Change font size   Print view

Wetsuit thread

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Wetsuit thread

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:00 am

I think there is a 5 mill version in the works...... Sticking with Hotline and Xcell vs. Vans swoosh.

Film was decent. Didn't really live up to the hype. Felt like it was missing something, but I do like Josh thou. Have meet and surfed with him on a couple occasions. Once at a firing fickle reef break on cencoast in the mid 90s.

Do you know MM, Mr PNW, lives in SoCal :lol: :lol: :roll:
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:45 am

when did he move from Seaside??????????????????
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Tex » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 am

My Xcel booties fell apart pretty quick, holes in the soles and all. Might have to try Hotline next. Anyone ever use Ripcurl booties?
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:58 am

Seaside :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: boy did he have the fan boys fooled. Mafia was on him like flys on shite. Think he lived in Manzo for like maybe a year before he got run out of there. :roll:
Last edited by Major Lazer on Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:01 am

OK 5 mill Vans are live: https://www.vans.com/shop/surf-boot-hi-5mm-black-gum?icn=pdp#hero=0 85 bones. Looks like they use a "dipped" design. Heard mixed reviews. Maybe someone will review here?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:22 am

Gum soles. Always been a fav for skating. Wonder how that translated to suuurf. I'm no air guy thou.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Reviews indicate that sizes run super small. Count me in on MM fan club.....could care less where he lives.
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 am

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby dtrn » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:08 pm

Booties - 3 mm hotlines - love the tread. Only a few days a year I wish they were 5 mm.

Gloves - whatever is cheap - currently Vissla 2 mm, preferably none

Suits - Usually technobutter 5.5 mil, but I saw XCEL drylock 5 mil for $280 on steep and cheap last week and couldn't resist.
The old Hurley 5/3's were incredible, the new Hurley 5/3's feel like 4/3's.

I'm a funny shape (LS - large short), and those tend to linger on shelves for sales the year after release.

This will all be pointless once they build the indoor wavegarden in Corbett.
dtrn
Mermaided

Postby Tex » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:04 pm

INDOOR CORBETT WAVE GARDEN????? FOR REAL?
But for real, I have been wanting to build a wave park in OR for about 5 years now....always down to brainstorm about that business model. Happy for the haters but I truly believe there is a win win for the surf community here in OR.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:09 pm

Any wave, wave pool or not, that allows for more than one turn on a consistent basis is definitely a win win for Oregon.
Last edited by Major Lazer on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:19 pm

dtrn wrote:Suits - Usually technobutter 5.5 mil, but I saw XCEL drylock 5 mil for $280 on steep and cheap last week and couldn't resist. The old Hurley 5/3's were incredible, the new Hurley 5/3's feel like 4/3's.

Hurley's better than Technobutter? Peps are claiming the 5.5 mill Hyperfreaks, O'Neil's new smoothyless comp suit, feel like 3 mills. Curious because the Nike bro-deals are about to end now that they sold Hurley to a retail conglomerate. Black Friday deals are here though and psyching on a freshie 8)

Stab's latest wet suit review was recently posted:
https://stabmag.com/hardware/these-are-the-worlds-best-wetsuits/
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:26 pm

Here Here....lets crowdsource a OSP Surf league and a wave pool, I like Kelly's best, just saying.
Tex

Postby dtrn » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:00 am

Major Lazer wrote:Hurley's better than Technobutter?.

I wouldn't say that...
The Hurley 5/3 from maybe 2016-17 was really warm at the core and really stretchy on the limbs.
It was warm enough for air temps down to high 30s. I really liked that suit.
The taped seams were the only thing to fall apart, and I'm still trying to navigate Hurley repairs to get that thing back in the water. This is where Hurley has failed me the most.

After 2017 the Hurley 5/3's are really thin, and I just use that for short sessions or double dip days.

O'neill has the best repairs in and out of warranty.
Once they sent me a brand new suit while in warranty just for a small tear and a loose neck.

Out of warranty, I've sent them suits where the panels are ripped, $20 per new panel, and a small labor charge to re-stitch and seal. They currently have my technobutter and are fixing the seams, I expect this repair to be around $30. This is why I usually buy O'neill. If you haven't tried their repairs yet, hit up Emmanual, he's the man.

My favorite O'neill product is the Ozone long sleeve rashie with a hood.
When I rarely go surf warm places, I'm that haole boy in a long sleeve rashie.... with a hood.
I look ridiculous. It's also great for floating on rivers.
dtrn
Mermaided

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:10 pm

Hyperfreak 5.5/4+ is the lightest stretchiest wetsuit I have ever owned. That said felt a little chill in my 1st few sessions only when sitting around thou, but that has never happened with fresh suit, usually hot. I will say with wind chill it was about as cold as it gets. Still kinda miss firewall liner and smoothy of Psyco Tech. If I could go back in time, woulda ponied up for Psyco Tech. Hyperfreak is a dope suit though and just happy to be in new rubber after miking my last suit 2 years and close to 200 sessions. 8) Will prob rock polypro rashy vest for these cold winter sessions.

Technobutter 1.5 mill gloves weren't very good. Think I got them for last winter. One of them got a small tear and just didn't seem that warm. Left em by the shower and don't care. Older O'Neil 1.5's with the gripy stuff all over and standard neoprene were much better, but lost those too :x Replacing with Xcels this time, which I have had good luck with in past. Comp glove is actually 2 mil vs 1.5 and cheaper. We will see.....
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf