Change font size   Print view

Animals vs. Humans

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Animals or humans

Animals?
50%
Humans?
50%

Total votes : 12

Animals vs. Humans

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:33 pm

It seems to me that there is a lot of outcry and activity in the saving of the animals on this planet.

So much so that it makes me wonder exactly how much people care about ...well..people.

On this website alone there are numerous arguments and lovefests concerning the slaughter of dolphins in Japan, or the rights of animals in a omniverous world, and even some propegating the adoption of unwanted animals. The list goes on and on.

Meanwhile:

Texas: A 2 year old girl is tortured to death by her mother and her boyfriend, stuffed into a plastic storage bin and dumped in the water.

Oregon/Washington: In an average month, 72,000 children in Oregon and southwest Washington eat meals from an emergency food box.

Nationwide: In 2004, 1,409 children were killed as a result of neglect and abuse.

Portland Oregon: In 2003 there were 27 murders and 310 rapes.

Nationwide: Each year nearly 50 new born infants are abandoned, most in trash containers or other such lovely places.

Portland Oregon: Each year 1500 - 2000 minors live in the streets.

Boise ID: Convicted sex offender Joseph Edward Duncan III, who beat a northern Idaho mother, her fiance and oldest son to death in 2005 before abducting her two youngest children, pleaded guilty to 10 federal counts Monday in the kidnapping and lengthy sexual abuse of the children and the murder of one of them.

Clackamas Oregon: On June 1st 2007 a wonderful mother leaves her three children (14 months, 3 years, and 6 years old) in a car while she shops. The temperature reaches well over 120 degrees.

And this barly scratches the surface.

So...how many dolphins did you save?
Last edited by Wilbur Kookmeyer on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Re: Animals vs. Humans

Postby nasty » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:16 pm

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:Portland Oregon: In 2003 there were 27 murders

Do you have an alibi for 2003?
nasty

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:44 pm

From a resource point of view, the less animals there are and the more humans there are, the more turbulent the world is. The in-fighting will get worse as competition increases and the stuff you just listed will seem like nothing pretty soon. If one animal like dolphins dissapear then so will ten others like salmon and crabs. Then that industry will be devastated and those workers are going to be pissed off at the world. They'll resort to drugs and beat their children. Save the dophins, and children will be saved.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby speelyei » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:11 pm

I know. It's terrible.
I dont think peoples compassion for animals eclipses their compassion for people. Our huge society is so complex, so contrived, so overwhelming...
it's futile to try and make sense of it when everything you come in contact with defies reason.
If I speak out against a dolphin round up in Japan or a canned hunt in texas, it doesnt mean that I dont care about abused children.
Because of the shocking emotional charge that events involving children carry, I think people tend to shy away from it...
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby nasty » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:28 pm

nasty

Re: Animals vs. Humans

Postby FP » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:57 pm

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:
And this barly scratches the surface.

you are right it does barely scratch the surface. but its all part of the same problem. perhaps, our species is f*cked b/c of its disconnect from nature. there is a lot of good writing out there that equates abuse of the environment with abuse of each other.
FP
I think surfers are hot

Postby riverjetty » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:59 pm

I hate the seething mass called humanity. I know Jesus calls on us to love our neighbor, but I can't. I like some individuals, especially if they basically leave me alone. Most humans can get sucked into a black hole and I wouldn't feel a thing. I thought 9-11 was just good television.

Maybe I'm socipathic. Maybe I need valium. Any doctors want to float me a scrip?
riverjetty
i've put my fin in backwards

Postby Gazsurf » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:51 pm

riverjetty wrote:I thought 9-11 was just good television.

That ain't right......
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby huck » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:24 pm

Wilb, I'm interested. From what I;ve seen from your other post I would never expect you to jump in the humanist camp. Not that one can't be some type of humanist and still care about enviro/animal world. Although, I don't think you were trying to draw that line as such, but rather, maybe, wondering about priorities. Still, humanism has always been the bedrock of "liberals" more or less, and your post tend have more of a radical individualism tone with a semi-green bend.

Sorry for throwing around a bunch of labels. Just curious about what looks like an incongruous post.
huck
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby escondido_vida » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:48 pm

maybe we should all take a vote
escondido_vida
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Doc » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:45 pm

Does the interest in the protection and preservation of animals necessarily preclude interest of the same in humans?

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby FP » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:42 pm

Doc wrote:Does the interest in the protection and preservation of animals necessarily preclude interest of the same in humans?

Doc

i think that's what everyone has been arguing. of course it doesn't.

first and foremost we need a healthy landbase (planet) or this will all be meaningless. the same culture that encourages animal abuse and unsustainable 'management' of the environment encourages us to treat each other like sh*t as well.
FP
I think surfers are hot

Postby erzats » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 am

I'd say f@#K 'em both. Humans, animals... is there a difference?
erzats
core!

Postby redalert » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:02 pm

erzats wrote: Humans, animals... is there a difference?

To get all esoteric here, remember:
humans are animals.

ESO what?
redalert
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby pra_ggresion » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:22 pm

ESO mama mofo.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Next

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners