Change font size   Print view

Secret Spots

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Secret Spots

Postby X-squid » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:43 pm

Not sure if any of you guys follow the 'Surfing in Oregon' group on FB. Amazes how many 'secret' spots (or at least off the radar spots) are openly discussed. Most of them are so condition-dependent that no one's really giving much away and I think 90% of the people in the group are noobs... still... just seems like such a sacrilege.

Speaking of secret spots - checking out a place tomorrow I've had on my list for years: just north of LC and a bit south of Seaside :D
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Re: Secret Spots

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:18 pm

IMG_0474.jpeg
IMG_0474.jpeg (106.36 KiB) Viewed 18122 times

^ Naming secret spots on faceblech

vs.

IMG_0424.jpeg
IMG_0424.jpeg (92.61 KiB) Viewed 18122 times

^ Writing ultra vague surf reports on the OSP

Choice is yours, kooks...
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:38 pm

I do not have a FB account, but was curious and took a look. Not sure if there is hidden content I cant see without an account? Seems kinda dead. Didn't seem like a ton of activity and posts seemed old. Most recent post was July 25th before that January. Otherwise didn't see much I deem as secret spots. 80% Sharties pics and some IB, one Point. Looks like Mark of CB surf is posting his usual am reports there. Vids of typically shapeless closed out Cannon Beach.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:14 am

You're probably just seeing the public content from some point in the past - you'd need an FB account and have to request membership. People openly posting about spots that would bring down the wrath of the OSP police in years past. Again, just an observation really at how things have changed.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:59 am

Yah that's what I thought and trusted your word. Secret Spots are few and far between, but good luck sorting out all the variables that make them work. Surfed a DL spot my last surf and had it to myself for the majority of my sesh. A 3 pack from WA paddled out at the very end and it was pretty much done. Spot has about a 2 hour tide window and well they missed it.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:15 am

FB....been at least 10 years since I was on that Social networking site. I am 99% done with instagram too....have not shut down the OSP Insta but I do not have any intention of using it any time in the forseeable future
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:24 am

While the "doom scroll" can be downright depressing these days, I've gathered a ton on intel lurking on social media over the years and have scored in doing so. Not so much new spots, but combined with years of surfing Oregon I've learned when fickle spots are doing it. It's quite a nice tool when leveraged correctly.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:51 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Secret Spots are few and far between, but good luck sorting out all the variables that make them work.

True, but I don’t think surfing is the point for the FB spot-naming crowd— would venture to guess it’s more the status symbol of knowing about (and claiming to score) Spot X. You can read more about this theory in my upcoming Inertia article: “Secret Spots: Fact or Fetish?” Spoiler alert: Unless it’s 8’ and rifling, I could care less.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:23 pm

Kinda like living in Lake O? No?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:48 pm

Sort of, except the barrier to entry to living the LO lifestyle is much higher than identifying as a surfer. Given that anyone can stand up on a soft top once and claim to be "a surfer" kind of exacerbates a need to seek more validation... "No I'm really a surfer because I know about ********** and scored [2' mush] there while everyone else was at Short Sand". Maybe I'm just being judgemental, but as the lineup gets more claustrophobic, I think we all try to differentiate ourselves from the masses to some degree (I certainly do). There are just different ways to do that and those strategies change along your journey until you either attain enlightenment, stop caring, or both.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:32 pm

Now into my 30th year of searching out secret spots....or just spots I like to surf with a smaller amount of other surfers on the peak. I simply don't care as much as I used to about secret spots. I care more about rules and etiquette when I am in a new spot or new folks come to spots Ive been surfing for over a decade. With surfline and google maps, the secrets are shrinking. It is inevitable. Im into creating good vibes with whomever is in the line up with me. A smile, a shaka, an opportunity to create a welcoming environment so we can all enjoy the best vibe, nice swell shared among brothers and sisters.
Tex

Postby X-squid » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 am

Howly I think you're onto something there - and it may be as simple as clout. Let's face it - surfers can be a seriously judgmental bunch - I've had conversations with rando surfers here and there around Oregon (outside the lineup) and there's inevitably a 'sizing up' going down once the conversation around surfing starts, something like:

Does this dude/chick *really* surf or did they just rent a soft-top last weekend, manage to stagger into stink-bug stance once and are now claiming to be a surfer?

Sounds like they surf, but do they *surf* (i.e. do they only paddle out in 2' mush at Sharties or are they charging an 8 ft barreling Point... or somewhere in between?)

I think (for Oregon at least) longevity becomes a factor with surfer-clout. "I used to surf Shorties when you could have it to yourself for hours, firing on a Saturday in October!" I heard someone say that anecdotally once. Was that ever a thing? Maybe, maybe not, but I'll say any 'known' spot is exponentially more crowded than when I started surfing up here...

So - as the conversation flows, maybe it's a matter of 'clout' to be able to say you got Guanos or G-spot firing on such and such a day... Oh shite... did I just name drop?! :D

I guess secret spots aren't really real anymore. I've done the Google map thing and have scored big time on some occasions, totally busted on others. One of the best solo sessions I've had in recent memory were right off the rocks at 15th street in LC. Super-secret spot!
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:51 pm

Just ask "What's the coldest you've ever been?"

The answer will tell you everything you need to know about an Oregon surfer.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:50 am

Tell us how we can get our hands on the Inertia article you are writing Howly...not sure Im hip to the publication.
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:48 am

The Inertia is a website notorious for articles about surfing written by people who know nothing about surfing. While this seems like the perfect outlet for me, I don't really have the time, so will just have to save my thunder for the OSP.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf