Change font size   Print view

Sobriety

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Sobriety

Postby Tex » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:33 am

You nailed it Howly....my social life took a massive nose dive after I quit drinking.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby INTERN » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:29 am

Howly Wolf wrote:
INTERN wrote: I'll be listening to a lot of Minor Threat and will come out looking like Rollins.

The Minor Threat regimen's all well and good, but don't be surprised if you end up looking more like Ian MacKaye.
:

Ending dry/sober January today, can confirm, looking more like Ian, maybe a little Albini as I've been wearing coveralls and a rolled beanie most days in the wood shop, and I weigh less now than I did in college.

On the real though, after 30 days, I feel like I could continue to be sober, at least I know when I have kids it won't be too hard to quit. I started a new Hal half marathon program and learned back squats with the trainer, so I feel good. But today, we crack one of the dry hopped ambers that has been brewing away in the closet, roll a doobie, and go see Garcia Bday...
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby smithgrind » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:43 pm

I miss the 714's from the 80's.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby BOX » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:44 am

So far I haven't had a drink in 2020. Wasn't actively trying to be sober. I guess I just haven't been out much. Some of you guys said your lack of drinking killed your social life. I'm pretty sure my lack of a social life killed my drinking :lol:
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:20 pm

You still on the wagon BOX?
Tex

Postby BOX » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:23 am

Was going to say yes, but then I remembered I bought a single beer at a concert last weekend. I enjoyed all $9 of it :roll:
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby bluesilver » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:57 pm

BOX wrote:

Was going to say yes, but then I remembered I bought a single beer at a concert last weekend. I enjoyed all $9 of it :roll:

Yeah like a baseball game 8-12$ for a Bud Light.....
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby BOX » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:19 pm

Yeah like a baseball game 8-12$ for a Bud Light.....

Exactly. It's like, "I know I could have bought a sixer of a good micro for this cost, but please allow me the privilege of standing in a huge @$$ line and buying a warm Bud in a plastic cup instead"

Some concert venues have igloo coolers full of water and little paper cups if you get thirsty (awesome!). This place was making people buy over-priced bottled water instead. I figured if I was going to get fleeced either way I might as well just get a beer.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 am

Enjoying blended cbd/thc gummies 1 quarter at a time, still trying to figure out if that means I fell of the wagon. They kinda help when in lock down mode with no surf.
Tex

Postby 2tone » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:15 pm

How does anyone stay sober and sane in these times? I've quit everything for about 2 weeks... Weed, alcohol, pain meds, etc... so, I just deal with the neck and shoulder pain and it sucks sweaty balls. Long story... but no one likes a quitter... Might have to start vaping again soon...
2tone
Mermaided

Postby Chanel Derrière » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:35 pm

2tone wrote:How does anyone stay sober and sane in these times?

Psilocybin doesn't count.
Pink Floyd and Single Fin Logs.
Chanel Derrière
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby 2tone » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:49 pm

no, THC, CBD and Psilocybin don't count...
2tone
Mermaided

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:56 pm

I would say those do count, well TCH. I know it sounds stupid, but it is a gateway drug to an extent. I know the times I have gone dry, I've had to quit THC too because as soon as I got high, I wanted a drink. Sobriety is definitely something I ponder often these days. More for overall wellness and setting an example for my daughters vs. having a problem, but I've definitely gone down the road of binge drinking and smokeing to much. Its just so easy to do these days and so much a part of the culture here. I need change of scenery somewhere I can focus on something like surfing everyday. Or just somewhere new that is exciting and inspirational that would initiate a greater change. I will say almost every ripper I meet that's 50 plus is almost always sober or at least does not drink. Time is a cruel mistress and alcohol increases aging. Partying post 50 just seems stupid.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:56 am

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:33 pm

I really appreciate this thread, extremely interesting and inspiring. I have been off of THC for about a week now, again, I was ingesting very very small doses but my oldest son is definitely struggling with cannabis addiction and so I am trying to also set a bit of an example. I feel better and I am spending more time on soul evolution and honestly the THC was slowing down that process in my experience.
Tex

PreviousNext

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)