Change font size   Print view

End of Summer

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: End of Summer

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:01 pm

I was once downtown during one of those things and never have I seen so many grown men wearing kneepads.

Rallied a twofer at a North Coast tried & true. Last night: Junk. This morning: Less junk. Perfect to come back to my senses after a month of no water time. Walked the plank both sessions with little to savor, but nothing to complain about. Log certainly came in handy at low when the only working peak was an outside bar populated by a 4 or 5 janitors. They kept missing waves, so easily got my fill of waist-high crumblers and chest high closeouts. Lackluster surfing for lackluster conditions, but what the hell-- it's either surf or riot these days apparently.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby smithgrind » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:17 am

Major Lazer wrote:On the fence..... go watch the Proud Boys - Patriot Prayer douches and the misguided Antifa pusssies beat the shite out of each other downtown? :roll:

Or drive 2hrs and try to find a little beachie away from the masses?

Who says you can’t have it all here in the great NW?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Mom was in town and while the prospect of taking her to the monthly street brawl was appealing, opted for an impromptu Saturday jaunt to the aforementioned tried and true. Arrived early afternoon to high tide and more surfboards on the beach than in the water. Somewhat soupy, but windswell had picked up and no one was taking advantage of a shapely wave on the south end. Fickle and shifty, yes, but decent lefts on tap when it came together. Far more preferable than the mush that seemed the order of the day for the pack mentality. Surfed it solo for a bit, until joined by a two local grommets who made me feel old performance wise, but shared the stoke and kept me young at heart. Pretty fun session overall; definitely a good session for wave reading and attuned anticipation, since right place/right time was a must. Definitely took the edge off playing tour guide, which is a win in and of itself.

On another note, crossed paths with Spent and his electric orange board the other day and enjoyed a perfectly normal conversation with him. Good times!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:09 pm

I'm glad you thought that was normal. I'd just ingested a little jelly bean type thing that I don't usually indulge in and shortly after we spoke, lost my mind for a bit. Nice to meet you! I had no idea what you were referring to when you called me out as 'Spent.' Such a mental shift between this forum and reality.

Anyway, caught a few waves that afternoon but couldn't tell you much more. I have way better memories of a few gems from Saturday morning on a slightly longer, narrower board...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:46 am

Good to meet you too. Yes, totally passable convo— figured you were preoccupied with getting your surf on. Saw your first draft later and only then realized you were treading between dimensions. Impeccable timing on my part— now just got to apply that to the waves 8)
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:11 pm

Caught that too. Report of the year!

Recently played psychedelic chess in the Cascadian backcountry. As Garica said in an late 80s interview with Rolling Stone "always good to clean out the cobwebs every now and again".

Sounds and looks like pleanty of waves on tap for late Summer. One of our favorite times of year has begun!
Last edited by Major Lazer on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:20 pm

I delete all my good sh*t after I sober up.
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Trace seshwons in 24 hrs. Killed off 2 weeks of valley rot..... life sometimes gets in the way for midlifeman. Dusted off the new small wave shorty and sure felt good. Head highs and pretty rippable on the good ones. Coast crowds were at critical mass levels. Kinda looking forward to mid Winter HP 38 degree dawn patrols but untill then keep the late summer bumps comming.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:49 am

Still waiting on Tex's La Push report......
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:52 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Still waiting on Tex's La Push report......

ditto. Checked out the cam here & there and saw bluebird skies, a little roll, and some heads in the water. Hoped it was Tex and his kids getting their fill.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:07 pm

Surfed myself silly over the past week on an inaugural roadie with (almost) mended back and (completely) dialed in surf mobile. Lucked out with a steady run of swell, managing 1 - 3 sessions per day depending on conditions/physical wherewithal. Some days stoked the ego, others deflated it entirely; perhaps I should get a yin yang tattoo. Nevertheless scored a wide variety of waves-- town waves, country waves, little big medium waves, solo waves, crowd waves, waves of consequence and waves of convenience, even a few birthday waves on that crazy 8 @ 11 jumble at a spot I've had yet an occasion to try.

As the weekend crowd rolled in, slipped off the grid to do some re con. Didn't see what I hoped to, but did glimpse an orca slinking around. Thought I was tripping, but a ranger confirmed a transient was sighted in the area a week ago, which clicked with the loner I saw.

Much to remember, but stand out session was a homebound stopover in the Box zone. A steady run of 6 @ 12 reelers with 2 other guys at a summer classic on a lovely Sunday morning. Who knows how many scoped it and were put off by the paddle out? Who cares? Three of us in flow-- revs up and butter smooth OH on tap. My cup runneth over.

Wrapped things up today with a jaunt down to Shortlandia, my first session there in months. As expected, all manner of wackiness on display amidst mush and closeouts, including a guy getting nailed by a SUP. Keep First Creek Weird!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:50 am

SUP nailage. Ouch! Was not at Poopsands over the weekend, but the shittt show was in full affect. SUPs, foil SUPs, kayak surfers, Bend guys with drones, etc.

Funniest thing I saw though was a salty OG south county loc go off on a guy for asking him how the surf was when he was about 100 steps from seeing it himself.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:32 am

stand out session was a homebound stopover in the Box zone. A steady run of 6 @ 12 reelers with 2 other guys at a summer classic on a lovely Sunday morning. Who knows how many scoped it and were put off by the paddle out?

Ha! Me, if you were at my usual loc :wink: I drove a bit north where they were breaking a little bit more easily. I was not the only one with that idea apparently. Lots of heads out but a good day in the water nonetheless (there are no bad days, etc). I caught one of the best rides I've had in awhile, so I was happy with that.

Howly, if that "crazy 8 @ 11 jumble" was last Thursday, I attempted that at a beach south of Newport around mid-morning. I, um, got pummeled to say the least. I had no business being out there facing giant closeout walls of whitewater immediately after a 6-hour slingshot drive to PDX and back on less than 3 hours sleep, but I had the day off so I was going surfing whether the ocean wanted me to or not (it did not).

Hmm... I think I'm going to go back to mind surfing that wave I had on Sunday instead... Glad to hear you all are getting out and getting some, too. The stoke is definitely high.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:31 am

Major Lazer wrote:
Funniest thing I saw though was a salty OG south county loc go off on a guy for asking him how the surf was when he was about 100 steps from seeing it himself.

Ha love it. Also love walking back up from Short Sands when someone asks for a report...

"Well, it looks like you are about to find out..." is my response these days...
Spent

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:25 pm

[/quote] if that "crazy 8 @ 11 jumble" was last Thursday, I attempted that at a beach south of Newport around mid-morning. I, um, got pummeled to say the least. [/quote]

Those were the leftovers, plus some forerunners from another sizeable swell building in. Made for a very challenging morning, indeed-- plenty of locs were having trouble. Highlight of that session for me was falling a couple feet off a ledge and getting drilled into a sandbar.

Glad you cashed in on Sunday though, Box -- that was a good day in the water.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf