Change font size   Print view

Half-Marathon

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Half-Marathon

Postby Trula » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:46 pm

So my sister-in-law wants me to run a half-marathon with her in a year. I have a whole year to train so I was planning on putting it off for a couple months but with my procrastination skills I figured I would keep pushing it back. Started a beginner's 13 week training program this week and figured that if I make it through that then I can work on decreasing my time and maybe run a 5k and a 10 k before the half.

We just moved into our new building at work and the gym in awesome. It is smaller with only 2 treadmills, an eliptical, 2 bikes and a pretty good selection of strength training equipment but it is probably the nicest gym in the town where I live. Nice to have it all to myself the last 2 days even.

Anyone have any advice on training I would appreciate it. I figure if I can stick with it for the first couple of weeks I can make it through.
Portland - Where young people go to retire.
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Re: Half-Marathon

Postby navier-stokes » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:32 am

gym workouts are fine for a few workouts here or there, but real quality training can only happen outdoors. you need to get on the road, partially to get your body used to the imapct of running on a road (surface the race will be on, unless it is a trail run) also if if a trail run, then training on trails is really the only way you can build the balance and reflexes needed to deal with naturally uneven terrain.

other than that follow the workout programs as guides, in that if you get injured rest, missing a workout here and there will not kill you, try to eat sesiable as your food is your fuel... blah blah blah from here on i could be thousand other sources, but most importantly get out of the gym and run. use the gym for weight routines, rest days on a stationary bike when the weather is nasty etc.

my two pence on the matter.
upgrade your grey matter, 'cause some day it may matter
navier-stokes
Yay, I know the OSP fight song!

Postby Trula » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Got some outdoor runs in last week. Gym is convenient when it is dark and the weather is nasty like today. Plus it is nice and secure including our parking lot which is a bonus at night. Hoping for some nice weather on my days off so I can get outside. It is a roadrace through Disneyland and Anaheim, get to run across the field at Angels stadium.
Portland - Where young people go to retire.
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby erzats » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:40 pm

Trula wrote:...get to run across the field at Angels stadium.

damn, last time I did that I was sooooo high...
erzats
core!

Postby bluesilver » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:49 pm

I've been doing 1/32 marathons, but it seems no one's impressed.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Doc » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 pm

I've been involved in a few marathon sessions.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby the dude » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Trula, perhaps this guy could give you a bit of inspiration and perspective...
Do the Young Shuffle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Young_(athlete)
the dude
I do it Beavertail style

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)