Change font size   Print view

So...what do you do when you don't surf?

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

So...what do you do when you don't surf?

Postby Doc » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:00 pm

I already know what a bunch of you do...
But what else do you do...
Maybe with as much passion as surfing...
Maybe less...
But maybe that's all you got.

I'll start...
I'm pretty much all or nothing...
In pretty much everything I do...
So here are my gigs:
1/ Martial Arts...recently resumed after a long haitus
2/ Building stuff...erected a 10 x 20 outbuilding in my backyard last year (still working on it)
3/ Genealogy...I do alot of family research
4/ Drinking...I just really like drinking
5/ Gardening...I guess all the yardwork my Dad made me do took hold
6/ Carving...not as much as I'd like , but if I get going on something...obsessive

Next...
Boat building...
I bought plans...
My wife is pissed.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Re: So...what do you do when you don't surf?

Postby erzats » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:18 am

I bake all of the bread that I eat. Sourdough. People seem to like it.

I garden to grow food. For me this is mainly a spring/summer activity.

I ride my bike a lot to get to and from work - 20 miles per day. It's a passion even if it seems like drudgery at times.

Building a kayak is high on the list.

Play guitar. I'm still really crappy. But, it makes me feel good and sometimes great and it always eases my heart in some way.

I write infrequently, but when I do I'm very passionate about it.

Obviously the OSP is not one of my passions/activities.
erzats
core!

Postby wanty » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:27 am

doc kicks @ss who knew? do you like MMA/UFC too? bj penn fight tonight!

if im not surfing i'm playing the piano. blues, boogie and original compositions.
i also like to go wheel 4x4 off-road.
wanty
Site Admin

Postby Doc » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:30 pm

I don't really follow MMA...
Aside from You Tube...
And occassionally catching it when I had cable...
BJ Penn is pretty accomplished tho.

Doc
Doc

Postby brdsurf » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:32 am

Is this a G rated forum or ? :oops:

Reading takes up alot of my free time, and once this 2' thick ice melts then I will sweep a bit to help recover from two knee surgeries in an attempt to be in shape to bail to the sea once again.

Guitar, but I suck at it and still learning all the time. Still coming to grips with the Emin chord :?

Cooking also takes up time. Something I do for work but also something that I dont leave at home. And of course drinking goes along with that. Being in Europe one of the things I like is the availability to find smaller producers of nice wines that are harder to find back in the USA. The downside is that craft brewing on a small scale is way behind compared to the western USA. I once found a small brewery here using Cascade and Chinook hops and just had to buy some. It wasnt bad but at nearly $7 a bottle.....

Gemstones have also taken a bit of time lately once again. I blame it on family heritage. Grandfather was mine and natural resource surveyor for the Govt covering the NW. For some reason I always seem to collect rocks. Add to that the family mine in SE Oregon and an education from the GIA and well, it these economic times, good investments can be found. I have a few to sell or trade if anyone is into that.
"I have to overcome that safety mechanism that wants to rise up in me and to keep me from doing something that could kill me."
"Everything’s okay until it isn’t."
brdsurf
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:14 am

I'm going to pretend that my input actually is of any interest to anyone around here and offer the following:

I don't surf as much as I used to and this leaves a lot of time to fill, however life has a way of filling time for you when you let go of the controls.

In no particular order, when I am not chasing surf I:

- Check the forecasts, every day, sometimes multiple times a day.
- Look at travel deals to places where i want to surf.
- Think a lot about the types of boards I wish I had or that I want to try.
- Ponder how surfing will fit into the next 20 years of my life.
- Wonder if I am over this surfing thing enough to move to Bend or if I could talk my wife into moving to Central Florida.
- Every now and then I lean back, close my eyes, and relive those waves that are burned into my being.
- I write, though not as much I used to. Since my muse (sadness) has been driven out by all of this happiness crap I don't seem to have much to say.
- Play guitar. But unlike the modesty displayed above I will tell you that I rip. But still not at the level I want to be. As a natural bass player, pouring so much into the guitar is like living a lie. But how is playing bass alone any kind of fun?
- Work on our home. Currently reversing the poor decision of a prior owner who put carpet on the stairs that lead from the garage to the main floor of the house.
- Work on my boat, the "Fowl Shot" and dream of getting rid of the scowl in the favor of procurring a more viable version.
- Work. I work a lot. My wife and I both do. Laptops on at home, email up, email on the Droid, always on...to some degree.
- Hunt. I love being in the wilds persuing the wild things. I rarely kill, but I love the hunt.
- Garden. I have a good sized veggie garden that I tend to with great love in the spring through fall. I watch it sit stagnant from fall through winter. I always enjoy taking the deer fence down in the fall and watching the deer mow it back down.
- I work on photography. I suck at it. But if I take 500 photos, i might glean 1 or 2 photos that i am fond of.
- Fishing. I enjoy this a lot, however I have really not found my way in the fishing world of the NW. It's a continual process.
- Motorcycles. I love riding and working on motorcycles. Though so very tired of the all-Harley-all-day scene. I don;t care what you ride, as long as you are passionate about riding.
- Marvel at my nearly adult daughter and wonder how I ever got her this far.....
- Cook...I freakin love food.
- Talk shite.....it's fun.
- Find time to hang in the garage, smoking, working on shite, listening to music, and wondering what's wrong with the carburation of my riding mower....
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Tex » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:52 pm

