Change font size   Print view

so you want to do what....

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

so you want to do what....

Postby fossilgrom » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:48 pm

So I thought I would take my boys hunting this spring (upland birds or squirrels). They are 13 years old (twins). That is the age that my dad took me hunting. When my dad took me hunting we just went. No license required for hunting rabbits at 13 years of age. He taught me about gun safety. How to clean and dress a rabbit or squirrel. It was an awesome time in my childhood. So I'm thinking I'll do the same with my boys this spring break...wrong.

Now the state has decided that they need to teach your children what you should be teaching them - hunter safety class required for anyone under 17 years. Well ok hunter safety is good so OK ... so I checked and the next course is like 3 weeks long and doesn't start until April (after the break). Well that does not do us much good this spring break. I booked a class in April. Well I guess I'm gonna break the law and take my boys out this spring break and teach them myself...sorry to the state or whoever...So next I thought we should take our dirt bikes out to eastern Oregon and...and...well...shite.
free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Re: so you want to do what....

Postby Tatonka » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:51 am

I spent many good times as a young teen tromping through the woods with a .22 hunting squirrels. We always ate what we shot and my buddy made a killer backpack out of the hides. It really freaked out some of the girls when he brought it to school, the top flat was made out of skinned squirrel heads.

Take em out and teach right, my experience has been that those who leave the education of their children solely up to the state are doing themselves and their children a great disservice.
can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tatonka
duck diving fool

Postby Ceedog » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:20 pm

I think you'd get in more trouble for riding the dirt bikes in EO.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby Ron Burgundy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:19 am

fossilgrom wrote:So I thought I would take my boys hunting this spring (upland birds or squirrels). They are 13 years old (twins). That is the age that my dad took me hunting. When my dad took me hunting we just went. No license required for hunting rabbits at 13 years of age. He taught me about gun safety. How to clean and dress a rabbit or squirrel. It was an awesome time in my childhood. So I'm thinking I'll do the same with my boys this spring break...wrong.

Yeah...super wrong. Did your dad teach to read the regulations?
Even most of the pay-to-play pheasant/chukar hunts on private land (with extended seasons) are closed down by now.
Gray Squirrel has a season as well...might want to look into that since I believe its fall.
All probably due to this weird thing we call "breeding season." It's helps ensure that future generations can have the same hunting privileges as us by sustaining bird/game populations.

Bunnies and Black tipped Jacks, go for it. Get 'em on sage rats if you can find a place in X-mas valley that doesn't charge. Hard to come by nowadays, though.
I'm Ron Burgundy, go f#ck yourself San Diego
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Postby fossilgrom » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:00 pm

You got an attitude. Ya I can read. Your dad ever teach any fuking manners.

I have no intention breaking any laws or poaching out of season.

Sage rats is what I was thinking also rough tailed grouse is an option according to ODFW whow I called to talk about hunting oportunities for youth this time of year. I can't bring myself to pay for it so maybe BLM land. Not interested in numbers cuz I would want them to learn to clean and dress what they kill and yes cook and eat it - How do you like your sage rat?
fossilgrom

Postby Ron Burgundy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:36 pm

No, my dad woulda beat my @ss if I learned any manners.

I'd be pretty surprised if youths could hunt ruffed grouse before September. I've been known to be wrong, but since 2002 we've had a steady decline in the number of ruffed and especially blue grouse harvest numbers. They've already proposed shortening the season, so I doubt they're going to let kids go blasting away at them during drumming/mating season.

Albeit you probably don't want any a my help, here's a tip. I been helping coordinating youth turkey hunts for the last 3 years. Starting the second week of April you and your boys have an excellent opportunity to work one of North America's greatest (though not native to Oregon) birds. Donno where you're located but I bet you got agreeable landowners and wild Rio turkeys within 1 hour of you.

