Change font size   Print view

Unions

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Unions?

Fo shizzo my nizzo!
64%
Oh hell no!
36%

Total votes : 11

Postby speelyei » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:07 pm

sea kittens. Just say it... it's catchy
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby Friend Of The Hawk » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:20 pm

I'm a union man
Just like my daddy and all my kin
I took a union stand
No matter what the company said
I got me two good hands
And just as long as I'm able I won't give in
'Cause I'm a Harlan man
A coal minin' mother 'til the day I'm dead.......
If we can't be free, at least we can be cheap.....
Friend Of The Hawk
coffee WAS my drug of choice

Postby smithgrind » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:53 pm

I'm in a union now and I'm very happy we unionized. The numerous f*cktards that have owned us the last 6 years have driven this place into the ground in the name of ROI. Lord knows they would've f*cked us harder until we were spitting teeth if we hadn't.

So pro, if you gotta know.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby bluesilver » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:28 am

riverjetty wrote:
bluesilver wrote:
I do agree the grocery clerks probably don't need a Union, but I'm willing to bet it was started because most large chains were similar to walmart in the way they treat employees.

Why would you say that? Only skilled blue collar workers (read the already unionized cronies, and recipients of the nepotism rife in the guild) are worthy of union protection? Let's make three working classes, the haves, the haves union, and the scum.

I think the Wobbly's may have their day after all.

Because its like McDonalds.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby bluesilver » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:33 am

riverjetty wrote:If they ever organize Walmart I'll believe they actually care about the workers in america, and not their own pocketbooks. I believe their time is past, and the next generation will need to violently overthrow the government to realize any vestige of the american dream.

Just an opinion, formed by decades of drug abuse and onshore winds.

Yeah um.. they have tried to Unionize Walmart you tard. Walmart is very good about getting around and shutting that talk down, just like they are good at getting away with paying below minimum wage because the fines still are cheaper to pay than the workers!
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby bluesilver » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:35 am

Gazsurf wrote:
grizldoldfk wrote:so...onions...

i personally like onions.
but they may not be for everyone...

Vidalia onions are sweet scabs. I'll stand with red onions any day, they're like brothers to me.

My grandma eats raw onions like apples.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby riverjetty » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:44 am

bluesilver wrote:
riverjetty wrote:If they ever organize Walmart I'll believe they actually care about the workers in america, and not their own pocketbooks. I believe their time is past, and the next generation will need to violently overthrow the government to realize any vestige of the american dream.

Yeah um.. they have tried to Unionize Walmart you tard. Walmart is very good about getting around and shutting that talk down, just like they are good at getting away with paying below minimum wage because the fines still are cheaper to pay than the workers!

If that's trying they'll never unionize another business again. Cursory effort at best.

What's with the name calling? Hope to meet you in real time.
riverjetty
i've put my fin in backwards

Postby bluesilver » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:58 am

riverjetty wrote:
bluesilver wrote:

If that's trying they'll never unionize another business again. Cursory effort at best.

What's with the name calling? Hope to meet you in real time.

Sorry I hurt your feelings. Must be the drugs again. Had I intended to I would have used the full word "retard". I'll put it in parenthesis to keep it clearer.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby riverjetty » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:22 pm

I have no feelings, only perceptions. Please feel free to do whatever you please you perfect piece.
riverjetty
i've put my fin in backwards

Postby Doc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Blue Sliver

There's a difference between parantheses & quotation marks, you retard.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby bluesilver » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:04 am

damn. quotation marks would have made more sense, especially since i used them.
as far as pefect peice.. i try, thanks.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby qball » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:54 pm

Union abuses benefit workers, lots of workers.
CEO abuses benefit only themselves.

Sure unions have problems, but they're the only chance the little guy has.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- 'WOW, what a ride!!!'"
qball
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:15 pm

qball wrote: the only chance the little guy has.

That's what it is ALL about.

Every political argument on this page, and thousands others.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby grizldoldfk » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:47 pm

A dedicated Teamsters union worker was attending a convention in Las Vegas and decided to check out the local brothels. When he got to the first one, he asked the Madam, “Is this a union house?”

“No,” she replied, “I’m sorry it isn’t.”
“Well, if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?”

“The house gets $80 and the girls get $20,” she answered.

Offended at such unfair dealings, the union man stomped off down the street in search of a more equitable, hopefully unionized shop. His search continued until finally he reached a brothel where the Madam responded, “Why yes sir, this is a union house. We observe all union rules.”

The man asked, “And if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?” “The girls get $80 and the house gets $20.”

“That’s more like it!” the union man said. He handed the Madam $100, looked around the room, and pointed to a stunningly attractive blond.

“I’d like her,” he said.
“I’m sure you would, sir,” said the Madam. Then she gestured to a
92-year old woman in the corner, “but Ethel here has 67 years seniority and according to union rules, she’s next.”
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby qball » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:21 am

Wilbur, is that a bad thing that the little guy get a some leverage on the big whigs?

Seems to me, a lot of people earning a decent wage is better in every way for society (meaning me) than having that money concentrated in a couple of pockets. A decent job means less crime, less social problems, less people my taxes have to support.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- 'WOW, what a ride!!!'"
qball
snowboarder know-it-all

PreviousNext

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)