Change font size   Print view

Pardon?

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

think he'll get a pardon?

yes
45%
no
55%

Total votes : 11

Postby Ceedog » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:02 am

Scooter will get a pardon, although it may have to wait until Jan 08'. He did his part for the team, and they'll have to take care of him one way or another so he doesn't oink on them.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby The Blonde » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:10 am

who the sh*t is scooter?
I approve this message
The Blonde
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Gazsurf » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:21 am

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:Kind of like that whole idea where the leftys support freedom of religion and freedom of speech, as long as you are not a Christian and as long as you say what they agree with.

But that's a whole other argument right there.

That is such a baseless statement....................the right wing evangelical is the most dangerous threat to religious freedoms. Try being a Muslim in Texas........ watch the Friday night pig races from the comfort of your mosque!

The left enjoys "multi- culturalism" this includes a variety of common religions. Just not within the confines of govt. this is the big marble that keeps rolling around in the fundi's heads and they refuse to let it go. Thank god Europe has been pointing the way forward for democracy for the past 50 years. Somehow their churches still thrive........

Fundi's love to throw morality into almost every aspect of the medical sciences. From reproductive rights, to cell research and vaccines.......it's endless. So much of those eforts to thwart progress flies in the face of common sense, something the left is accused of lacking.

You can thank liberals that you have a Bible to read, they decriminalised the practise back in the day..................when they took their lives into their hands by secretly copying by hand and later printing them against the wishes of the church.
Last edited by Gazsurf on Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:28 am

The Blonde wrote:who the sh*t is scooter?

You are an uninvolved and non-patriotic american. I am ashamed to know you.

TFD...you should take her to skool too.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby tail first drop » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:25 pm

Im leaning towards letting the clueless remain so.
tail first drop

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:26 pm

tail first drop wrote:Im leaning towards letting the clueless remain so.

Straight up...what the f@#K is your malfunction?
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby The Blonde » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:31 pm

He has no malfunction. Its abnormal not to have mental disorders these days. Dude is perfectly normal. The thing here is, he gets excited when he has someon besides his scizzo self to argue with....you are actually the one with the problem for egging him on when the rest of us wish he would would shut the hell up.

I approve this message
The Blonde
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:53 pm

Gazsurf wrote:
Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:Kind of like that whole idea where the leftys support freedom of religion and freedom of speech, as long as you are not a Christian and as long as you say what they agree with.

But that's a whole other argument right there.

That is such a baseless statement.............

No it's not Gaz. You were not the one siting on the floor enjoying a movie and beers with your friends while your friends ruthlessly hacked away at your religion while touting the need for freedom of religion.

You are not the one that draws fire on here and in other areas based only on the idea that you claim to have Christian faith.

Have you ever heard or known of me to attack anyone based on their faith or lack there of?

How many anti-Christian slogans do you know off the top of your head? What about anti-Christian bumper stickers?

How many Anti-Budhist or Muslim slogans or stickers have you heard or seen?

Unless you are a Christian, and I assume you are not, you probably do not really understand the attitude that people have towards you. I have ben, and continue to meet, people that think I am a cool cat and groovy and what not. Then they find out that I happen to have a Christian based faith. Suddenly...I am plagued.

Freedom of speech. Please. Liberals scream for the freedom of speech but only as long as what you have to say is something they agree with.

What about hate speech? Is that not protected? What about the Neo Nazis? the Metzgers of the world, in Idaho, and elsewhere. What about the Klan?

I may not like what they have to say, but I would die for their right to say it.

Liberals on the other hand, would like to shut them up completely and do not support their right to say what they feel.

Look at what goes on within these pages? Inside this fictitious place where we joke and jobe each other. Look what happens any time someone goes against the grain of the "norm".

Freedom of speech is simply that.

.......the right wing evangelical is the most dangerous threat to religious freedoms. Try being a Muslim in Texas........ watch the Friday night pig races from the comfort of your mosque!

Can I ask who ever said I was a fundementalist republican or Christian?

The left enjoys "multi- culturalism" this includes a variety of common religions. Just not within the confines of govt. this is the big marble that keeps rolling around in the fundi's heads and they refuse to let it go. Thank god Europe has been pointing the way forward for democracy for the past 50 years. Somehow their churches still thrive........

Again...my experiences speak directly to the oppsite. Multi-culturalism is only seemingly supported as long as you are not a White Heterosexual Christian Male.

I for one would love to be treated in the world as I treat others, but I am not. I am feared, hated, and targeted based on nothing more than my looks, my religion, and the color of my skin.

Fundi's love to throw morality into almost every aspect of the medical sciences. From reproductive rights, to cell research and vaccines.......it's endless. So much of those eforts to thwart progress flies in the face of common sense, something the left is accused of lacking.

I agree. Truly. But then again...I am NOT a fundementalist in any form.

You can thank liberals that you have a Bible to read, they decriminalised the practise back in the day..................when they took their lives into their hands by secretly copying by hand and later printing them against the wishes of the church.

Liberals or not, I would thank them. though, my beliefs on the Bible's validity and purity leave a shadow of uncertainty at best.

