Change font size   Print view

Winter 2022/2023 Surf Log

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Winter 2022/2023 Surf Log

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:05 pm

La Ninas clamped. Its unseasonably cold and snowy. The snow is pilled up in the coast range and the black ice lays thick most mornings. Get those traction tires on gonna need em this year! The Cascades have above average snow pack from an impressive storm cycle last week that dumped 5' and well the white wave was kinda firing with light crowds due to early season. No reports for December yet, but seems like there have been some days. Maybe small kine last few? I have no report at the moment and forecast doesn't look great. Need to get those end of the year numbers up. Haven't tallied them yet, but the year is almost over. Time sure flys the older you get.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: Winter 2022/2023 Surf Log

Postby smithgrind » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:16 pm

Got a small window of quality waves on the push after low tide this morning.
Dusted off the 6'9" mid length and got cozy with the volume and paddle power
which is always welcome during coven time.
Roping rights with a kick out in the rip and right back out to the line up. Wish
it lasted longer but it flooded out and the rights turned mushy. Typical sitch
at this spot.
Spotted Slimvest lurking in the lot as dishpan was getting out. I knew I had pulled the
plug at the right time, game over.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:33 pm

im getting old....winter surf just does not compel me like it used to...
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Tex » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:45 pm

...then I pop over to the PC cam and start frothing
Tex

Postby smithgrind » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:16 pm

Tex wrote:...then I pop over to the PC cam and start frothing

Surfing is always better in the metaverse.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's been Malibu-esc. Natural footers grab ya twin pin middy and shake it like Mikey February. What it's lacked in crackable lips this week, its made up for with mega gut backs, like 5 on one wave. Word is out now thou. See you guys tomorrow :P

Valley rots getting to ya head Tex :lol: That or the inversion and crap air quality in da Murder City. Quit pulling the old card you're far from it. Or cold card..... been T shirt weather mid day and 10 degrees warmer than Gotham. I've had way colder sessions in June in shite summer waves. Have you forgot about the winter time kine :?:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:53 pm

Thanks for the well deserved kick in the @ss ML, truth hurts, gotta pull the trigger and get out ASAP. Valley ROT is real fellas, glad the OSP is around to throw me the life ring.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:34 pm

Haha. I hear ya thou. This week looks cold AF. Not a fan of overcast greybird and 30's - 40's TBH. That takes some motivation. And snow on the beach, while cute, no gracias. Been there done that. If it snows low elevation, then I'm going to the mtn to surf white waves and throw cold smoke.

But last week was STEEZY AF! Dug into the PTO and had more wave face time than I've had since Mex in May. Was fookin noodled on Fri caping a beautiful run with 4 hour sesh. Also got some legit forehand time the middy. 100 yard rides to put it through the paces cruising, fading, swooping, and racing. Had the quads in, but think the 2+1 might of been the call for more of a pivot on top turns. Was to lazy to change em out. That was a run for the books. An 08-09-esc bank. A very rare bird these days.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:18 am

Would you go?
https://www.longbeachlodgeresort.com/#webcam
Subject to change but as of 9:00am 12/20 looks to be an inch or two on the beach.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:39 am

Whos been getting some epic holidaze sessions? :lol: Was hoping to put a few more on the calendar, but looking like a bust. December was all or nothing. 3 days total, but the best 3 day run I've had in year. Feels like a dream now :lol: Happy New Years OSP homies!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:03 pm

December was a big goose egg for me. Scheduled a bunch of doctor’s appointments in the valley months ago for the beginning of December thinking it would be too stormy to go anyway and, of course, it was super nice out. Couldn’t afford to miss any more work after that. Now that I can go, conditions are back to usual.

I have good news for you all, though. I have foot surgery scheduled for the middle of January so expect beautiful conditions in just a few weeks :D

Hope you all have a good new year and plenty of good surf in 2023.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:08 am

I'll be waiting for those beautiful conditions if I'm not deep down in Baja 8) Good luck with surgery BOX. A good time and probably even better this season with the way this winter has been going. Missed any small windows to get those 2022 numbers up. Just pulled down the calendar and will tally later this evening. Did start the year with drive #1 of a likely 70 or so anual and a quiet one at infamous. Caught a bitchin sunset to boot that turned the dark water an palacid orange. Nothing epic, but better than most good days anywhere else. Turned around and beat the dreaded inversion up on the volcano yesterday jamming groomers with the fam. Classic PNW start to New Year. Cheers!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:16 am

Been a busy start to the new year with work and fam stuff but getting out at least once a week so far this year. Either been really good, not a ton of waves nabbed, but quality. Or somewhat maintenance and hardly any waves at all. Kinda busy this weekend. Busier than I have seen it in a while. Watched surfer after surfer jump in the conveyor out to what looked like a lot of work and little reward. Haven't seen that one doing it recently. I guess a paddle is sometimes better than going home dry. Was really warm out for mid Jan.

Last years tally ended up at 66 days and 73 total sessions. Traveled on 2 surf trips and a few other work and or personal trips not necessary for surf where I scored or at least got fun waves. Guess that's SoCal for ya. Figured I be up in the 70's-80s, but I will take it. No real goal for this year and certainly wont be traveling as much, but be happy if I can maintain.

Split jet stream may leave us high and dry for a bit. We will see if we make the split. Kinda looking forward to surfing other zones.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:48 pm

seems like everywhere is getting mega swell....thought there might be a chance for Nelscott but have not heard anything in terms of a go...was hoping the Eddie would go as well, so close....

I am up at my fav little point, will report out later this week.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:34 pm

Actually hasn't been to huge in PNW. Sure been some fairly big ones, rideable days have been 8-10, coming in with southerly angle. Jet stream, storm, and swell track has been to the south of us for at least 2 weeks now. Seen footy of one Nellys day and a few heavy step off sessions. The southerly track that's been on tap does not bode well for up there, but it looks like that is about to change with the spilt in the jet stream. May not mean mega swells, but could be a good sustained window around here to sniff out some sand bars. Pray for a legit NorWester up there, not the pineapples that have been on tap. As they say when its a snow, its a go. Good luck!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf