Change font size   Print view

COVID Sessions

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

COVID Sessions

Postby Major Lazer » Mon May 11, 2020 4:22 pm

New surf report thread for the rest of spring and summer because you know this mess is going to go on that long, if not longer.

So who's gonna start it off..... Doc? BOX? Looks like there was lots of surfing going on over the weekend. Phase 1 begins on Friday, granted its county by county, but its a start and probably a precursor for myself to get back in the water. :P
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: COVID Sessions

Postby Major Lazer » Mon May 11, 2020 4:43 pm

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon May 11, 2020 6:20 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Tue May 12, 2020 9:56 am

I got out a couple of times last week. There’s a beach pretty close by with an open access. The beach itself is pretty poor for surfing. Crazy sandbars and unpredictable waves. My wife doesn’t even like to body board there. But I was jonesing hard to get back in the water so I got up early a couple of mornings and got myself out there before I had to check into work.

I’m not going to lie. It felt pretty darn good. My performance, however, was not so great. Taking two months off after a winter of not being able to get out much on top of an injury that sidelined me last fall really showed. Regression’s tough. Especially since I don’t have that much skill to lose…

But I’ll spare you all my kooky whining. Bottom line, I got wet and it felt good. Hopefully beach accesses will start opening up again soon. In the meantime, I’ll be paddling into jumbled closeouts coming in from three different angles and being grateful for the opportunity. There truly are no bad days in the water.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Tue May 12, 2020 3:10 pm

Howly Wolf wrote:
I may have ignored the janitor who requested I retrieve his board for him

and rolled my eyes at the outrigger canoe capsized in the lineup.

Jesus where did you surf or not surf. Sounds like Malibu.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue May 12, 2020 4:40 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Fri May 15, 2020 10:38 am

Got out and went to a local beach for a short session this morning before work. I’ve mentioned this before, but this beach is not optimal for surfing. But it has an open access, so it at least has that going for it.

I hadn't had much time in the water since last fall so I decided I would just focus on basic fundamentals for a while and try to get myself back up to speed. I took out the big green foamy and went out for a maintenance session. Caught a few rides, but mostly it was a barometer of how much I’ve regressed over the past few months. Still, it was a nice morning and I was in the water so no complaints, right?

I was at the end of my session and I was about to call it as soon as I could catch a wave in. Saw it, turned, and wiped out completely. Came up and there she was… broken in two. The end of an era for the big green foamy. I’d love to tell you that I was charging a DOH, but it was just a smallish reform on the inside. I’ve definitely been pitched by worse many times. I have no idea why she buckled. Maybe it was tired of this kook beating the hell out of it, so it just decided to give up the ghost? Who knows.

Luckily I was only in chest deep water so I was able to walk it out no problem. I thought, “well at least no one else will see me on this walk of shame” but sure enough two other surfers showed up right when I was getting out. Secret spot blown. Hopefully they had a better day than I did. I know I say there’s no bad days in the water, but man, I think that was my least good yet.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Sat May 16, 2020 11:41 am

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon May 18, 2020 1:12 pm

BOX sounds like you're good to go as far as accessing your local spots go. That said, your mysto beach break session reports have proved to be interesting.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Wed May 20, 2020 3:24 pm

BOX sounds like you're good to go as far as accessing your local spots go

Got out to one early this morning before work. Managed to not break a board. Counting that as a win.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Thu May 21, 2020 1:39 pm

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri May 22, 2020 12:57 pm

I heard the mayors are asking everyone not to show up this weekend. Thinking I am going to hold out for mid-week Central coast exploration....my kid is asking me three times a day now when we are going to surf again....frothing.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby BOX » Tue May 26, 2020 1:00 pm

Got out to a friendly spot north of Newport yesterday for a long session. One of the best outings I’ve had in months. Definitely a fun day in the water. Stoke is high.

I heard the mayors are asking everyone not to show up this weekend. Thinking I am going to hold out for mid-week Central coast exploration

Crowds were definitely out yesterday where the lutrinae no longer hang. Parking lot was full at a spot in the north part of Newport as well. Mid-week may be a good call. Enjoy!
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby X-squid » Fri May 29, 2020 2:04 pm

Welp, after being 'good' for quite longer than was probably necessary, I spent the better part of the last week ay my LC digs. Hit a couple of well-known spots between LC and Newport and lucked into a decent out of the way beach break for a solo sesh. After having been pretty much dry since the COVID poo hit the fan, opted for my mid-length all but the last paddle out to get my feels back. Sloppy on Wednesday but my fish did the trick.

Overall, nothing epic, but dang it felt great to get out.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:02 pm

Sup yall. Kinda went from zero to hero and racked up a good amount of sessions in the second half of May after 8 weeks and the longest surf drought I can remember in some time. No worries though just stoked to catch some of the consistent and fun May swells that were on tap. Water was super warm too for the 1st few, was burning up in my 5 mill not having my old 4 on hand, so went bootieless which took some getting used to.

When I 1st hit the coast after 8 weeks, I rolled down my windows and started to scream. The smell the ocean and the salt air was as pungent as ever even brought a few tears to my eyes. Unfortunately when I got to the spot though, the wind was onshore and quite contrary to the glassy cams I was checking before I left. Typical Spring.... session was memorable in the fact I broke my dry spell and logged my 1st Rona session, but the waves themselves were doooog shite. Luckily I had a place to stay and ended up logging a couple more sessions the next day at a rando beachie I've never surfed right out front that was pretty damn fun. Got my paddling arms and legs back to some degree and manged some gutbacks and a floater or two with no one around. The coast was absolutely another world compared to PDX. A lot of my anxieties were relived and I was able to forget about the nonsense for the time I was there.

Bugged out to the redneck rivera which was open for buiss for the holiday weekend, which did not feel like a holiday weekend at all. Dad needed multiple days of waves and good ones at that and the wifey was kind enough to let me GTFOD. Had a hunch based on many years of surfing this spot and knowledge of tides and swell, so packed up like I was going to Baja prepared for complete self containment, although not much different than I usually roll. When I arrived it was easily the most packed I've ever seen this lot, with out of state plates ranging from WA to CO to CA. Holy fooook it was nuts. Zero social distancing, no masks, no Roana I guess? Polar opposite of PDX let me tell you. Luckily not surfers thou. Posted up yet distanced from the MAGA crowd and surfed myself absolutely silly for 3 days gorging on 100 yard rippable walls that peeled to the friken sand with a perfect channel to lap and lap and lap. Some sessions were better than others for sure, but ended up logging 5 sessions in 3 days and was absolutely dusted. My surfing was inconsistent, but had some moments of personal rippage and ended up being a very memorable trip.

More recently I finally got my kids back in the water after 12 weeks for them. In fact I could not get them out of the water! Oldest finally got to christen a new suit she got for her B-day in mid April and apparently its the warmest suit shes had, so that's good. Dad also got a fun and very quiet social distancing session at a sand bar that was surprisingly empty while a pretty large pack sat up to the north. Eventually it got kinda busy, but there was a window of fun punchy chest to head, the water was warm, clear, and green and surfed for almost 3 hours. Posted up on the beach all day with plenty of space by just waking a little and soaked it all in. A brief moment of tranquility in some chaotic times where surfing really seems like an afterthought right now.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf