Change font size   Print view

alaia building and shaping

Post here for advice/suggestions/comments on board building and surfboard design. The worse things went the better. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, holddown

Postby fossilgrom » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:55 am

free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Postby estimated eyes » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:21 pm

damn, fg, those look sweet. get yourself a logo and put em in some surfshops.
Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation. - David St. Hubbins
estimated eyes
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby Deca » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:45 pm

Nice looking boards! I posted awhile ago in the regular forum, but I've made 10 over the last year and a half. I'm glad someone else has found out how fun these things can be. Thread is below...

http://www.oregonsurf.com/phpBB2/viewto ... ight=alaia
Deca
Plover Murderer

Postby Deca » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:57 pm

andyjade wrote:So, what's your favorite size for prone? And for using swim fins?

You can ride whatever size you want prone, but if it is steep and barreling, I wouldn't go longer than 5'6". I have rode my 6' and up to 7'6 prone on small mush days and it can be fun to trim with lots of speed on some tiny waves that aren't real thrilling to surf. My prone models are 4'4 to 5'6, easy to duck dive in any waves and fast down the line. The longer you go, the back end can tend to wash out more in the barrel as you get closer to the foam ball. I rode some pretty sweet breaks in Maui on a nice south swell and again on Oahu at Sandy's. Both spots were littered with boogie boards, but I could sit farther out and pick whatever set I wanted....it really is like having a longboard advantage in those kind of lineups. I also shared a peak with about 10 paddle boards one day and didn't sit any further inside. Once you get it planing, it will ride a ripple...see pic below for proof! I am already up on the board and planing(no I'm not kicking, just picking the feet up to create less drag). This is a wave that started in deep water and broke over a VERY shallow urchin/coral reef. I was setting up nice and early and didn't have to make any last second adjustments, just head down the line and picked off some nice little barrels.

Same wave a little further along, with the offshore winds starting to work nicely. This board is a 5'8" x 15.25" x 1/2" Port Orford cedar. VERY thinned about and concave in the lower half. I designed this board specifically for this wave and kept the rails more parellel than some of my others. I had complete control on the steep faces and could release or hold the rail easily. I also added a "chest" channel to this one, which makes it a lot more manageable to paddle(I HATE kicking out to the lineup!), and all my new stand up models will be getting that same channel. I'll have to re-create this one, because I left it with a good friend on the islands.
Deca
Plover Murderer

Postby fossilgrom » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Very cool - can you supply some dims and pictures of the chest channel. I too hate kicking back to the lineup. Without the float the boards tend to go away under you when you paddle with your arms - I was thinking about glueing some velcro to my board and suit to keep the board stuck to my chest while paddling.
fossilgrom

Postby andyjade » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:03 pm

Nice, Deca. Thanks for the info. Sort of starting to think about going to Home Depot.
andyjade
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Deca » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:28 pm

andyjade wrote:Nice, Deca. Thanks for the info. Sort of starting to think about going to Home Depot.

Quit thinking and do it! I'm don't have a woodworking/craftsmen background, but taking my time and shaping a few definitely boosted my confidence.

I print out my outlines using the FREE AKU shaper(download it online and print out and tape paper together).
Deca
Plover Murderer

Postby Deca » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:33 pm

fossilgrom wrote:Very cool - can you supply some dims and pictures of the chest channel.

I don't have any pics...left the board in Maui. I originally got the idea when I flipped one of my boards over and had the concave on my chest, the board tracked straight forward and the nose wasn't trying to push one way or the other. You dont' need a whole lot of depth, maybe 1/4"? I believe I went about 13" long and maybe 6-7" wide. I'm looking to order some Paulownia and can't wait to put it on my stand-up boards.
Deca
Plover Murderer

Postby andyjade » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:29 am

Yeah, well, I may just dive in and give it a try. I haven't built much more than planter boxes and a shoddy backyard gate, but I think I can make something that will at least plow me into the sand. I've been wanting to build a kit-based prone paddleboard, so this may be a good intro in that I'll see if I have the patience required....
andyjade
Ten barrel mullet

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:23 pm

Has anyone here tried making these with veneers and a mold the way they make skate boards? seems like it would allow much more control for desired concaves and what not. You could use the same epoxy or fiberglass of surfboards for the glue. Screw it; I'll just go surf my skate, trucks and all.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby andyjade » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:06 am

interesting notion, pra. is there some sort of press that would be required, though? but a laminated style would be kinda cool to see.
andyjade
Ten barrel mullet

Postby fossilgrom » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:24 am

I have thought about trying it. I wonder if there is a source for cedar veneer - maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch. It would be nice to be able to put some entry rocker in the boards.
fossilgrom

Postby Deca » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:59 am

I don't know how well the veneers would work. The concaves and roll are significantly different than that of a longboard skateboard. Sure you could make it work, but I think it would actually be harder, especially if you only want a concave in 1/2 of the bottom.

The other thing is the flatness of the board(especially in the nose) is what allows you to catch the wave. A good alaia actually flexes and allows you to reverses the rocker. We've all had those waves on a regular board where your just about in, but you just can't get that final push to start the board sliding down the face. By pushing down on the nose with the flex in the board, it allows you into the wave. It really caught me by suprise the first few times, because I didn't think there was any way I was getting in. Putting rocker in the nose not only stops this from happening, but it takes away some of the speed that comes with a completely flat board.
Deca
Plover Murderer

Postby pra_ggresion » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:41 pm

The skateboards I tried to make out of oak veneers in highschool didn't turn out very well so you probably don't want my advice in mold making. I can make a decent mold for pizza occasionally.

If you make your own mold, then you can choose any concave or rocker you desire.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Deca » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Even simpler yet, make them out of a sheet of marine grade ply...may not last as long, but an easy way to experiment with shapes and shaping. Trust me, this isn't as complicated as shaping a foam board, and you'd have to screw up pretty bad for it not to work modestly. I'm out riding waves with an 18" x 8" x .30 on the palm of my hand, and I can make sections not knowing a lot about body surfing.
Deca
Plover Murderer

PreviousNext

Return to Hobby Talk & Garage Mishaps