Change font size   Print view

Caffeine Free

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Gazsurf

Caffeine Free

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:14 pm

So I stopped drinking coffee a week ago today and all I can say is, what kind of fresh hell is this? I feel like a passenger in my own skull; I is another and not only that, I is pissy and depressed and have headaches everyday. Like most of my healthy habits, I kicked the bean to help my surfing, but there’s not even a damn wave out there!

I don’t know if this one is going to last... this has been a truly terrible experience and I now realize there will be no revolution, no general strike, until the coffee supply chain is irrevocably disrupted. Caffeine is literally mind control— and we’re all physically and psychologically hooked without realizing how deep the dependence runs. Babylon, you’ve done it again.

Man, this sucks.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
Ten barrel mullet

Re: Caffeine Free

Postby Tex » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:05 pm

I am down to 2-3 small cups of black coffee from 6:00-9:00 every morning. Feeling ok about that...
Tex
a legend in his own brine

Postby Spent » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:22 pm

The first week is the worst. Stick with it. I'm at 1 cup a day but I've been caffeine free before and slept so damn well. I'm hoping to go through a booze free/ caffeine free stint soon.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Tex » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:23 am

booze is pure poison....never going back to that shit.
Tex

Postby Tex » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:24 am

Now going sugar free is pure loco
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:38 am

Thanks, Spent-- I appreciate the words of encouragement. Was fortunate not to have a physical addiction to booze, so I can only compare this withdrawal to cigs. Expected some headaches, but didn't take into account frazzled brain chemistry.

The most difficult aspect is, there's really no reason to do this to myself. I just thought it would make my dawn patrols a little more efficient and ease a bit of the occasional fear & frothing.

Anyhow, good luck if you take the plunge.

And Tex, you sound like you've got a good routine going. Coffee has a half life of 5-6 hours, so if you're an early riser it doesn't mess with your sleep that bad. As for sugar, your brain runs on glucose, so it's not so much giving up sugar (such as what is in fruit), it's about moderating the sugar that's unnecessary (high fructose corn syrup).

Man, I sound like a health guru. I'm not, but maybe I should get me a slot on public access television anyway.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:47 pm

I actually embarrass myself at Safeway with the absolute shit in my cart, to the point where I have to do self check out cause I know the checker would be like what the f@#K are you trying to do to yourself bro??? Icecream, dots, rootbeer, and cookies. I gotta stop.....
Tex

Postby BOX » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:03 pm

I switched to decaf a couple of years ago. I love to drink coffee, but I just didn't need all of that extra caffeine. Sure, it came in handy when I was working full time, going to school full time, raising two kids, and getting maybe about 3 hours of sleep every night, but now that I'm middle aged and sitting at a desk all day I really don't need all of that extra pump coursing through my veins. I get anxious enough as it is, I don't need any extra help. Though, on the flip side, Howly, I did read a recommendation somewhere once to down a gallon or so of java before a session to help amp you up so you charge harder, so there is that to consider...
BOX
I wax the bottom of my board

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 am

I don't understand decaf, Box, but maybe I should... I do feel less anxious and realize my jaw is a little less clenched these days. There are some perks to this miserable non-caffeinated lifestyle.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
Ten barrel mullet

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)