When I am not surfing, I am working...starting a company has been insane. We were 2, working out of my neighbors house in late 2006 and today we are over 60 with an office looking over Pioneer Courthouse square. Love working in the energy field, it has been thoroughly rewarding but there are several days a month when I would do anything to ditch out of another meeting to hit some of my favorite spots.

Then it is kids and wife the rest of the time. By 7yr old is really into basketball so we are doing that alot. My 5 yr old is into skateboards and baseball. Oh and they love ripping up my house at every opportunity. Try to be in the office super early so I can be home with the fam in time for dinner most nights.

Cycling, used to race road and track bikes waaaaaaay back in the day. The bike is my primary mode of commute, like to get in longer rides whenever I can.

Running, so I can enjoy my IPA's without getting a gut. Other than that, I am not really a fan but at 39, I gotta do it.

Hanging with the homies, we usually do a big fire pit burner every couple of weeks, all the neighbors come over, drink brews, smoke, have a good ol time. Love my block, we kick it pretty good. Our last block party had over 300 people.

Then it is kind of along the lines of Wilber, check to see how crazy the forum gets, check the cams, check the wave garden site, check the forcasts, fantasize about getting my 5'0 Simmons replica in the water asap.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Spent » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:29 am

Doc wrote:IBut what else do you do...

Mostly this:
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Doc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Looks like a longboard wave.

Doc
Doc

Postby wanty » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:53 pm

looks like Nash?
wanty
Site Admin

Postby wanty » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:53 pm

oh wait no its slimvest.
wanty
Site Admin

Postby Gazsurf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:39 pm

Spent wrote:

Mostly this:

Is that one of you Pikeys dropping the kids off? It's disturbing either way....... :x
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby the dude » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:58 pm

poor person pushing the little one in the stroller! :shock: :D
the dude
I do it Beavertail style

Postby redalert » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:49 am

Gotta say Hats off on this one!
I was wondering why this thread was important right up until I saw this picture,
and now alot of longstanding, unanswered very personal questions have been answered.
Brilliant epiphanies really. Now it all makes sense.
Let me explain for those of you that are not from here or just spend your winter someplace warm and dry.

When I'm not surfing I used to like a good game of vollyball, especially indoor in the winter, it's been a while
so last week when I went out to find some gear for a game I found my balls were all flat and moldy. :(

Pictured below is the Solution.
First lets look at the picure.
Clearly it is springtime on the Oregon coast, you can tell because the ocean in the background is something less that 22 feet at 8 seconds.
What you cannot see is that this bloke has come out on this bluebird day after a long wet winter spent mostly indoors trying to stay warm burning soggy driftwood and living off dwindling foodstamps.
Now pay attention because here is the helpful part of the process for you people not born and raised around here.
Also what you cannot see in the picture is that this fella is holding his breath and counting to 50, while at the same time flexing all of the muscles in his upper body. What this does is force air pressure downward to re-inflate the testicles (you can see he is about 3/4 inflated).
It might take a few tries but dont give up. Once you are re-inflated just scrub the mold off (and this is where I wish we had a few more photos) with a light bleach and water solution and a stiff brush.
Air dry for about 20 minutes and you are GOOD for about the next 6 months.
Hope this helps.

Spent wrote:

Mostly this:
I digress
redalert
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby dogfur » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:32 pm

When I'm not surfing I'm usually thinking about surfing, wishing I was surfing, visualizing myself surfing. It's really hard to focus on my job. I don't surf much in winter. I spend a lot of winter evenings playing ukulele, harmonica, and drums. I also enjoy winter steelhead fishing on the Siuslaw, where for the past three winters I've been working on building a log cabin on some family property. We've got a sawmill down there, which is really fun to run, and provides a steady source of lumber for woodworking projects in the garage. I try to read as much as possible. When the weather warms up I'll start riding my bike to work (6 mi. 1 way) That's the best part of my workday! I try to get all my home stuff done during the week so I can spend weekends at the beach. Mostly I love making stuff...
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG (218.54 KiB) Viewed 25454 times
tables, boxes, bookshelves, etc. Next up - 1st shot at building a surfboard.
Attachments
drums.jpg
drums.jpg (47.06 KiB) Viewed 25454 times
Life is too important to be taken seriously.
dogfur
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Next

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)