Change font size   Print view

Spring 2023 North Coast Observations

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Spring 2023 North Coast Observations

Postby Tex » Sun May 14, 2023 3:48 pm

So my wife and I were invited to Manzanita on Saturday 5/13 to celebrate the one year anniversary of my wife's aunt who passed from a long fight with colon cancer. Our uncle and his daughters rented a lovely cabin on Manzanita Ave for the weekend. Being Mother's Day the next day, my wife opted to be home Sat eve with the objective to spend most of Sunday gardening. Below are the observations I made in no particular order.

1. No major traffic west bound at 7:00 AM.
2. Shorties lots were all full by 9:30
3. 1.5 hour wait to be seated at the Yolk for breakfast, my uncle showed up at 8:15 to get a table and they were already booked out....now, it should be said here that the Yolk is worth the wait. I give it 5 stars, the food is seriously really good.
4. Had to park quarter mile north of Hug Point to actually hang out at Hug Point and this was at 11:00 AM.
5. Wind was blowing out peaks anywhere that was not a cove.
6. 1.5 miles north of Shortsands had cars parked on both sides of the freeway by 1:30
7. I saw a LOT of long foam boards and Torqs....specifically, the rainbow colored foam long boards, wow, Cleanline must have killed it with the rentals this weekend.
8. Wildfire near Elsie on 26 West at 5:00 had traffic backed up 10 miles each way. Luckily, wildfire was not near the road. Travelers on 26 caught in a large wildfire would be seriously fucked. Warning sign on 101 about wildfire was posted, which was great, in hindsight, should have probably gone through Astoria. Ended up taking 3.75 hours to get home.

Things to contemplate:

Highway 101 definitely has a parking/pedestrian problem between Cannon and Manzanita. I contemplated double decker parking lots, I contemplated big carve outs on the east side of the road. I contemplated a pedestrian corridor with travel speeds lowered to 25 mph or 30 mph. It is pretty dangerous, walking along the 101 and trying to pull out off the shoulder. It will be interesting to see if any solutions are generated as I expect this summer to be completely mayhem with crowds.

North coast weekend surf, if one must, would be optimized with first light arrival at surf spots and departure back before noon...or rent a cabin from Thursday to Monday....both options will minimize crowds and traffic.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: Spring 2023 North Coast Observations

Postby Major Lazer » Wed May 17, 2023 10:26 am

Good observations. Nuts there was a wildfire in the range! Had no idea. I recommend always checking Trip Check or G Maps data prior to departure on a busy weekend, but sometimes you cant avoid it. We got stuck on 6 a year or so ago for at least an hour as there was a fatal accident that closed both lanes. Lucky we were on the Wilson, so kids and I went down to the river for a bit and chilled.

All and all North Coast is stupid crowded now from Seaside to Nehalem on weekends like last. All of those day use lots have reached capacity spilling out on to 101. Best avoided or as you mentioned, get in early on Thursday and out early or mid day Sun. Or come later afternoon and out after sunset which is around 9:30 these days. Some friends went to Indian Sun, but left Gotham at 5am and came back around noon. All and all I avoid going during the heat waves, but this past weekend the swell and conditions were to good not to. Surfed Sharts Fri eve and was quiet, but most of the beach closed out with the exception of a few corners at a select spot for about an hour around HT. Avoided the zone entirely Sat and Sun and found some fun ones elsewhere.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Doc » Tue May 23, 2023 8:56 pm

I recall a memorable 4th of July weekend...
Found 26 backed up nearly to the 6 junction...
Nope, nope, nope...
Hopped onto 6 and smooth sailing...
Thought I was pretty smart...
Until I hit the 4th of July Parade in Rockaway...
For 3 hours or so...
And that was probably 20 years ago.
I avoid the coast on weekends mostly.
Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Major Lazer » Tue May 30, 2023 2:26 pm

Haha. There are spots south of Rockaway, but not telling you anything you don't already know..... sounds like you were clearly on a mission to Soft Top Sands.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)