Change font size   Print view

Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:39 am

my old lady and I found a trainer....brown belt in BJJ and has a gym in his garage. We were heading up to his gym two days a week before the lock down. Getting my core developed, working on pops, squats, boxing and rolling. I think I found an ab.
Tex
suffers from cold water shrinkage

Postby Major Lazer » Mon May 04, 2020 10:34 am

So outta shape and at least 5, maybe 10 lbs over weight. Been eating and drinking to much beer and my knees kinda tweaked. Been doing a few long rides a week knees allowing and occasionally stretching and some core strengthening, but fitness is so worked into my daily routine of which involves 8 miles a day cycling and gym 3 to 4 times a week. Usually gym routine involves lap swimming 3 or 4 times a month. Then I'm usually surfing at least once or twice a week this time of year. Valley rot is literally taking its course. :evil:
Close outs just make me cranky
Major Lazer
foamball on the rocks please

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon May 04, 2020 5:07 pm

Are you doing anything specifically for your knee? I jacked mine last winter and it didn't begin healing until I started doing leg lifts, resistance band crap, and (especially) eccentric squats. It's the most boring, useless routine but it works... slowly.

Here's a decent overview that I found helpful, but obviously different ailments call for different exercises:
https://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/spor ... -exercises
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Major Lazer » Mon May 04, 2020 6:02 pm

Cool. No. Not really. Other than a meniscus tear I had fixed through surgery, I haven't really had any major issues. It just an occasional flare up or pain I get, never really one particular knee or spot per say, although I should pay closer attention. I've been logging more time on my bike as far as distance rides goes, so I am wondering if that's it. Been meaning to get a fitting since I got a new bike 3 or 4 years ago now.

Anyways at first glance, I do some of these already some for my back actually. That said my consistency has been terrible. This working from home makes me lazy AF. But I need to get back on a routine and will dig into some of these. Really miss the barbel. Its has really helped me with strengthening and staying out of back pain recently. Hard to even imagine when gyms will be deemed safe again.
Close outs just make me cranky
Major Lazer
foamball on the rocks please

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue May 05, 2020 2:58 pm

That's frustrating when pain can't be pinpointed to a cause or area... hope it mellows out for ya.

Since surfing is my #1 motivation to keep fit, being dry-docked for so long has really upended my routine. At this point, I've regressed to full on Vulnerable Adult Learner in body and mind, possibly spirit as well. After half assing exercise for the past month, made a calendar with a day by day listing of specific workout crap-- it kind of helps, but still hard to keep on it without tangible reward of surf.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
Am I addicted to this?

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf