Change font size   Print view

Hmmm? It makes you think. Doesn't it.

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

The same or Different

Poll ended at Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:20 am

Same
40%
Similar
20%
Different
40%

Total votes : 5

Postby pickled » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:44 am

i aint being no pu$$y smithg, so fuk you first off, what is so great about a bunch of yuppie-azz poser surfers blabbing anyways???. i think everyone on this board in their right mind would want unlimited beach access to all, no matter the location. i guess you have to grow up in a real surfing culture to understand that though...
if can, can. if no can...den neva mine.
pickled
Mermaided

Postby 47 Degrees » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:30 am

it is racist, and im offended. Historical justifications are just that... justifications. Are you people so blinded by your own political correctness to not be able to see a racist policy when you see it?
It is not just a sign of private property rights. It clearly divides those who may enter and those who may not along racial lines.
47 Degrees

Postby 47 Degrees » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:34 am

erzats wrote:Have you tried asking around for permission to access Quinalt land? you might get lucky. You might meet some cool people.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA you are obviously from oregon. You WILL meet some downright cool people. You WILL NOT get access to the land for the purpose of surfing. The doors to the PG waterpark are CLOSED.
47 Degrees

Postby erzats » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:36 am

sucks to be you. I'll have to change my screen name to 44.9°, white trash, and free to go wherever I want.

When crossing into an Indian reservation, you are crossing into a sovereign nation with it's own laws. It's only racist in that you are granted the rights of that place if you were born there. If you were born there you probably are Quinault. I doubt there is a law on the books saying that if you are white you can't enter this land as was the case in South Africa under apartheid. Think of it as crossing national borders where the nation you are entering can deny you access for any number of reasons. That's not racist, it's just the interaction of national law.
erzats
core!

Postby erzats » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:48 am

Beach Hiking on the Reservation - To go on any of the beaches of the reservation, you must obtain a day pass. To obtain the beach pass stop by the main Tribal Administrative building in Taholah during the weekdays. For more information call: 360-276-8215 ext:208 or 309
erzats
core!

Postby erzats » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:49 am

Quinault Indian Nation wrote:Beach Hiking on the Reservation - To go on any of the beaches of the reservation, you must obtain a day pass. To obtain the beach pass stop by the main Tribal Administrative building in Taholah during the weekdays. For more information call: 360-276-8215 ext:208 or 309
erzats
core!

Postby Ding Delamerton » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:01 pm

Not sure why this topic keeps comming up....Whitey isn't welcome so get over it.
Ride 'em all....Let God figure it out
Ding Delamerton
I wax the bottom of my board

Postby Doc » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:08 pm

This topic has been done before...I think by 47 degrees...so since he's chimed in so will I...

The Quinault (along with several other coastal tribes) are the original inhabitants of that stretch of coastline and these tribes were "rich", meaning that they had sufficient food and necessities so that they could produce a rich cultuaral tradition...

Upon introduction to Europeans and later Americans...their culture suffered similar devastation that native cultures suffer on nearly every continent...

If this wasn't enough, they were herded together with the other tribes and crammed onto reservations as a whole...I don't know the specifics but they were forced to cede vast territories to the US Govt. prior to the Civil War...officially somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000,000 acres...and understand, this was for the right to be recognized as a rez...the rez today is about 200,000 acres plus, much of it land purchased adjacent to the rez by the tribes...yes, private property.

The rez was managed by the Bureau of Indian Affairs which historically is a corrupt agency and was not interested in the Quinault's well-being, but with lining their own pockets through timber sales and handing down rulings and land reassignments that benefitted the US Govt. primarily...same old story.

The rez was clearcut and it's lumber sold off in huge swaths with little of the profit going to the tribes...and added benefit was the decine of habitat for salmon and other wildlife on the rez...the BIA realloted the lands to individual tribe members to make them into farmers...in a land unsuited to farming...the result was that many of the inhabitants left the rez in order to survive, you know...earn a living.

I guess the F*#k You comments bandied about regarding this is appropriate considering that the Govt has been F@#king the native peoples hard for well over a 100 years now...I guess I just don't understand the logic that surfers (or anyone else) is somehow entitled to access the beach on what is in essence a sovereign nation...a country within a country...

47 says it's a racist policy...and certainly there is racism in much of it...I think their distrust of caucasians in general and active protection of their territory is the result of the racism they've experienced over time...a racism that was backed up with officially sanctioned guns, disease and outright theft of their wealth...their racism lacks this power...a surfer might get an @ss-kicking if he broke their rules and then the @ss kickers probably would be incarcerated for a few years...pure speculation, who cares?

There is a continued effort to undermine Oregon's beach access policy that goes on continually...stay focused on what's going on with that...that's funded by wealthy land owners that would love to keep scruffy surfers off the beach in front of their mansion...not a disenfranchised people trying to protect what's rightfully theirs...

Just my opinion.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby 47 Degrees » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:00 pm

erzats wrote:
Quinault Indian Nation wrote:Beach Hiking on the Reservation - To go on any of the beaches of the reservation, you must obtain a day pass. To obtain the beach pass stop by the main Tribal Administrative building in Taholah during the weekdays. For more information call: 360-276-8215 ext:208 or 309

Awesome! You should plan a surf trip to the rez! You have figured it out! congratulations!
47 Degrees

Postby pickleweed » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:12 pm

47 Degrees wrote:Awesome! You should plan a surf trip to the rez! You have figured it out! congratulations!

Even with a pass, you still can't surf there. The pass says NO SURFING on it.
pickleweed

Postby nasty » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:16 pm

This is an awesome thread!! In the future we should keep all topics to places we can't surf, racism, as well as anything else that is negative and divides us into waring camps.
nasty

Postby Betty » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Have you people ever been to Tahola? Oh, no? Well....you can surf there to. Just thought Id let you know that the quin are not the only nation with private beach access. FKing injuns.
The service here sucks.
Betty
coffee WAS my drug of choice

Postby HessXXpress » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:21 pm

i bet general custard is rolling in his grave.. if he were here wed have a hilton right on the burial ground.
" and YOU can count on ME waiting for YOU in the parking lot!"
HessXXpress
duck diving fool

Postby pickleweed » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:52 pm

Erzats wrote: "I doubt there is a law on the books saying that if you are white you can't enter this land as was the case in South Africa under apartheid."

Then Erzats wrote:

"Think of it as crossing national borders where the nation you are entering can deny you access for any number of reasons. That's not racist, it's just the interaction of national law.[/quote]"

Pickleweed thinks to himself :shock: whaaa??????
pickleweed

Postby erzats » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:04 pm

I don't see a problem with what I said. There's no racist law on the books i.e. nothing that states "no white folk allowed". But, national laws can restrict anyone who is not a citizen from almost anything save for some international conventions. They have the right to restrict anyone who is not a part of their nation from access to any part of their nation. It just so happens that most of the people who are members of the quinault nation are native american, so it's easy (but incorrect) to call it a racist issue.

I'm done with this thread. PM me if you have more issues.
erzats
core!

Previous

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)