Change font size   Print view

Boards for 2019

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Boards for 2019

Postby Spent » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:59 am

I wasn't going to buy a board this year but my wife found out Murdey is closing shop and told me, "You better order one last board from Dan." Who was I to object?

Anyway, its a little early but I just placed an order for a total summer high-tide, on shore, slop groveler. Basically the last board I'd pull out before asking the boys if I can borrow one of their logs.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Re: Boards for 2019

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:42 pm

He's not done shaping....... or at least doubt he is. Sounds like he lost his glass shop. There's another guy in the Couve now. Not suprised thou. Portland is a hard place to be a shaper aside from the obvious reason it's 2 hours from any waves. Tech and corpo developers will continue to buy up all the commercial real estate anywhere within the city in the next decade untill it's a bonifide mini Seattle. Maybe he will reset and start somewhere else? If there is going to be a rush for Murdey boards note there are a bunch on CL right now a few unridden for whatever reasons.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
I post better than I surf

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Murdey priced out, but Cosube lives on... that pretty much says it all about Portland, Oregon these days.

I'd like a solid board for summer waves. Might demo a few Shulers to get a better feel for what I want. Been thinking maybe a Wookie or Seed. Log isn’t out of the question either. Gotta save and do some soul searching first tho.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:20 pm

Glassing is the issue. He's still going to do some small batches here and there and see how it goes with having someone else glass. But I get the sense, he's looking forward to a break.

I believe Dan is taking his last orders this week, so get on it if you're so inclined.
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:00 am

All set. Just cleaned up my trusty 6' double winged swallow step dwon SB. Other than a few little small holes to fill, board is still good to go. One of those boards I'll never get rid of and may eventually have Rowley or Al try to copy.

I do have a bunch of stuff for sale thou. A CI 6'6".step up, an AM2 2 tab (FCS) 5 fin set, brand new 6'3" DaKiNE shuttle bag tags stil on it, and a futon frame if anyone is interested. All will be posted on CL this week. Borad is up there now......
Major Lazer

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:10 pm

Spent wrote:Anyway, its a little early but I just placed an order for a total summer high-tide, on shore, slop groveler. Basically the last board I'd pull out before asking the boys if I can borrow one of their logs.

Kinda curious about this groveler to end all grovelers-- is this based off one of Dan's templates or something you two collaborated on?
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:52 pm

Inspired by a 5'8" Lost Bean Bag I rode on a some weak high tide sessions in Mex.
Pretty much double ender like his 'Skipper Stone' but shorter than most, very wide and thick. High volume. Low rocker, flat deck.

Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:17 am

Hard to beat Mayhams "domesticated" designs. Current 2019 models looks redic esp the Retro and Rad Ripper and PJHP RT. Been wanting a round tail small to medium wave rippa esp after riding a round pin for most of my seshies last 4 months. Love.the hold and flow through wrapping and hook turns. May have to cook something up with Lost... and Javier at XTR. Need to get another EPS board in jah quiv.
Major Lazer

Postby Spent » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:55 am

Yeah, I've been eyeing those Retro/ Rad rippers. Great concept/ Right up my alley. Love a round tail also. Swallows and rounds but something about the way rounds link through turns is very addictive when you get it right.

If fork out $s to order boards from big name Cali shapers it will prob be a Stretch again, hard to beat the weight to durability ratio of those glass jobs. At some point I think I'll get a round tail Stretch 2x4 for 'good' waves. Otherwise, I'll stick with a couple of local shapers, namely Murdey or Rowley.

Ordered a slightly lighter glass job on this board. Hope it pays off.
Last edited by Spent on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Yeah was thinking maybe Gbuzz or Pug...... still XTR is about 100 bones cheaper and heard really good things about durability and flex. I can tweak any stock file to my likings as well.
Major Lazer

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:40 pm

That's a good take on the skipper stone, Spent-- seems like that model would excel as a sub 6, especially in the conditions you described. Your wife really came through on the advice; way better than the coin I flipped that came up "lifelong regrets". Holding out hope for a Murdey deck somewhere down the line, but whatever his next chapter is, I wish him nothing but success. Maybe he'll get into the skate industry next?

Regarding step downs, are there any specific attributes folks might recommend that hit that sweet spot between wave hog and maneuverability? Ideally, I'd like to custom a short board for summer fluff that aims to improve small wave riding so that I can eventually utilize those skills on bigger waves. Maybe I'm just overthinking it and should just get a fish and enjoy the mush, but it'd be cool to have a common thread between seasonal boards, so I can somewhat keep in form throughout the year. Thoughts? Those losts look pretty sweet, but I generally prefer to order locally.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 pm

All depends. Way I see it is step down SBs are pretty much every day SBs round here year round sans last few months. Seems like Spent is looking for the ultimate grovler for the weakest rolly piss. Once it gets that small I just LB go straight or more often don't make drive.

That said there are a ton of "high performance" grovlers out there that work well even when it gets good here. Boards I have had Lost OG RNF, Shuler Quad Fish, JS Nitro, Stretch Supper Buzz, Lost.... X Lib Puddle Jumper, personally shaped quad fish based off of Pavel Rainbow fish template I took off of a friends board and a few "chunk" swallow tail SB's shaped by Ward Coffee (SC). Best out of those were JS Nitro and PJ. Both of those boards caught waves and turned well in tight little pockets, but self shapped quad fish still fills that niche for obvious reasons. Can't get rid of a board I shaped that works.

Otherwise good volume chill rocker single to v out the tail with a little flip but not a ton cause I am rear footed and surf mostly off tail maybe quad fin set up. Also been staying off short stuby boards and keepimg length close to my to SB. Those boards are super fun but can F with my foot placement. Don't surf nearly enough to blow a typical good one tide 2 hour window shesh of shredable waves trying to adjust....... just my take thou.
Major Lazer

Postby Spent » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Yeah my super buzz is an insane small wave board but still likes a little shape to really do its thing. It makes a two foot wave feel like a shortboard able 4' wave. This new board is for dog shite, weak waves for sure... And for a bit more paddle power than the super buzz. I surfed a bean bag in super weak high tide waves in Mex and it was an eye opener for sure. Even landed a shitey little air on it bouncing off some wedgy back wash.

As for Murdey getting into Skateboarding... remember MM skateboards? That was him. No money in that Sh*t if you were being serious... (unless you are doing it on a mass produced scale)
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:28 pm

Any session on a mexy right point can be eye opening..... :shock:

Like the looks of this 5'11" 35.4cL CI Hoglet. Tail is pulled in nicely..... and would prob destroy the average thin lipped fluffy lined up day and the sands.

Not suggesting CI, Lost, etc just design examples of any of the good local guys could do.
Major Lazer

Postby McDing » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:18 pm

Cosube lives on huh?
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf