn't want to go too deep down the rabbit hole. That being said, "Home at Last" is the best song about middle age surfers trapped in the valley without intentionally being about middle age surfers trapped in the valley. Such is the genius of this Steely Dan.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:09 am

"Home at Last" is the best song about middle age surfers trapped in the valley without intentionally being about middle age surfers trapped in the valley

hahahahaha that's awesome :lol:

I totally dig Aja, for real. It's great start to finish and I absolutely love Deacon Blues. May be an obvious call, but that song speaks to me. And without Peg, the world would have missed out on this classic old school track as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHEvjLJgWM8

Royal Scam is great as well. Gaucho's probably my second favorite album of theirs, but honestly, they're all good IMO. Even their later output. Most bands tend to fizzle out over time but they were putting out Two Against Nature ~30 years after their first release. Fantastic. I non-ironically love the Dan. I'm a sucker for great lyrics and word play and they've got some of the best.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Doc » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:34 pm

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
So good
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby BOX » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:08 am

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
So good

YES!!! I can definitely get to that :D

Fantastic album start to finish.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Doc » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:59 pm

Dr. Alimantado
Best Dressed Chicken in Town
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:16 am

Howly. Nice work on the board, but your yard need work hommie......
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:21 am

Lord Huron
Long Lost
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:50 pm

Dr. Alimantado
Best Dressed Chicken in Town

This was a new one for me, so I gave it a listen. Not bad. I dig a lot of reggae, but don't listen to much dub so thanks for helping fill that hole in my knowledge.

Lord Huron
Long Lost

Lord Huron's good. They've got a bit of a My Morning Jacket sound going, which is fine by me because I dig some MMJ. Not Dead Yet from Long Lost is a good cut. Strange Tails has some good tunes on it, too. Fine pick for a Tuesday morning, IMO.

I'm usually all over the place music-wise, but let's see what I've been spinning lately...

If you're looking for something upbeat to get your day going, A.J. & the Jiggawatts' self-titled album might work for ya. It did for me.

I was digging Clancy Eccles' Freedom album a little while back. Not dub, just some classic reggae from back in the day.

For fans of rap/hip-hop, I was kicking Basic Vocab's A Better Way a couple of days ago. Good stuff.

Was listening to Babe Rainbow's Today album recently as well. The album cover shows three dudes with longboards so I guess I'm obligated to like it. Luckily there were some good cuts on there to enjoy.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:14 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Howly. Nice work on the board, but your yard need work hommie......

Ha! Just doing my part to give surfers a bad rap again.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:22 pm

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:42 pm

The only thing I subscribe to is Wave Ki. I'm still pissed that I can't plug my upgraded phone into my computer to connect to itunes and now have to subscribe to streaming services. Making due with what's on my phone, so listening to Eno on sunny days at the coast and Spiritualized on grey days in the city.

In regards to my yard, it's still thrashed, but looks a bit better now than it did in dog days of summer. My side yard on the corner of Crime St. and Murder Ave. is a different story, since it's an overgrown hedge of laurel bushes where people ditch contraband and bags of trash on a daily basis :evil:
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:54 pm

What? You were almost to Cyrus Sutton hippie surf hipster levels restoring that Yater, but failed with neglected raised beds and no slow food growing. Location in inland urban blighted zone with good coffee near by, would only of boosted. You still have time! Time to turn and amend those beds!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:56 pm

Minutemen Corona.

A tribute to Jackass Forever premiering today :!: 8) :mrgreen: :P
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:07 pm

Minutemen Corona

YES! Double Nickels on the Dime is a great album for sure. There's like 40-something songs on that one. There's even a Steely Dan cover, you know, for weirdos who happen to like both punk and 70s yacht rock... :lol:

Saw Mike Watt in concert opening for Primus back in '95. Told my buddy we were going to see a legend. The crowd was really rough. He played a few tunes then told the crowd, "why don't you go start your own f'n band?!!" and left the stage. Primus came on and the crowd continued to be rough. They had to stop the show multiple times. Some bands I expect the crowd to be unruly, but Primus? Really? Anyway, Minutemen = good stuff.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:56 pm

Ha. Sounds like something that would happen back east. Never caught the Minutemen, but did catch fIREHOSE once. Very epic fairly rowdy crowd. Saw Watt at Doug Fir with exOSPer Neck Deep. Great show. Mellow crowd and I think we had fun. Damn that was a long time ago, but feels like not long ago at all :?

Missed Primus this Summer at Edgefield. Heard it was a blast. Looking forward to seeing some outdoor shows there this summer. Been a few years since I've seen any live music other than small stuff in parks or on bar patios in my hood.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)