Change font size   Print view

New OSP Rule?

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Should Spot Naming be an OSP offense?

Yes. You should be chastized and caned.
55%
No. I would not know where to surf without it.
20%
Who cares. I just want to chastise and cane you.
25%

Total votes : 20

New OSP Rule?

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:35 am

Spot naming and general disclosure.

Should this result in thread or post deletion?

Should it result in temporary banning of members?

I for one belive that yes:

Disclosing sufing spot information, descriptions, names, whereabouts, and what makes it work, shold be eliminated.

People found posting such information should be warned and then banned temporaily.

I would like to see this become a new adendum to the OSP rules.

Thoughts?
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby brdsurf » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:46 am

Besides for most of the spots, considering most of you all surf together or spot each other anyway its all out there anyway being talked about.
What would the purpose of not mentioning the Camp, Seaside, Shortsands, Indian, South Beach, PC, Gas Chambers, Annies..... and so forth? Would it somehow become less crowded? Who or what we trying to protect these days?
"I have to overcome that safety mechanism that wants to rise up in me and to keep me from doing something that could kill me."
"Everything’s okay until it isn’t."
brdsurf
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby Foul Pete » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:59 am

there is only one spot in oregon and its called 'Hundreds of miles of exposed beach break.' get up early in the summer and choose your peak.
Foul Pete
duck diving fool

Postby gills » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:01 am

I think believing that the OSP is responsible for getting more people into surfing is delusions of grandeur. If anything that could be consistently gleened from this page is that surfing in Oregon sucks.
gills

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:04 am

One of the things I have enjoyed about surfing in Oregon is exploration and a sense of discovery. It is also cool to see others that seem to rise to the challneges of the region.

I see pointing people to spots as pandering to the lowest common denominator.

It's not a matter of the OSP giving up the goods o adding to crowds, it is just about respect of what is and has been tradition in surfing in general, and specifically in Oregon and the PNW.
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby brdsurf » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:10 am

Well if anything naming spots would help assure that there would be still be places left to explore.....
Since Agate was so good on X day, and Otter, and so forth maybe the masses will stick to them and allow those who desire loneliness to have it. Its kind of like the Santa Monica region. You have the Bu, Topanga, County Line and Secos, and everyone seems to go there despite there being dozens of great spots amongst them.
"I have to overcome that safety mechanism that wants to rise up in me and to keep me from doing something that could kill me."
"Everything’s okay until it isn’t."
brdsurf
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby Quagmeyer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:19 pm

I don't think you need to worry about people posting spot names and such.... The website does this for them:

http://www.oregonsurf.com/html/surfspots_north.html

To contribute to a site that posts specific info on sites and then chastise people for divulging that same info seems kind of pointless. Even if people were banned from the forum, my guess is more people researching surfing in Oregon would access the surf spot section of the website over browsing the forum for sporadic and misleading information...

Or they'd just go to wannasurf.com :wink:
Giggidy giggidy
Quagmeyer
surfing improved my love life

Postby Down The Line » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:24 pm

I suggest we let Grizzled take care of them.
triple hopped .
Down The Line
my board is in drydock

Postby intrepid » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:33 pm

It's been my experience that most people won't surf a spot unless these criteria are met:

1. a parking lot with easy beach access
2. a short walk to the waves
3. a lot of people that already surf there
4. being recognized by wannasurf.com
intrepid
I tube ride side saddle

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:35 pm

I found out about this forum while looking for places to surf on the internet. some spots on oregonsurf have been taken off because of the sensitivity surrounding them. I think the ones left are an adequate place to begin a search. Other than the ones already named here, I don't think its good manners to divulge info on places that require earning some cumulative knowledge concerning our unique coastline. Earn it then surf it. It cheapens it if you don't. I'd feel robbed if someone had just broke down all the information I've learned up to this point about Oregon. I hope others feel the same way and respect that.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Doc » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:36 pm

It's better as an unwritten rule...

I think an edit with XXXXX XXXXX and a pm to the poster about why is a better solution...deletions and banning and the rest just makes it all so contentious...

That said, posting reports about the usual suspects...doesn't bother me a bit

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:48 pm

Out of the 15 spots named on the OSP surf spot listing, I can now say, I have been to or surfed every one of them.

They also represent about 1/3 of the places I have surfed in Oregon.

Anything outside of the usual known suspects, should be discussed while shrouding the area, location, and conditions.
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby The Blonde » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:29 pm

If there is chast...whatevering and caining involved....Im going to be dropping names every post. Please beat me and call me wrechid names.
I approve this message
The Blonde
Am I addicted to this?

Postby redalert » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:50 pm

I'm in agreement with you (I didnt think it was possible) on this one Wilbur

By the way I just checked XXX and it was chXXXty. But had a decent sesh yesterday at XXX.
redalert
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby tail first drop » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:38 pm

as long as you bunch of f*ckers stay away from the southerly end of things, you're all right. :twisted: :lol:
tail first drop

Next

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)