Change font size   Print view

Surfing From Home

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Surfing From Home

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:58 pm

Figured surfing Oregon in the heat of a pandemic would be a hot enough topic for at least a few former OSP diehards to dust off their handles in the service of unsolicited opinions & armchair epidemiological expertise. That’s why I keep logging on after all.

On that note, my latest hobby is watching socal surfers meltdown about the beach closures. Apparently some nerd scientist killed the vibe by insisting the line up might not be as safe as it seems...

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/04/02/e ... us-spread/
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby smithgrind » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:48 am

Everything has it’s 15 mins. of fame. The OSP burned brightly for the allotted Warholian time frame.
Life rolls on.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:48 am

That's an interesting article. Been a bit of an S show here in NE now that the weather is nice. Bike ways have been packed with cyclists, walkers, and runners and its been breezy which is something I was thinking about and confirmed by article. What to do know? Stay home I guess...... like literally.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby INTERN » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:00 am

I live on a bike way in NE and all afternoon it's super busy. My partner and I wear masks even walking or biking, but I tried to run with one on the other day and felt like I was in ox deprivation training. I think I'm going to push my runs to early morning, seems like not too many other people out.
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:11 am

People (or quite a few) in Portland (what is supposed to be progressive city) don't seem to get it. Stay at home, means stay the fuuck home! Jump rope at home if you need exercise. Its one of the best forms of cardio. Trails, bikeways, skate parks, and running will be there for you, but maybe not your's or someone else's grandparents. In the end many of us chose to live in densely populated city with not much space. Its sucks, but its reality right now.
Last edited by Major Lazer on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby INTERN » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:26 am

Tru dat. I was looking to get back into my running routine after trying to rehab achilles tendonitis, but probably best to wait it out.
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby X-squid » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:22 pm

I'm down in the south-westerly 'burbs in an old neighborhood with big lots. Not dense and has an almost rural feel in certain parts of the hood so there's been no ped/bike congestion. Everyone is making it the norm to just cross the street if someone is walking towards one another. Getting out to run hasn't been an issue - with the lack of traffic I can run up the middle of the street in most areas.

I just got furloughed to a 50% salary, 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off schedule for the next 3 months. Looks like i'll be expanding the garage skatepark...
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:53 pm

Here's some skate inspiration for ya, X-Squid, courtesy of acid prodigy, Evan Smith. So refreshing to see an ender that legit blows minds these days.

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articl ... mple-part/

Still walking and biking occasionally, but planning my routes and times like I do my surfing-- low key & under the radar as possible. Of course, as cases peak I've been staying home more-- worried that if I stay at home too much, I'll end up like this guy:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-Y-HCqnRx ... _copy_link
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:54 pm

Of course, as cases peak I've been staying home more-- worried that if I stay at home too much, I'll end up like this guy:

I'm getting closer to this guy :lol: :

https://www.reddit.com/r/surfing/commen ... going_off/
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:12 am

Currently enjoying watching the negative low tides on all the cams. Nice to see what’s beneath the surface.

Kelly posted this stop motion on the gram this morning, noting it’s the best he’s ever seen and commending the animator’s clear understanding of barrels and wave physics. High praise from the GOAT!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-4WlF_AwBu/

NSFW due to pounding (pounding) techno music.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby X-squid » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:34 pm

Was looking at cams on Surfline today - pretty thick lineup at Northside Pier in HB. Pretty shocked actually.... waves not even good yet at least 12 heads on one peak.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:35 am

Seems even worse at PC this morning WTF....
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Tex » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:29 am

i wish i could post an image....what are the steps again?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:51 am

Glassy goodies on the cams this am! Offshore to slack winds the last week or so. Who's not been surfing from home?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:43 pm

Here’s a rabbit hole to fall into: Marine Layer Productions Archive.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCLZhVkKT ... r5g/videos
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf