Change font size   Print view

Issues of Localism

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

have you personally experienced localism against you?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:37 pm

No
50%
yes
50%

Total votes : 14

Postby Gazsurf » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:31 pm

Calling all self proclaimed enforcers for their overly inflated sense of judicial skills.......without the pre-requisite education......
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby kevinfromseattle » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:15 pm

I usually don't talk with anyone, sometimes even my friends and just do alot of glaring if people are bieng stupid. I usually find that a good sour look will make most people realize what they have done, or the most drastic I'll get is i'll post up real close and start stealing thier waves.
kevinfromseattle

Postby guppy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:16 am

The most hostility I've ever experienced has been in Palos Verdes at Lunada Bay. Police enforcement is difficult because of cliffs. It's in a ritzy neighborhood where a silver spoon bunch of b!tches threaten and destroy property and flesh. There has been a few cases where people who were hurt sued but even after that, little is done about their behavior.
One instance in which I was walking down the trail I was asked by two locals "what the fuc are you thinking" and "who the fuk are you". As I got to the bottom of the trail the locals that were at the point were screaming, from 200 yards, and throwing rocks to deter us. I wanted so badly to paddle out there I contemplated coming back with a gun. I thought up various scenarios in which I would force them to let me surf, if not only for an hour, which I never went forth with. I did however call the police one day I checked it and was threatened and do you know what they told me? "Well why would you go there?"

I guess these rich white republican surfers are comparative to George and Dick in that laws don't apply to their thuggish behavior.

I'm glad to be in the PNW.

I still sometimes daydream of gathering up a large crew of my most sinister friends and forcing my way onto their beach.
guppy
late takeoffs, that's how I roll......

Postby Dano » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:59 am

Ive been out at some of the more remote spots on Maui and been sent in buy some HEAVY mokes. When you are sitting out there, and 3 or 4 huge blahlahs on longboards paddle out and yell "ALL YOU FAKAS GO IN NOW", you ask yourself: have I gotten any fun ones? Yes? Then I may as well go in! Hahahaha
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby Gazsurf » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:18 am

My favourite localism story.......Rockpiles on a smallish day, kinda crowded with a few beeg mokes in the water doing a little body surfing amongst the surfers. Everything is cool they're not hassling anyone, until a blonde kid from [insert your state or country here] paddles for a small inside wave, completely mowing down one of the two locals[+250lbs. each]. He comes up behind the wave rightfully threatening to kick the kid's a$$ who in the only bright move he had made all morning split for Rocky Point, leaving the rest of us with two very pissed locals screaming about effing haoles.

Up pops a nice peak right in front of me but if I take it the very same local who just got run over will have to make a slight adjustment to get out of the way.....ahhhh I think not!! While I am cursing the prick who started this and put a chill in the air and then split, probably to cause more crap somewhere else, I hear the Hawaiian yell at me...."Go brah that is a good one!" I take a look at him and he is already swimming out of the way and waving me into the drop........with a smile on his face.
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby Dano » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:32 am

gazsurf wrote:My favourite localism story.......Rockpiles on a smallish day, kinda crowded with a few beeg mokes in the water doing a little body surfing amongst the surfers. Everything is cool they're not hassling anyone, until a blonde kid from [insert your state or country here] paddles for a small inside wave, completely mowing down one of the two locals[+250lbs. each]. He comes up behind the wave rightfully threatening to kick the kid's a$$ who in the only bright move he had made all morning split for Rocky Point, leaving the rest of us with two very pissed locals screaming about effing haoles.

Up pops a nice peak right in front of me but if I take it the very same local who just got run over will have to make a slight adjustment to get out of the way.....ahhhh I think not!! While I am cursing the prick who started this and put a chill in the air and then split, probably to cause more crap somewhere else, I hear the Hawaiian yell at me...."Go brah that is a good one!" I take a look at him and he is already swimming out of the way and waving me into the drop........with a smile on his face.

ALOHA!!!! Good Story cuz.. Theres some great people in Hawaii.
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby Bison » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:45 am

"Take the poor Irishman who had the wave of his life one tropical day at Pipeline. He pulls into a spectacular tube at Backdoor, riding through the curl and coming out the other side. Brimming with exhilaration, he paddles back to the take-off spot. Local Hawaiian tough guy Johnny Boy Gomes comes over and, without a word, punches him in the face. "That was my wave", he says, paddling away. Paddy's day goes from adrenaline high to painful downer in an instant."

Steve Pike, Sports Illustrated
no weak heart shall prosper
Bison
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby thurgood jenkins » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:19 am

Thats real classy.
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby Bison » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:47 pm

specialy round St. Patty's...
no weak heart shall prosper
Bison
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby qball » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:45 pm

99 per cent of localism stories, the guy doing the bullying is either bigger or has more friends. p#ssies. I've surfed around a bit now and done some danm dumb things in the water, often when I was one of the few whities. But nobody has ever hassled me. Now I wonder if that is because I usually apologize if I screwed up and generally try not to be a d1ck in the water, or if maybe it's because I'm bigger than 95 per cent of the surfers I've come across and don't exactly look friendly.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- 'WOW, what a ride!!!'"
qball
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby Jacob » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:16 am

I dreamt last night I was in the islands surfing. As I was paddling into a wave some guy in my way called me an azzhole. I dropped in, came around him and told him to f#ck off. Later his buddies invited me to dinner, when I showed up they told me to get into the boiling pot on top of the fire pit.
Jacob
I do it Beavertail style

Postby SoCalBarger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:01 am

I've surfed some of the most localized breaks in the world and did'nt get more than stink-eye. Mainly because I go to these places ALONE, low-key (no quiver of longboards on the racks, no surf stickers on my car, etc). Do your time, catch scraps, and most of all STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE MAIN TAKE-OFF SPOT! Leave a twelver of coldies for the locals, clean-up the beach, roll some fatties and pass around, lot's of ways to get in, why are so many of you afraid to pay dues? Why do you guy's think you should be able to just paddle out to some localized break and catch any wave you want? Some people spend years paying dues at certain places. Get in line and you'll get some. Localized breaks will be the last places to become over-run with a bunch of Blue Crush, Kelly Slater PS2, d#ck-draggin kooks. These places should be preserved, not destroyed.
SoCalBarger
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby SooLoo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:40 am

well put

can i get an AMEN!?!
SooLoo

Postby jerichv » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:07 pm

amen brah.....holliluya!
say it!
jerichv
"wall of fiberglass" refugee

Postby jerichv » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:08 pm