You and I may not ever see eye to eye on anything, however, I could not tell you what your experience in South Africa was based on my conjecture, just as you can never tell me what my experience has showed me about the Liberals in the Portland area. I have been there. Within their ranks. Marched on Bush Sr. Got sprayed with the pepper spray. Watched them burn the Flag at a protest of the Gulf round one. You do not know my experiences and teachings, and I do not know yours.

But what I know...I know.
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Gazsurf » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:45 pm

Wilbur you're taking my post way too personally, in no way was that directed at your personal beliefs (of which I know only as much as you post about).

Your statement was a blanket over "liberals", it seems to me you hung with anarchists at the time "Little Beiruit" was earning it's nickname. Not the same animal in my opinion.

As for being somehow punished by societal norms for being WCHM, I have to say you are still ahead of the game in comparison to the real minorities that have to gain some traction in this world.

Don't get mad at me............... I just enjoy the dialogue.
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby gills » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:08 pm

It's an interesting topic wilbs, and makes me confront what I really think about christians. I was raised catholic, am immensely familiar with the bible (more than most whether they have faith or not) but I never bought it. I never believed, ever. Probably because my mind is built to question things and the problem MY mind has with belief is that you can't question beliefs.

I would say this though. I'm not close with any christians. If I meet someone and find out that they have a faith in god, that usually translates as what I consider a 'wedge' between us. Tolerance is an entirely different thing--- I have no problem with moderate christians just as I don't have a problem with moderate liberals. I don't like extreme anything.

But the way I'm built makes it nearly impossible to see eye to eye with a christian. I've looked at a lot of history and have come to the conclusion that Constantine delcared Rome a christian state for his own political well being and that translations of the bible are so mired by gaps and inconsistancies that they cease to be relevant or authentic. In jesus's day, there were a hundred jesuses-- people forget that--- shamans were a dime a dozen, remember this is the pre-scientific world for the most part, myth was everything---- there were people preaching and healing everywhere-- but just like rockstars or celebrities only a few make the pages of history. Jesus was lucky in my opinion--- what jesus popularized was the original thought, 'pick on someone your own size' or as its so often quoted, 'turn the other cheek'. There are smatterings of this important philosophical movement all up and down Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Thales, Zeno, Plutarch, and Aristophanes-- but none preached it as widely and elegantly as jesus of nazarath. Without this distinction, the idea of 'might is right' would still persist as law. Arguably it does still, but on an economic level, not a physical one.

But, let's put it this way-- as a snot nosed post college grad with a bunch of philosophy under my belt-- I was a full blown christian basher. I am, no longer though. I don't feel its right to be that way towards anyone, whatever they believe. But, I'd say this, 'the evangelical right' and my 'mom who is catholic' are two totally different worlds with regard to belief structure. So yeah, I might bash a president's faith that on the record says, 'god talked to me personally and told me to go to war' because to me, that's just plain delusional (I mean, my mom never sounded like this as a catholic woman)-- and doesn't have anything to do with god, jesus, faith, etc...

So, I respect others rights to believe whatever they want, though I don't share them.

In the world at large, pure atheists are the biggest minority.
gills

Postby tail first drop » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:00 pm

So thats why he mentioned my penis, he is a christian....another persecuted, hated, white male....I think I hear Rush Limpballs in the background...

WK sets up the strawman and then tears it apart.
Over and over again.
Yawn.

And Blonde, you shouldnt throw stones nor speak for "the rest of us".
tail first drop

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:58 pm

TFD...seriously...the time for your harrasment has come to an end. It is no longer entertaining or enjoyable.

I have no idea what I said that has set you on these rants against me..but it is time for them to stop.

Now.

Get it?

It's over..you win..whatever...just stop now.
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Ceedog » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:39 am

Gills, good post, given your begininngs I can understand some of what you felt. Wilb, you made a lot of good points.

The one thing that I don't understand is: How does a faith/belief take the blame for the actions of so many corrupt and malicious humans throughout history. This is what the whole, "blame it on religion" shell game comes down to. Let's take Christianity, for instance, the key element is the belief that Jesus died for our sins. Not to be preachy or anything but, the bible tells us that he preached things like kindness and humility. The problem is that people associate christianity with tyrants and corruptable figures who have only used it to control or manipulate populations. Just because I use a tool in the wrong way doesn't make it a bad thing, like anything else it could be abused. And that's what I think has happened since the beginning of religion. And I would hope that people could understand this.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby tail first drop » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:03 am

"The problem is that people associate christianity with tyrants and corruptable figures who have only used it to control or manipulate populations."

And what else is religion good for?

Gets you out of dying. Very few religions do not promise some sort of "after-life" and face it, we are all afraid of dying.
May the Flying Spaghetti Monster wrap you in her noodly appendages....

(BTW, it turns out that Libby the Liar isnt qualified for a pardon...not that B*shco wont find a way around it...)
tail first drop

Postby The Landlord » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:04 pm

There was a great article on park ranger/surfer Gary Strachan in TSJ last year. I like his take on religion...

"How ironic and forlorn that the vast majority of populations, especially in an 'educated' country such as America, haven't gone beyond believing in magical and unproven fairy tales like heaven and hell."
The Landlord
Hawaii big surf veterinarian

PreviousNext

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)