Change font size   Print view

COVID Sessions

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: COVID Sessions

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:43 pm

X-squid wrote:Dying here in the valley, choking on the air - no words for how effed up everything is... COVID, riots, now wildfires... election next and then maybe an asteroid.

Well there is that thing called the Cascadia Subduction Zone :shock: But I hear ya bruh, that smoke was literally a physical choke out as well as mental kick to the nuts. My kids did not leave the house for 8 days straight until we rented a place and fled to the coast. The valley sucks and well that was another harsh reality of the suckage.

I found the coast offered some relief from the smoke at some point. Had a really fun one mid week. Swell had an interesting SW angle and was making for nice wedgey lefts at an open beachie that were consistently crackable on my 5'11" SB. Fogless and high celling with occasional wafts of smoke. I guess a juxtaposition of mental health vs physical damage.

Once I realized how much better it was, rented a place right in front of a consistent beachbreak and got the family out of hell, note smoke was leaking into out 100 year old home even after I sealed just about every nook and cranny I could find. Made it over for the leftovers of the swell I surfed the day before. Appocolypto fog sesh with vis ranging from 10' to 15'. There was a fun running left, but tricky with the vis. Next few days were small, but glassy all day and that little south kept pulsing to make things fun for the family. Wife's been back in the water giving it a go again. Nice to get away now ready for some Dad waves. Common Fall!
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:26 pm

Hey ML- where is that pic from in your avatar? Nice shot....
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:17 am

Gracias. Sneaky little summer session in da local lurking grounds when the winds weren't nukeing. Prob best one I had all summer. Buddy got a little clip of a few waves.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:39 am

Swell popped yesterday so I got sprung. 1st spot I was hoping for was solid and well didn't have the step. It was magnifying the swell into a pocket just packed with sand right now. Was mixed up too. One charger pulled up and made the jump, but did not convince. I'm kinda outa shape and looked like way to much work for little reward. Yeah I know wuss....

Moved on down the road thru Trumpland.... grabed some tacos and pulled into a popular beach break to find a thick crowd on a mid day Tues and Spring Break esc vibes on the beach. WTF when's the next lock down coming? Waves looked fair, swell good. 1st wave got dropped in on and then when I jumped over the back, leash broke :x Good time to replace those old leashes girls and boys. Had another in the car per unusual and good thing I was not at a walk/hike in spot. Also made a fin change swapping thrust for quad as my SB felt a little boggy on that 1st one.

HH to HH+ drops. but kinda warbled with fat sections that the fin change allowed to speed though. Crowd thinned considerably and synced into some long sectioney rights that allowed for wrapping gutbacks and roundhouses back into pockets. Bit of work, but thumpy swell felt great. HT really slowed things down and almost went in to grab quadfishey, but persevered and surfed until I was noodled and south wind came up and ruffled it. Jah bless this beautiful rain today!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:53 am

Zzzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:55 am

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:18 pm

Missed that post.... going with 6. Never seen a motorized foil board.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:40 am

haahhhaaa....5 and 6 actually happened.
Tex

Postby bluesilver » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:19 pm

I've been sick a few times this year and I'm sick again with the same Covid like symptoms so my boss is having me go get tested tomorrow.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Tex » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:11 am

Blue- sorry to hear this update....how did the test results come back?
Tex

Postby harg » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:10 am

Solid day yesterday. Got to check out the North Coast Van Conversion Expo. Pulled in at first light, and was amazed to see that people had already been setting up for hours. It was pretty cool, every kind of van imaginable, and they all had their doors open and tops popped so you could see and smell the insides. The Sprinter section was really nice, but a little too fancy for me. The Mini-Winny's were plush, but impractical for weekend warrioring. The Japanese section was probably my favorite, just something that's awesome about a crazy 4x4 mini-van with windows everywhere. my single favorite was the old school Ford Econoline though. nothing like swivel bucket seats and shag carpet to make you feel cool.
anyway, didn't stay too long cause the surf looked great. had an awesome morning on a section of water that, despite the mobs in the lot, only one other guy was on. classic fall conditions with warm water, the moon out, and great sets coming through. i kept looking over my shoulder anticipating an army of people paddling out any minute, but it never happened. i happily surfed until my arms and back were yelling to stop, then went home with a smile on my face and a bit of renewed faith around surfing here.
harg
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:36 pm

In Spicolli voice "No van already man?? HA"

Fun run of sarf over the last week or so. Ended September with a pleasurable and relaxing HH golden hour sesh about a week ago and started the month with the usual 1st weekend of October 3 day camping foray and a fairly solid open beach break seshwon. Shifting peaks, but dialed into some kine lefts that ran and ran after exciting OH drops with just 3 other surfers, one of which's leash snapped. Another warning to switch out those old (and comp leashes) with a freshie. Surfed with a classic local that I've know for many moons, like late 90s when this beach was one of my go tos. We laughed at how long ago that was now. Busted out the ghost and boy did it feel good. Never had a board that paddles in and knifes drops like this one.

Swell dropped next day, but still offered some CH peaks with many more humans strewn about. Wind came up early too, but made the best of it like a good midlife valley man. Randomly ran into an ex OSPer on the trial to the beach and we caught up for a few. Later that day new swell started filling in with impressive sets that my oldest daughter commented they were huge! While hanging with the fam on the beach a pocket in the lee was turning on making good sense of the swell. A couple smoking sets had me frothing for what looked to be an all time under the radar sesh. Dashed back to camp, suited and booted, only to return and find out that 2 heads had paddled out and chased in by the landlord. Guess a fisherman a little farther out had seen it and started screaming to the surfers and kiters who were on the beach mulling about as I made my way to the channel. Needless to say after I learned what was going on, I ended up scraping the sesh and surfed it with 20 BFFs the next am. Guess no one got the shark memo or cared. Persevered and snagged a few here and there, but as the tide filled the crowd dispersed and there were still some fluries of good waves thereafter and eventually racked up enough to call it. 8)
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:34 pm

D493E35D-3BA8-49FA-B08E-605A9CFFABE8.jpeg
D493E35D-3BA8-49FA-B08E-605A9CFFABE8.jpeg (196.33 KiB) Viewed 16033 times

Walking out of my sprinter van like ^
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:39 am

Made the annual pilgrimage North with homies....swell was predicted to funnel right through a couple of fun spots. Friday night got some fun longboard waves, Sat basically every spot that was still open went flat. Sunday afternoon a fun point break turned on for about an hour. Always good to get off grid for a few days, the surf could have been better but still nothing like Fall in nw WA.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:27 am

Buddy and I have been trying to link up for a surf for some time and yesterday we finally made it happen. Surfed the mid am and evening seshies at Sands. Nothing great, couple drop ins per usual, consistency of good ones coulda been better, but there were some fun ones in the mix. Epic weather, warmish water, and kinis on da beach in Oct. What looked to be a juvey stellar sealion was hauled out on the beach looking lethargic and sick. Pretty surfed out for now.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf