Change font size   Print view

How rich is rich?

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

How rich is rich for a familly of 4?

Annual gross income of $100K and above?
38%
$200K and above?
31%
$500K and above?
31%

Total votes : 16

Postby montana » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:00 am

Nobody asked, I know, but 'acknowledge..., adjust... and avoid...' is a prescription for perpetuating the situation. Apathy is a pretty strong human tendency, but it doesn't have to determine the future in a country where we can speak out, vote and actively pursue alternatives. There are people out there actually working at improving things. Their success depends in large part on you and me. What is it, exactly, that you think is more important?
montana

Postby clint jones » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:03 am

As a Journeyman wage earner with Union representation and working my freakin @ss off in a skilled tade, the best I could ever crack was 42k

I truely hope for the best for you and your family. Tradesmen are the backbone of the nation and don't get enough credit.

Only poor people hate the millionare. That's what MFM's quote was all about. Rhetoric? Bumpersticker? Call it whatever you want. MFM may be a douchebag, but he's good at self promotion, making money, rippin up mountains, nailin hot chicks, and having fun. Good for him.

Everybody makes it sound like the rich people have everything given to them. Sure, some get an inheritence, but the vast majority work their a$$ off. Over the years I've worked as property manager for many ultra rich people (worth 100 million-3.2 billion). They all went to tons of school, went deep into debt, then worked 80 hours a week if that's what it took. And the wives worked in the beginning, too. Only one of them inherited anything but he worked hard in the family cable biz. Then he took a massive risk and sunk all of his and his brothers money into a thing called cell phones in the early 80's. His entire family would be broke if that hadn't pay off.

I think most rich people I've worked for are really cool. I learn as much as possible because my goal isn't to sit at a desk till I'm 65 then collect Social Security till I die. My goal is to have fun, live an adventurous life, and retire early to spend time with my family. As one of them once told me, "it's better to work smart than work hard". Plus rich people pay better than 42K a year.
clint jones
surfing improved my love life

Postby montana » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:41 pm

Yeah, sorry Speel, but we never told you to become a TradesMan. You could have been something useful like a mortgage broker or a short trader and you'd be rolling in it, right? Don't complain tho', there's plenty of TradesHombres who would love your job.

Clint makes some valid observations, but it's a complicated issue. His arguments mesh nicely with the top-down approach of Voodoo Reagonomics. For those too young to remember, Reagan ushered in an era of deregulation (including financial markets) and cut off Fed support for alternative energy research and implementation, squelched automotive fuel efficiency standards, etc. He even removed the solar panels from the White House!

There's many more necessary, admirable, honorable, desirable ways to earn a living than there are ways to get filthy rich. If we don't find a way to compensate them (teachers, for example) in a sustainable way, then we deserve what we get.
montana

Postby bluesilver » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:29 pm

I'm a rich man. But I have no money.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby montana » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:37 pm

There's room at the top, they are telling you still,
but first you must learn how to smile as you kill,
if you want to be like the folks on the hill.

John Lennon*

*Shot dead, like John Kennedy, Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy.
Coincidence, right?
montana

Postby bluesilver » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:17 pm

conspiracy.

I'm no hero, but I am working class.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby speelyei » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:47 pm

We're all responsible for the decisions we've made, and I am no different. The reason I post so nakedly is because that's my reality. I am not ashamed. I have made some good decisions and some bad... and I can live with that.

We are definitely getting smarter, though. Financially, we're in our sophomore or Junior year at the school of hard knocks. The changes we're making are irrelevant, they'd be different for every household. I'm a product of my actions.

I have always prided myself on producing something tangible, however.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby redliner » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:15 pm

Live in the hills, grow pot, sell everything you own, and move to an island in the mid-....wait!,no- don't do that!

..what a horrible idea.
It always gets good after everyone leaves.
redliner
neoprene queen

Postby Moe » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Hey pickleweed, take it easy on PE teachers... I would hope that most do more than hand out pickleball racquets. Obesity is a huge problem for our country and the lack of physical education is not helping. It's not the same as it was when any of us went through school. Just setting you straight :D
Moe
I've got Daddy issues

Postby Ceedog » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:03 pm

Reality will be setting in soon for most folks... If you pay attention you will see how all this phony credit created by the FED will end up swallowing millions of properties under the guise of foreclosure. They own nothing, create nothing, but somehow ultimately will hold the tilte to your house. Some smart fruggers. It is about control, and the system is rigged but not in our favor.

Hi i'm Clint, an unemployed electronics worker. I would have been considered rich a year ago, now I'm just one more number on the jobless list. See ya'll in the bread line....
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby montana » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:00 pm

Last week the congressional committee chaired by Kucinich called in several of Wall Street's most successful hedge fund managers. What does a hedge fund manager do, and what role, if any, did they play in the current mess?

I don't know the answer, but according to reliable reports each of them earns over 1 billion US$ per year.
montana

Postby WC » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:20 pm

and they pay 15% of it in taxes which is a paltry little load of horseshit

IMHO

in england they would pay 75%
in france 50%

gee, i wonder why we have no healthcare ETC for all
WC
duck diving fool

Postby Fish » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:33 pm

Wilbur you are such a dick!
Fish
boogie boarders run ME over!

Previous

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)