Change font size   Print view

Thought process....

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Thought process....

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:13 pm

So...think about this in the form of a math equation...

If A = B, Then A = C.

So If given that had my brother had health insurance he would likely still be alive today....then had health care been universal my brother would still be alive today.

This is the thought that has been weighing on me.

Today is my brother's birthday. Three days from now he will have been dead for 2 years.

Health insurance was a huge part of his demise.
That and bad eating habits, not enough sleep, too much smoking, and stress.

But here is the deal....

He had to go back to driving for others as he and his wife hit bad financial times.
He developed an umbilical hernia which caused him to not to be able to drive for the one company.
He could not get it fixed as he had no insurance and no money.
He was under an amazing amount of stress during this time and was finally able to get work hauling for someone else.
But it was too late.

However, if he had had regular access to medical care, preventative care, and corrective care, would he still be alive?
Blood pressure, cholesterol, routine blood work....access to this type of care would have probably extended his life.
Being able to have the hernia corrected would have helped relive the stress.

I think the answer to this is yes.
I think it is likely that he would still be alive had he had access to regular health care.

Would it be worth it to me to pay a nominal amount to grant access to health care for him?

Yes.

Will it matter to him now?

No.

Will it matter to you, your neighbor, his brother, your child, now?

Yes.

Is it worth it to me now?

Yes.

Richard, I miss you.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Re: Thought process....

Postby pra_ggresion » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:51 am

It's, if A=B and B=C then A=C.

Are you signed up for the VA coverage. If not you should check it out cause you can apply anytime for the rest of your life after doing (I think) two years of service. It won't cost you anything and you can still get private insurance for the stuff not covered.

You should definitely get back into surfing. It's the best.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Gazsurf » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:20 am

pra_ggresion wrote:You should definitely get back into surfing. It's the best.

STFU
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby fossilgrom » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:27 pm

Sorry Wilb

Ya the whole heath care thing - right or priviledge?

My feeling is that health care is a right - there should be a public option and until there is the whole whole plan should be scrapped.

I love our country; but it is so effed up in so many ways....
free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Postby qball » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 am

Too many people think they have too many rights.

We should have universal health care because it is the right thing to do, not because we are owed it.

And any Christian who tells you he opposes subsidized health care for the lazy, for illegal immigrants, or because it's expensive is lying about his faith.

Wilbur, sorry about your brother. That's rough.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- 'WOW, what a ride!!!'"
qball
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby bluesilver » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:34 am

qball wrote:Too many people think they have too many rights.

We should have universal health care because it is the right thing to do, not because we are owed it.

I cautiously agree. We will see what happens. This will be a work in progress until it becomes more accepted. I think it's a good step in the right direction, but because it is so new for this country it will take time to work out the kinks.
Just keep an open mind, screaming bloody murder about all of this at this stage is just a waste of time and energy.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:34 pm

Then there is the other side of the coin...

My friend who has insurance.
Had to have a pretty small surgery.
After insurance still had to cough up a few grand.
And could only complain about how expensive it was and how he is looking forward to not having to pay for it next time.

Two things....one...how does he think he will now not have to pay for it, and two...who does he think is going to pay for it?
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Dano » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:03 pm

My foot cost upwards of 75K in bills (and counting). I had to pay my $500 dollar deductible, and my coinsurance (20%) until I hit the coinsurance limit of 2K. After that, everything was 100% covered until the calendar reset, and now I am paying these again as I continue to work on my Physical Therapy. So last year I paid 2,500$ our of 75,000$ which amounts to THREE percent. I am very thankful for my insurance policy.

Now what if I didn't have health insurance because I couldn't afford the premiums or had a pre-existing condition that precluded me from getting coverage? My options would have been to try and pay that 75K bill (and likely go bankrupt in the process), or just default on it at which point the insurance companies, doctors and hospitals all would have absorbed the cost between them, which when added to similar costs incurred by a portion of the 40 million uninsured people in the USA, accounts for at least part of the reason why our premiums and costs are so high to begin with.

This bill is FAR from perfect, but at least the problem of people not having insurance, or being denied insurance, resulting in financial ruin for them, and higher costs for the rest of us, has been somewhat addressed. It is a good start. Now when a healthy person like myself gets hurt in a freak accident, or comes down with an unexpected illness, they will be able to get the health care they need regardless of their financial situation. This does not fix the overall cost problem, but at least it is helping provide access. I am not sure I agree with the mandate that we MUST buy insurance (except for kids - I believe all parents MUST be forced to carry health insurance for their children), but I am glad that (in theory) everyone will now have access to it at a cost that is a fraction of what health care costs without insurance.

Wilbur, sorry about your brother. RIP Richard!
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby speelyei » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:27 pm

hey dano, long time no see. Wanna dawn patrol again this spring?
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby Doc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:36 pm

I had ear surgery last year and had a similar experience to Dano's...
My feeling is that besides the insurance issues...
That the rates are ridiculously inflated...
I appreciate the medical practice and it's need...
But c'mon.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby scubetubeular » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:48 pm

My hip replacement surgery was about 45K when everything was said and done.
My deductible and out of pocket expense was $250.
Without insurance I would have never been able to have it done.
When looking at the bill the actual surgeon and surgeon assistant costs were very low.
Less then 5K for both plus the parts. The heavy costs all came from the hospital.
Although I was only in for 3 days. I can't recall the exact amount they charged me for rubber gloves but I do remember throwing up in my mouth when I saw it. In my experience Doctors make the majority of their money on Dr. visits/co-pays and aren't really responsible for the crazy high prices of health care in general.
scubetubeular
over the falls, a way of life

Postby Dano » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:29 am

speelyei wrote:hey dano, long time no see. Wanna dawn patrol again this spring?

Howzit Stiffy...I actually still have not surfed since I broke my foot. I'm headed home to Maui tomorrow for a couple weeks, and intend to give it a good test. If it holds up, I'm definitely down to get some dawn sessions. I'll be in touch.

Scube, I agree... my surgeon, who in my mind deserves every accolade possible for the outstanding work he did, was not the major cost in my ordeal. It was the hospital stays and all the images/scans. Crazy bills!

Aloooooha!
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby Ceedog » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:35 pm

Yeah, my busted foot cost $2k just for some x-rays and a boot with an hour visit to the ER. No insurance and I will end up paying the majority of the ER visit and the 4 $300 checkups out of pocket. I'll be right behind ya Dano, should be wet in a few weeks.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)