Change font size   Print view

Torn Miniscus?

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Torn Miniscus?

Postby Trula » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:46 am

So my stupid knee has been feeling like it just needs to pop for a couple of days not really painful just annoying. Don't know if I racked it at work or what since I have been trying to unpack and been moving boxes at home I don't know who to blame. Blame it on work and they pay but not worth the paperwork since I am not sure where I did it.

Going to get an appointment with the Osteopathic Doctor and get it checked out since I am insured. The thing is I can walk and climb stairs and all that it just does not fully straighten which is annoying and it is uncomfortable.

Do I just ride it out and see if it takes care of itself or actually go to a doctor for the first time in almost 2 years?
Portland - Where young people go to retire.
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby Tyedog » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:05 am

Egoscue® is simple and the results are remarkable. It is a unique and very effective program designed to treat musculoskeletal pain without drugs, surgery, or manipulation.

Egoscue is a process which involves a series of stretches and gentle egoscuecises ("e-cises") designed specifically for each client. This process strengthens specific muscles and brings the body back to its proper alignment and functioning the way it was designed—pain free. http://www.egoscue.com/
Tyedog

Postby bluesilver » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:46 am

Tyedog wrote:Egoscue® is simple and the results are remarkable. It is a unique and very effective program designed to treat musculoskeletal pain without drugs, surgery, or manipulation.

Egoscue is a process which involves a series of stretches and gentle egoscuecises ("e-cises") designed specifically for each client. This process strengthens specific muscles and brings the body back to its proper alignment and functioning the way it was designed—pain free. http://www.egoscue.com/

This sounds like something the Scientologists would say. Right after telling you that your ailment was all in your head.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby holddown » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:54 am

Trula,

If you had a torn meniscus, you would probably know it. I'm no doctor, but a torn meniscus is usually caused by a knee injury involving dislocation.

What you're experiencing is simply early signs of aging. Did you just have a birthday? I find that I fall apart a little more immediately following a birthday.

-HD
holddown
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby Dub Star » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:35 am

Well not exactly true HD. I had a torn meniscus for prob. 6 months before I did anything about it. I could pretty much do anything I wanted, it was just when I twisted it that right way that I would feel pain. I even took a 4 day surf trip before I had the surgery, which I recovered from in about 2 weeks.

But Tula one of the reasons it was a fairly routine deal for me was because I didn’t wait too long. What you describing sounds to me like the cartilage is balling up into you joint, which is not good. I had a buddy who waited, his knee would lock up, and he was out of commission from any surf or snow for almost a year. Get it looked at!
Dub Star

Postby holddown » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:03 am

All kidding aside, dub's right. Have it checked. None of us clowns will diagnose this correctly and you risk further damage by ignoring it.
holddown
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby bluesilver » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:00 pm

my left knee has always been the evil one of the two. It moves around more than it should and sometimes causes dull pain from the grinding. It even hurts for a day and a half before a storm comes in or a new front... how's that for being old and i'm only 28...
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Ding Delamerton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:45 pm

Take two enima's and (wink) call me in the morning.
Ride 'em all....Let God figure it out
Ding Delamerton
I wax the bottom of my board

Postby Tyedog » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:23 pm

bluesilver wrote:my left knee has always been the evil one of the two. It moves around more than it should and sometimes causes dull pain from the grinding. It even hurts for a day and a half before a storm comes in or a new front... how's that for being old and i'm only 28...

Drunken stumbling is very hard on the knees. I'd guess you've been at it for about 10 to 12 years?? More than enough time to wear the sides off your end caps. You would have been better of just staying down on the floor by the fridge and peeing on your self more often. Twelve trips to the fridge and 22 trips to the bathroom is alot of stumbling, even when you live in a trailer, you were getting about 200 miles worth of wear every night. And all the time you spend on your knees when your trying to get to your feet on a two foot wave is hard on them too. just sayin.
Tyedog

Postby Mitch Effing Buchanan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:27 pm

Works for me, I eat off the f*cking floor and the sticks are good as ever.
Mitch Effing Buchanan
Plover Murderer

Postby bluesilver » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:15 am

Tyedog wrote:
bluesilver wrote:my left knee has always been the evil one of the two. It moves around more than it should and sometimes causes dull pain from the grinding. It even hurts for a day and a half before a storm comes in or a new front... how's that for being old and i'm only 28...

Drunken stumbling is very hard on the knees. I'd guess you've been at it for about 10 to 12 years?? More than enough time to wear the sides off your end caps. You would have been better of just staying down on the floor by the fridge and peeing on your self more often. Twelve trips to the fridge and 22 trips to the bathroom is alot of stumbling, even when you live in a trailer, you were getting about 200 miles worth of wear every night. And all the time you spend on your knees when your trying to get to your feet on a two foot wave is hard on them too. just sayin.

It's like magic or poetry, how you form sentences and convey thought.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Trula » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:44 pm

I actually gave in and want to the doctor yesterday. After a set of x-rays and a lot of waiting she says I just have Runner's Lnee (Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome) and prescribed me 12 sessions of physical therapy. It is supposed to rebuild and correct the muscles around my knee cap and I should be as good as new. In the mean time I get to ice it and take Advil. I have an appointment for Monday with a physical therapist. Surprisingly there is a decent one close to work so I can duck out for a couple of hours mid-day. Hoping I can get him to tape my knee up also since it is supposed to help a little with the pain. From what I have seen online I should be up to full speed in 6 weeks. The snowpack has been good up here and I was looking forward to snowboarding soon but it will have to wait till January. Doctor says to go back in in 3 weeks and sooner if it is not improving.
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby Tyedog » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:51 am

Its 9 frikin dollars, what have you got to lose.

The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion: Revolutionary Program That Lets You Rediscover the Body's Power to Rejuvenate It (Paperback)
~ Pete Egoscue
Pete Egoscue (Author)
› Visit Amazon's Pete Egoscue Page
Key Phrases: air bench, supine groin, dysfunctional hip, The Games We Play, Our Elders, Quiet Desperation (more...)
4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (57 customer reviews)
57 Reviews
5 star:
(46)
4 star:
(7)
3 star:
(1)
2 star:
(2)
1 star:
(1)

› See all 57 customer reviews...
List Price: $13.00
Price: $9.36 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $3.64 (28%)
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Tyedog

Postby Trula » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:11 pm

Less than my $15 insurance deductible. Though one of my coworkers pointed out today that I should file a workmans comp claim on it since it I had never had this problem before working in Cargo. Not sure if it is worth the paperwork though. It actually is probably related to work and I guess I will have to talk to my physical therapist and see if it is likely.

Frozen peas are the best ice pack ever not the small wimpy bags but the 2 pound bag. Gonna have to just toss this bag when I am through with it though since it get thawed and refrozen so much. Icing seems to really help coupled with Advil at least. I do have high hopes that the theraypy will get me perfectly toned legs since that is what they are supposedly working on. I will see after Monday.
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)