Change font size   Print view

NBC

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Did NBC cross a line?

Yes.
25%
No.
63%
Don't care.
13%

Total votes : 8

NBC

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:54 pm

I have been out of touch with the evening news of late.

Though I was not privy to the images, wordds, and story line of the gunman in V-Tech, I understand they ran with some stuff and aired some images, soundbites, and what not.

I don;t know if anyone else cares, but myself, I think it was the wrong thing to do.

It basically gave the nut job what he wanted while stomping on the very raw, and unimaginably fresh, emotions of all those affected by this.

I think their airing anything other than "we got a package and we gave it to the FBI" is stepping over a very defined line of human decency.

what about you cats?
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Ron Burgundy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:08 pm

i wanted to see it.
I'm Ron Burgundy, go f#ck yourself San Diego
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Postby XBlueSilverX » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:16 pm

personally, I disagree.
I like to have a walking, talking someone to look at and hate rather than a couple stupid photos. His rant helped answer maybe a couple of the"why oh why" questions that the victims relatives may have had about this guy. Its hard to grasp how someone can be so crazy when we try so hard to cover up what crazy is in this country. I consider it a psychological education for the american public..

Do we really need the censorship?
The problem with real life? There's no danger music..
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby tail first drop » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:33 pm

He is dead so I doubt he noticed the attention.
Look for the next mass killer to have a page up on myspace for weeks before letting loose.
Fascinating.
tail first drop

Postby stinkbug » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:07 pm

There's a heart-felt debate on this topic on the Virginia tech message boards.

By airing this, are they giving him the platform that he "purchased" with the lives of 32 innocents?

The consensus on the VT boards: Airing his manifesto was wrong. It was a totally cynical ratings-grab by NBC.

I disagree. (not about the cynical ratings-grab part; it was all that and more...)

We need to confront the face of evil when we see it. We need to understand what it looks like, what it smells like.

We want to know, we need to understand. Airing his punk-@ss bullsh1t helps that.

Y'all have no idea what a blow this is to the heart of the community. ESPN's Cris Fowler hits it pretty good in this short column:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/ ... id=2842707

Look in his eyes. Look at his face. Listen to his bullsh1t.

'Cause the next time you see it, the next time you feel it....
you're gonna need to step up.
stinkbug
shorepounder

Postby Ceedog » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:39 am

It's all about ratings. I think they could care less about the impact. I agree with some who say we shouldn't have hiden this. Although I am all for respecting the victims and their families.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby oginao » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:57 pm

NBC became PART of the news when this nutjob took time out of his day of insanity to mail them a care package. If they hadn't shown this stuff, we would have known about their possession of it and flipped out as a collective public and you all know it! they did what they had to do and they did it well considering the position they were put in.
oginao
Mermaided

Postby Fish » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:58 pm

And they made sure of their logo in big bold print being on every single photo and frame of film as well.
Fish
boogie boarders run ME over!

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)