Change font size   Print view

Listening to?

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Listening to?

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:19 am

Just finishing up Timber Wars, an OPB podcast on Spotify and probably on some other platforms too. Very much rural Oregon and reminds me of times of the past. Brings back a lot of memories living in Southern Oregon in the 90s working for both activists and the USFS and all the issues in our forests at the time. Things have definitely changed, but I have been seeing more clear cuts and trees being hauled out of the forests lately with the wood prices so high and increased demand. Anyways worth a listen and some good and real Oregon history and stories.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby 2tone » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:40 am

Calibans War - The Expanse Book 2...
2tone
Mermaided

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:36 am

Finally a good surfing podcast! Buddy turned me on to this one on Kauai and I've really been enjoying it. Not sure if it was the manna or if the valley rot will kill the vibe, but Jamie Brisick does a good job with some awesome guests. I've never listened to any surf podcasts before this one.

https://www.surfersjournal.com/soundings-season-01/
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Chanel Derrière » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:33 pm

Dane Reynolds episode highly recommended
Tony Alva episode highly not recommended

One thinks they have a solid understanding of ego and the other one does.
Pink Floyd and Single Fin Logs.
Chanel Derrière
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:56 am

Glad you guys are enjoying Soundings as well. Seems more keen on exploring deeper human experiences through the lens of surfing rather than just naval gazing. A rap with world's most interesting surfer, Dave Parmenter just dropped; I'm saving that one for a long drive...
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:09 am

TA a BS artist? He was defiantly a bit preachy. I personally liked that one mostly due to him gleaming some advice on ageing and keeping mentality and physically sound. I think sobriety or at least ditching or weening the booze is a huge to keep going into your 50s and 60s. Anyways was a kinda inspired by that. Also liked to hear about what modern surfers he was inspired by, which I was not surprised by given his love for alt surf craft which I read about in that TSJ article a while back. Has he ditched the ego? Maybe not? Other than Dogtown doc and that TSJ article I don't have much knowledge on what he has been up to.

I mentioned the Parameter episode in the CL thread. I guess TSJ subscribers, which my buddy in HI is and had access to many episodes prior to going to mainstream pods. Same buddy said Mike D is a good one. Haven't listened to Danes yet, but I have a good idea where it will probably go. Dane's hit or miss with me. I've been saving them for the long drives to the coast myself.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Previous

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)