Change font size   Print view

End of Summer

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

End of Summer

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Looking bleakish and kinda weird. 25knt south wind gale and rain in early August? Should keep the water temps warm.

Maybe something around the time the kiddies go back to school? Otherwise stay hydrated and report your longboarding and beer draining sessions here.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: End of Summer

Postby Spent » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:40 am

Was pleasantly surprised by a couple of glassy windows this weekend, especially given the junky short period wind swell. Amazing how it found a little organization during certain times of the day and tide. Friday evening in particular. Too warm for a 4/3 and some nice little frames, totally surfable on a fishy type board. Also a few log sessions but the Major doesn't want to hear about them so I'll keep quiet.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:02 am

No sarcasm intended..... was tryin to solicit more of Docs classic Summer reports. Since when did you start LBing?

Couple New England micro mush seshies on my cus's 10' Pearson Arrow for good measure last few days. Bare backable and a 10 min drive over the bridge to the other island makes it a lot more doable for me. Beer is quite good here these days too even found some tastey sours.

Good to see the boys and girls of summer are are out there doing their thang on Nothern Oregon's exotic coast:

https://imperialmotion.com/blogs/headed-north/episode-4

Have always wanted to boat into Needles for gutless mush. :lol:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:58 am

Ehhh... that video was painful. Luckily I was listening to Dystopia when I tried to watch it or I would have slit my wrists.

Yeah, LBing. My daughters friend's family has a beach house we've been crashing at and it comes complete with a 10' Dewey Webber pop out. I also have some friends with some very nice LBS. My as well keep the paddling muscles active and it gives me something to do... I've been having fun. I think I might get a log for next summer. 10' minimum.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby INTERN » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:13 am

Watching Thomas Campbell movies and Alex Knost made me want a LB. The new school LB style looks so fun. Got a 9"6', and damn is it fun to get into waves early, top turns and walking are work in progress though.

Those Wavestorms or Doyle soft tops are super fun too, so much foam. fun pulling into closeouts and not worrying about damage.
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:51 am

Surfed one of my OG grom spots with my kids yesterday (not Oregon) We were all stocked on the sunshine, water temps, and one of a handful of neoprene free sessions my kids have ever surfed. Consistent little waist-ish plus beachies, but the seaweed was thick! Kinda forgot about the ole seaweed factor. They used to have machines back in the day that cleared it, but have surfed in it many times. Wasn't as bad on the outside and linked some fun one into the inside "red zone". Would of loved to see a cane swell light up the point and outer reef, but was fun for what it was.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:56 pm

FALSE advertising, boating in to Needles, total BS. Funny thing is there are some epic nooks and crannies close to where that boat was heading too!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Headeded a little east today to avoid the seaweed and maybe crowds as well as checking some reefy point setups where my uncle was once chief of police (again not OR) Decent on low, fluffy and fat on high with a sidshore wind. Road a fun performance 8' and zig zaged the inside rocky section. Nothin to great 8 second wind swell, but a rocky point surfable in boardshorts and a beautiful sunny and warm day. Oh and legal weed right over the Mass boarder now. Neva thought I'd see the day.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby buoyhead » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:43 am

Two observations.... This has been longest flat spell (2ft. average) I can remember in 40+ years. With the Seaside volleyball tournament, Astoria Regatta, and Buoy 10 “cluster fish”, this is the most people I’ve ever seen here on the N. Coast.
Fall can’t come soon enough.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:18 am

What no amazing windows? 2' south swell has been pumping..... :lol: Although some of you North Coast guys have it wired esp the guys that travel this time of year, surfing is no lifestyle here and at best a hoby for most if us.

Bouy 10 is nuts these days. Just keep going and find this Albies. That is one helluva a fishery.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby buoyhead » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:33 pm

If an “amazing window” can be defined by 2’ swell refracting off the boulders of a man made structure resulting in 2 1/2 ft. “silly waves” then yes. And warm water and a beach littered with dead molting crabs. Bypassed Buoy 10 and headed due West for three days and secured enough tuna for months to come. Oregon life is good.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby Tex » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:34 am

The La Push cam was a kick in the balls most of yesterday...taking my boys up in that neck of the woods Thurs-Monday. Hoping to see a couple pulses come through.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:40 am

buoyhead wrote:Bypassed Buoy 10 and headed due West for three days and secured enough tuna for months to come. Oregon life is good.

Sounds like you have it dialed! Need to get on a boat out there and get some.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby buoyhead » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:03 pm

The neatest thing was Orcas and Humpbacks. So much life out there!
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 pm

On the fence..... go watch the Proud Boys - Patriot Prayer douches and the misguided Antifa pusssies beat the shite out of each other downtown? :roll:

Or drive 2hrs and try to find a little beachie away from the masses?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf