Change font size   Print view

Philip Glass Skateboard Soundtrack

Most people put away childish things as they mature. However, if you insist on engaging in this inherently dangerous pasttime please confine your posts here...so I don't have to waste time reading them. Registration is required.

Philip Glass Skateboard Soundtrack

Postby Chanel Derrière » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:39 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olNDbyEwaQE

"Mindblowing" parts drop too often these days but this is East Coast perfection. So well filmed and edited. Not to mention trick and spot selection.

The Philip Glass segment at 5 mins 35 seconds works really well. Not sure how i missed this one.
Pink Floyd and Single Fin Logs.
Chanel Derrière
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Re: Philip Glass Skateboard Soundtrack

Postby Howly Wolf » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:17 pm

Skating the mid-Atlantic is like surfing the Pacific Northwest... the spots are wonky and often a bust, but beatific when the stars align. Ever see Dan Wolfe's eastern exposure vids? Essential viewing for 90s era east coast skate rats.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GfSZXQ3YeRk
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Chanel Derrière » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:06 am

Are you kidding me?

Ricky Oyola in EE3 saved skateboarding for me in the 90s... The East Coast scene was a big factor in pulling us out of the BPSW era. (Big Pants Small Wheel). Lines not tricks, city skating not spots, flow, wallies, pole jams, cellar doors, the basics done really well.

Ricky's opening line is still a thing of beauty.
Chanel Derrière

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:04 pm

I don't know man, Tim O Conner's pants were still pretty baggy...

But well said. Ricky Oyola's lines in the subway terminal warped my little kid brain when I first saw the footage in Fairman's way back when. It wasn't just the tricks, but the subversion of public space-- commandeering the utility while the city slept, making it look like a rad skatepark on an alien world. Underachievers informed a lot of my perspective on skating from the jump, so it's pretty cool that this random 30 year old vid left an impression on you too.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Chanel Derrière » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:00 pm

Absolutely. Well said yourself.

My favorite eras of skateboarding are just before BPSW and just after. Just before I felt like street was legitimized and I no longer felt bad about not having access to halfpipes and blasting like Hosoi. And just after, street skaters really started to take what they learned in the early 90s (slow and lo) and added speed and flow. (The return of sensible sized wheels helped of course) The first Stereo vid was also hugely influential in that regard. I even got a letter published in SLAP mag lamenting the mid 90s.

Some of my favorite parts of EEIII are just dudes pushing through the city. To this day, I love pushing. I think Ricky O even named it city skating, not spot skating. Sometimes, I just want to skate not get in my car to get to the spot. On more than one occasion I've found myself 6 miles from home after a day of ollieing manholes, bouncing off curb cracks, stopping at the occasional 'spot' and pushing between them... only now I'll call the wife for a pick up and not get on the bus or actually skate home.... I did skate 12 miles one day during the early pandemic, hitting and sessioning spots a long the way... It was painful...

Baggy pants are back, you noticed...? Kids are in full on 90s worship. Had to show my daughter my FUCT jeans. Its funny though, they are mixing different aspect of 90s skateboarding that didn't necessarily happen at the same time... I love being old.

Anyway.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w-cVq2VSXw EEIII NYC sections Between 12secs and 30Secs is my favorite part. Just a dude pushing through the city at night. Ollies onto a car, hands behind back, kick flip a grate, jazz flowing, just owning the street. The best feeling.
Chanel Derrière

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:26 pm

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articl ... fred-gall/

A bit of mid90s philly nostalgia mixed with 'crete and clips in this Fred Gall doco.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Chanel Derrière » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:50 am

Yeah Uncle Freddy! More of Black Sabbath Bloke than Philip Glass Guy. I think he has a new part dropping soon.
Chanel Derrière

Return to Skateboarding without a condom