Tip to the wise...if you plan on cooking your sage rats, I wouldn't shoot them with anything larger than a .17 grain bullet. Don't leave much left on the bones very often...
Attachments
Copy of Prineville Summer 2009 003.jpg
Copy of Prineville Summer 2009 003.jpg (183.23 KiB) Viewed 18565 times
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Postby fossilgrom » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:56 pm

Nice rat rifle.

Don't mind help at all - in fact, I welcome it. Good advise is always welcome.

Where have you been coordinating your hunts?
fossilgrom

Postby fossilgrom » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:34 am

Oh and by the way...word to the wise...

it is .17 HMR caliber.

Not .17 grain.

Anyway, most likely starting the guys out with a couple bolt action .22s - a little easier on the meat and maybe a bit fairer than a .223 semi auto on the rats.

We live on the coast. I have seen turkeys in our area (i'm talking bout the birds of course) so I will look into hunting them this spring as an option.

What is the bolt action laying on the hood?
fossilgrom

Postby Ron Burgundy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:20 am

Yeah yeah yeah...a pardon muaw... 17 grain bullet, otherwise found in a .17HMR or .17mach 2.

I help coordinate through our local chapter at OHA outside of Prineville (AHAH! I've been uncovered as an imposter...not a coasty anymore). But you don't have to come to my redneck side of the woods or necessarily join Oregon Hunting Association...

This website might help: http://www.oregonhunters.org/chapter_info.htm

I'm not sure if you're in Lincoln County or Clatsop or Tilamook or...but there's contacts on that page. I think some of the Turkey Clinics for Youths will be posted on the "Young Guns" page. The registration for the White River one is actually today, but perhaps if you call the phone number at the bottom right at this link: http://www.oregonhunters.org/images/yea ... _flyer.jpg
you might at least get some information and if interested they could still sign you guys up. I'll keep my eyes posted for ya on the portland area clinics. They sound dorkey as hell but really it is a great deal of information on speaking the turkeys language and kids always have a great time. Sh*t kids always have a great time when they get to hold a gun and gobble like artards.

Keep it real...
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Postby Ron Burgundy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:26 am

Oh and I suppose I dodged the "bullet" so to speak. The bolt action is my Savage .22-250 coyote-justice-deliverer. That .223 is a rock river upper on a American Arms custom lower with a Millet 6-24x44 BOOYA you can't pack that much fun into one gun...oh yes you can!

If the idea of clinics seem overboard, PM me and I can at least comment on a few box calls and slate calls I've had good beginner luck with. The clinics really pay off with diaphram/mouth calls, though. The pro's are the only ones that can teach those down to a T.
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Postby fossilgrom » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:53 am

Right on RB.

I'm scrambling to regroup for this spring break, but think I will head east. Looks like there are a couple OHV trails open out past Bend and might find some sage rats somewhere out there this time of year weather permitting - maybe that BLM area out around 20 and 395. I'm in Newport (lincoln County). This is all real new and not gonna bite off too much too fast. Gonna work on getting the boys their hunter safety course and maybe get more serious this fall season - hopefully a little closer to home.

No matter what, will continue honing their plinking skills this summer.

BTW - Nice Gun. Nothing that fancy here. A couple tack driver .22 rifles is what I plan on taking. I do have a nice BA .22 WMR with ragged hole accuracy out to about 75 yrds. Maybe gonna work on dialing in my .308 while out there.

Thanks for the info.
fossilgrom

Postby speelyei » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:07 am

you hicks and your guns! take it somewhere else, Charlton Heston.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby Ron Burgundy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:02 pm

Heck yah, my .22mag pump has outlasted and outshined just about every rifle I've ever owned. Would most definitely have to be pried from my cold dead hands. P.S. if you whack a sage rat with your .308 PLEASE post pictures!

Craig, why don't you pony ups and post pics of your home assembled 5.56 NATO or whatever it was you made.
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Postby speelyei » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:45 pm

my what? that I made? I always thought you were a Wilbur Kookmeyer alias...
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby bluesilver » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Yeah I thought you made a rifle out of a block of oak or something
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Next

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)