Change font size   Print view

COVID Sessions

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: COVID Sessions

Postby BOX » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:47 am

how is that "new" board treating you these days? You happy with the acquisition?

Simply put, I’m loving it. Been riding it for a little over a year now and have absolutely no regrets. Fantastic purchase. Much thanks again to the previous owner for hooking me up. It's been a game changer :D
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:17 am

How have the crowds been down there BOX? Man I don't think I've ever seen so many people on the North Coast and it doesn't matter if its a weekend or not. That said, I may be part of the problem as I have logged more July sessions then I have in recent memory. Had a couple fluffy wind swell sessions last week. 7'3" fun board was the call. Pretty mushy, but some longish rides on the good ones. Luckily had a quiet house to post up at and would splash and dash back. Wind hasn't really allowed one to think out of the box to much. Been laying low for the most part, or trying to. Think I have had my fill of summer surf and crowds. It will be interesting to see what fall is like.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:21 pm

How have the crowds been down there BOX?

Well, I’ll tell you around town it’s definitely been busy. You wouldn’t know that there’s a pandemic or stay-at-home order going on.

Last night was my first session at Agate in a long time and it wasn’t crowded at all. Maybe 5 or 6 heads in the water total. However, every time I’ve driven by on a weekend day that lot has been packed full. I haven’t been up to Otter in a few weeks, either, but I checked the cams yesterday and there must have been a surf school or something going on because it looked crazy with like 20-30 heads all clumped together and going for the same shore break ripple at once.

I’ve been mostly hitting up South Beach lately simply because it’s the closest to my house and when I’m dawn patrolling before work every minute counts. I get there around 6am so it’s usually pretty empty. I’m often the first one in the water, or in at least one case, the only one in the water (which considering the conditions that day it was probably for a good reason…). I’ve had a couple of weekend sessions there and it wasn’t too bad, either. Crowds were mostly on the beach, not in the water, though I wouldn’t say it was empty. Perhaps just spread out.

Looking forward to the fall as well, though more for the wind to die down than the crowds, tbh.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:05 pm

The stay at home order is long over and the businesses of the coast realized they need tourist $ and stopped complaining for the most part. Funny thing is my hood is as quiet as I have ever seen it with many businesses still closed. I actually like it like this, but some have straight up gone out of business. Anyways, thanks for the update. Every time I get in the water it feels like a different planet these days, my anxiety goes away, and I feel at peace to some extent.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:57 am

Looking forward to fall... aren't well all. Just found out our school district is doing the first 9 weeks online. Haven't been at our LC digs in a couple weeks due to some remodeling - should be done in time to get the internet upgraded so we can all school/work from there once that's all underway. Got my gig back full time this week (was on 2 weeks furloughs since late March), so not as much tome to surf but a huge financial relief...
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:06 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:56 pm

Ah finally a repopo from da Wolf. Capped July with a fun one as well this am. North wind finally chelled and a tidy little 4 at 11 allowed for a solo dolo soul searchin sash at one of my favorite randos. Saw the micro LP ping last night on the Tilly and woke up as early as I have in days, which was slightly painful. Glassy gun barrel grey skies and lifting fog was a refreshing change from the heat and freon intake from the window AC. Wedgey HH drops to tweener wiggly sections that ran into an inside racey walls. Nice to surf on forehand on homeshap quadro fishey. Nice longish rides. Pelicans glid by so gracefully and found some peace and quiet. Mediation station in between sets. Tide flooded it and window kinda shut. Desuited and drove straight to work like a good midlife man.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:59 pm

Yes, I suppose I've been slacking on the ultra vague surf reports lately... mostly uneventful strike missions at the same ol' spots the past few months. Hit one of those spots under the light of the sturgeon moon this morning, scoring some peaky goodness all by my lonesome with a few brief views for the effort. Punchy windswell, a bit disorganized at times but consistent and unruffled in the still hours. Stayed good for longer than expected, so quite the tired lad now I am.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby INTERN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:08 pm

I have a beach rental house all next week in Cannon. Getting married, and had this place rented for our small elopement. So I'll be trying to get out SS early am about every day and try for the twofer in the evenings. Except Tuesday when FIL is spotting a trip for Buoy 10. Looking to glide all week and learn how to do those cool log rail grab bottom turns. See ya out there...
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Tex » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:26 pm

CONGRATULATIONS Intern....very well done....
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:41 pm

Zzzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:29 pm

Congrats Intern! Sounds like a rad week ahead.

Howly glad you scored on Tues. Swell looked solid for early August. Saw 8 @ 12 at one point. PC cam looked little lumpy and tricky with some wind on it, but heard it was good elsewhere. Buddy was txting to meet up for the evesash, but had my eye on the Blazers game and glad I watched, cause Dame went of the rails! Also heard there was fatal accident south of Cannon Beotch that closed the 101. Heard the backup was kinda apocalyptic. So many idiots on the 101, read it was a boomer from Seaside who dumped his Harley. Guess there was a pedestrian fatality on 26 the day before. :?

Woke up Earls Sweatshirt yesterday for leftovers and 1st Augustus Pablo surf. 5 cops raced up K-Dub sirens a blazing while loading my gear, alas another shooting in PDX. So much violence lately in the Rose City :cry: Opted for a popular spot I could cipe wifi and work post surf. Super quiet just myself and 2 local dudes at the chunk of sand I usually surf at this local. Glassy grey, waist to chest, and frio water. Stayed cosey thou in 7 mill boots and 1.5 gloves..... figured it was gonna be ice ice baby. Pelicans were at it again doing their thang, a welcoming sight for this urban dweller. Swell still had a lump, but found some serviceable rights in the mix. Mostly racers with odd section to bash. Rode my chunk SB and as a thruster and felt good after riding fun board and quad fish for the last month or so. Felt crispy and precise. Called it after 2hrs as a small crowd crept south.

Worked for about 3 hours then went for a dub dip. Beach was packed, but water was empty? Shorties was most likely jammed. Opted for quad fish and was pretty grovley at that. Drops to chump pumps to close outs. Not sure about the bars at this local right now regardless it was pretty much done. Had one OK left and as I kicked out, a kid with a boogie in a T shirt with a hooded rashguard vest over top emerged out of nowhere. He gave me the thumbs up and I smiled back. Called it and went straight back to my van trying to keep a social distance among the crowed beach. Worked until quitting time, breezed home during rush hour, hit zero traffic, and made it home for dinner like a good midlife man.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:25 am

Friday 8/14 I packed up the family for a the day at PC. We were on the road by 8:00 and got a spot in the lot relatively easily. It was a micro day, but my youngest was catching little peelers and riding them with ease on a 9'0 Torque I borrowed from a friend. Wind was fully nuking, me and my sons did the obligatory hike up the dune and enjoyed the amazing views.

Sat- me and Elijah headed out to meet my oldest friend on the coast for dawn patrol. Wind was on most spots so ended up at SS with about 10 other surfers. Incoming tide provided a number of small but fun waves. Elijah continued to improve and get more waves with the longboard.

Small waves and building crowds kept us from going back for another session. We left by 11:00 and found cars parked 1.5 miles away from the SS north lot.

Watching PDX'ers motor to the coast on our way back was disorienting, parking lot the whole way.

Love first light sessions....we can still get waves to ourselves at first light. One day that will probably change too.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:00 pm

Apparently Indian opened back up on Sat. Article I read was questioning for how long thou. Sounds like a temporary fix to a civil engineering challenge.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf