Change font size   Print view

Boards for 2019

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Boards for 2019

Postby Tex » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:08 pm

Somehow....it does, no clue how.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:58 am

McDing wrote:Cosube lives on huh?

Actually CI pic was from your favorite local shop Moment. :D

Not slinging blanks to Cosbue thou?
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:53 pm

Cosube lives on, if you call that living... Leeward has somehow straggled along too, possibly covering op costs by selling various lotions and high end accoutrements. Full disclosure: I once went in there to look at a skipper stone and get a sense of the shape; it was a nice enough boutique, but I don't think I'm their target audience, since surf lifestyle to me means living off sandwiches, sleeping in the back of my ride in butt cold weather, and hoping that I get a few waves out of the deal.

Coastal shops are where it's at, but I like Gorge Performance okay-- they still have OSP swag for sale, which is cute. If I still drank, I'd probably frequent Up North and heck, might even buy surf gear there in a pinch. No qualms at all about supporting Marty's dream.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:59 pm

Back in the day- Ricky Young Surf shop was the only place I got boards and Cleanline Surf Shop in Seaside was the only place I got gear. Then I worked at Manzanita Surf & Sail...only surf shop I ever worked at. I buy wax and rent skimboards for my oldest kid at Cleanline Cannon Beach. I buy all my wetsuits at Gorge.

If I still drank, I would buy you a brew at that shop in NE PDX Howly....we should meet up and get some rootbeers there!
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:13 pm

I'd quaff a root beer with you, Tex, or more likely a kombucha. Hit me up, preferably when the forecast don't look so hot.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Well, for all my questions about grovelers, I went the opposite direction and pulled the trigger on a Shuler 9'3 LB off the cleanline used rack. I've been interested in trying this shape for awhile and think it will click with my size and style, so glad I could find one at a good price. Optimistic it'll suit a wide variety of conditions, be it summer or winter.

But hey, can I get weird for a minute?

Although I've been scoping this board and considering the purchase for a few weeks now, I wasn't planning on buying it today. But something happened the other night though that led me to drop the coin. While I was sleeping in the back of my rig this weekend, I went into an intense state of sleep paralysis-- helicopter sounds, restraints, presences, FEAR. I was in my truck, but outside myself trying to scream myself awake and I called out this name that was totally random; no association to me whatsover and so out of the blue that I remember it distinctly. This craziness went on for however long, but eventually I came out the other side into a lucid dream involving sequences of primordial patterns that evolved into the interior of a mansion. At that point, my mind cleared and willed myself to fly. Did not end up above some earthly terrain though, no man, I saw "Heaven"-- a straight up infinite blue plane criss-crossed in a grid of with white lines and populated by cupids, alive but stone still in various poses, exactly like what you'd see in a Renaissance painting. In the center of the planes was a fountain with an absolutely tranquil surface. I wish I had taken a closer look to see if it was perhaps a wave pool, but by that point I was quite sure I had died in my sleep. As I wondered this, all the cherubs in unison echo, "Are you dead or sleeping" and then I woke up.

Now, I mentioned lucid dreaming in another post not too long ago, but it's only happened to me a few times, so it floors me when it does. No matter how out of it my surf sessions were this weekend, I was extra stoked, humbled, and inspired-- but still a bit of a hard sell for a new surfboard. I left the shop after talking to the guys for a bit, telling them I'd think it over and call them if I wanted to buy it. As soon as I get to my car, however, my phone rings. It's a work call and I'm talking to this person and in passing they mention a restaurant. I ask what it's called and they tell me it's Stanford's Restaurant and Bar. Stanford was the name I was yelling in my sleep.

So, yeah, I'm into synchronicity and life is too short to not have a log in the quiver. Sorry for the tangent-- just a strange way to buy a board is all.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:49 pm

all the cherubs in unison echo, "Are you dead or sleeping"

I'm pretty sure that's a Modest Mouse song, "Satin in a Coffin". Sounds like heaven to me, but YMMV.

I have a buddy who suffers from sleep paralysis. He told me about it a number of times, but I didn't really understand until he and a couple of other friends passed out at my house one afternoon after doing something exciting I'm sure. Anyway, we all woke up to him on the floor literally flailing around and kicking a laundry basket I had out. We shook him awake and he was completely out of breath and looked like he had seen a ghost. He said that he was conscious that he was asleep but he couldn't breathe and couldn't wake himself up so he started freaking out. We took him seriously after that. He also lucid dreams so maybe it's interrelated? I watched Waking Life and read some stuff to try lucid dreaming myself, but I very rarely remember my dreams and if I do it's like "whoa" so no luck there. I do experience synchronicity from time to time, though. I'm a pretty secular dude, but it always weirds me out when it happens.

Enjoy the new board and literally living the dream, Howly.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:27 pm

BOX wrote: I'm pretty sure that's a Modest Mouse song

True and off a pretty good album now that you mention it.

On another note, Box, I'll probably be parting with my NWSD egg in the near future. 7'6 x 21.75" x 3". Similar shape is on http://northwestsurfdesign.com/boards/ (category "speed e"). Thruster set-up, glassed thick (6/4 x 6), watertight but normal wear and tear. If you're interested in taking it for a test drive, let me know and I'll haul it down to Otter or Agate sometime. No rush, no pressure-- would just rather pass it on to someone who loves surfing and will put it to good use, rather than a craigslist rando.
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:43 am

I would recommend the Art of Dreaming by Carlos Casteneda....great book and when I applied the technique I was able to literally watch my body sleep as I moved throughout my house.

I have had a lot of dreams where I die. They all are centered on airplanes and airports. So...yeah...and I fly mostly for my job.

One time I did have a dream where I was in heaven....it was a very surreal earth scape with the most insane coloring I have ever seen. When I woke up, my mom asked me if I had a nightmare, I said no I think I was in heaven. She reported back to me that I was yelling in some language she had never heard before for half the night.

Cool topic Howly!
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:41 am

Wild times, Tex! I get where you're coming from; the colors especially, as well the awareness of being outside yourself, but moving around the familiar environment. I don't think I've ever soul-walked around the house, but I recall once thinking I was being abducted by aliens when I slowly floated out of my bed. Freaky stuff.

Flying has been my default in the rare lucid dream, but I'm setting the intention right now to surf next time I go clear. Gonna see if I can catch a tube ride on the astral plane :shock:
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:04 pm

Sorry dudes. Had to get this thread back on track, as rad as your trip-outs sound...

Grovel fest. 5'10 x wide x thick. shite tonne of foam all the way through. Airbrush not resin tint. Lighter glass job than I usually get since its so short and wide. Got some rad looking Neil Purchase Jnr Quartet fins to jam in also. Basically full size twins with little trailers.
Last edited by Spent on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Tex » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Did I see that Board at the Sands on Sunday AM?? If not, Orange seems to be a popular color these days. The board looks sick.
Tex

Postby Tex » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Yeah...Howly lets make that N/A beverage meeting happen...super down to hear about the alien experience!
My fav spot right now is Prescott Cafe...lemme know.
Tex

Postby Spent » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:57 pm

Tex wrote:Did I see that Board at the Sands on Sunday AM?? If not, Orange seems to be a popular color these days. The board looks sick.

Thanks. No, it is still unwaxed. I surfed the Cove Sunday... I think...

Prob want get this board wet for little while...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby BOX » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:06 pm

Box, I'll probably be parting with my NWSD egg in the near future

How sharp are the fins? :D

I'm interested in trying it out, Howly. Next time you're down on the central coast shoot me a pm and we'll see if we can make it work.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf