Change font size   Print view

Issues of Localism

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

have you personally experienced localism against you?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:37 pm

No
50%
yes
50%

Total votes : 14

Postby Jacob » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:24 am

What's up with someone from socal makin' so much sense?
Jacob
I do it Beavertail style

Postby SoCalBarger » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:40 pm

So Cal is the un-official birthplace of localism. I grew up in a highly localized surf scene where you had to watch your manners comin up. The older guy's in those days would NOT hesitate to enforce the rules. You learn pretty quickly. What most outta-towners don't realize is how much time some people put in to be able to surf the area, years in most cases. There was a guy who actually moved into "town" and was heckled and checked for at least 5 years before he got any status. That's the way it is. If you don't like being heckled you won't come back. If you come back for more abuse you gain respect incrementally. I've been surfing my local breaks for decades and I still have to give waves to the veterans, gladly. It's all about putting in time.
SoCalBarger
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby The Landlord » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:45 pm

I can't verify the authenticity of this story, but it came to me from a pretty solid source. Rickson Gracie, Brazilian Ju Jitsu badass and lifelong surfer, paddled out at Lunada Bay. Some of the locals started talking sh!t (must have had no clue as to who he was) apparently it escalated from there and ended up on the beach where Rickson left three or four of them crying for their mommies.
Shall we roll it Jimmy?
The Landlord
Hawaii big surf veterinarian

Postby SoCalBarger » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:41 pm

BTW, guy's like the Gracie brothers can surf anywhere they want. What can we learn from this? You either put lot's of time in the gym or in the water. or both.
SoCalBarger
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Tyedog » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:31 pm

SoCalBarger wrote: Leave a twelver of coldies for the locals, clean-up the beach, roll some fatties and pass around, lot's of ways to get in, why are so many of you afraid to pay dues?
Why did I catch so much chit for making the same suggestion. Bring gifts. Its a simple concept. Works half the time.
Tyedog

Postby guppy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:59 pm

The Landlord wrote:I can't verify the authenticity of this story, but it came to me from a pretty solid source. Rickson Gracie, Brazilian Ju Jitsu badass and lifelong surfer, paddled out at Lunada Bay. Some of the locals started talking sh!t (must have had no clue as to who he was) apparently it escalated from there and ended up on the beach where Rickson left three or four of them crying for their mommies.

I'm not talkin guano on Rick or saying that this story didn't happen but the Ju Jitsu style of fighting from your back will not fend off multiple attackers. I'd love to hear of those punks getting roughed up but...
How reliable is your stories source?????
guppy
late takeoffs, that's how I roll......

Postby The Landlord » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:24 pm

The source is reliable. Rickson is a solid stand-up fighter, so as for him being on his back and using BJJ.... doubtful. I can't imagine a gaggle of "Bayboys" taking him down.
Shall we roll it Jimmy?
The Landlord
Hawaii big surf veterinarian

Postby pro moe » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:25 pm

read in the paper this morning
guns dont kill people
chuck norris kills people
pro moe
duck diving fool

Postby Bison » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:32 am

(From a different thread)
surfinSparky wrote:
Jacob wrote:It's kinda funny how a few of you vilify "locals" for being unfriendly when your comments towards them don't seem to be any friendlier. I'm all for talkin' some sh!t, so carry on.

I completely agree.

Jacob & Sparky...

I agree in almost all cases and did agree with your statement in full until I had rocks thrown at me while walking down the beach by a bunch of drunk idiot locals at 10am. It's tough to respect that kinda bullchit, especially when I go outta my way to lay low, be polite and only go out if there is room in the lineup. Truth be told, I have never had any problems with anyone at Seaside except for one guy named Jason and the occasional lackey try to impress him.
no weak heart shall prosper
Bison
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby Jacob » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:17 am

Sorry to hear about your experience, Bison.

I got hit by a loose board, last year, that belonged to some guy who came from an inland town, but I don't think all inlanders are kooks.

It is an easy trap to fall into once you have a bad experience with someone to then label everyone in that group as being bad. I seriously doutbt though that this is your attitude, but it is what I was responding to.
Jacob
I do it Beavertail style

Postby SlimVest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:22 am

bison, this jason guy has the redish goatee, right?
SlimVest
baitfish expert

Postby Bison » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:33 am

yeah, that's the guy.
no weak heart shall prosper
Bison
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby brdsurf » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:52 am

The only time I had any problems with any kind of "localism" ironically enough was in my own backyard while in the camp.
This didnt come from anyone there who claimed to be a regular there, as in like the Netarts/tillamook crew, but some person who surfed there often but made a commute which took a few hours. Ironically I wasnt even surfing when it happened.
I wonder how many of you knew of an organization called coast watch. With that program "volunteers" "adopted" a mile stretch of the beach to monitor for erosion, pollution and other things like that. It was before the Surfrider got as popular there as it did. Well, my friends and I "adopted the stretch there at the camp. It was close, we were there often and why not. Anyone who has spent enough time there has seen how much erosion has gone one there.
During one of our monthly checks and trash pickups I couldnt surf as I had earlier in the week F&cked up my ankle. The other two decided to get some waves since there was nobody else in there at the time. While they were out in the line up I was up past the little Campspot halfway up the reef picking up trash. Off the trail comes a single surfer who got close to the truck and looked around. Since there were no extra surfboards laying around and the other two were out in the lineup the guy got brave I guess and was going to "enforce" or something. As fast as I could hobble back down the reef the guy was on the other side of the truck starting to let air out of the tires. I startled him and asked what the F was going on. He decided with out even bothering to ask what was going on that we were "ruining" his surf by driving in to surf. He told me about how long he had surfed there and how he has surfed all over the world and blah blah and he felt he had the duty and right to do that. This of course led to a couple of years of crap back in PC. Luckily for him my friend who owned the vehicle didnt see what was going on otherwise there would have been throws. Because of my temper, and his quick action to flatten tires it made for many unpleasant hours in the water later. Sad thing is he would have normally been the kind of guy we would have liked to have known since most of my group has travelled all over looking for surf.
"I have to overcome that safety mechanism that wants to rise up in me and to keep me from doing something that could kill me."
"Everything’s okay until it isn’t."
brdsurf
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby wanty » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:36 am

We need to root out localism. The locals think they can hide forever but were going to smoke them out of their holes. We won't stop until the job is finished. Its a war against localism, how many times do i have to say this? We have a job and we're going to do it. I understand there's opposition and its not going to be easy but we are going to root out localism. We'll smoke them out of their holes. I might not be the popular thing to do, but the right thing to do isn't always the most popular. Its an object of strategery which will be accomplished but nature just needs to take its course.
wanty
Site Admin

Postby SooLoo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:59 am

i really don't understand all the bitching regarding this subject. why is everyone bent on fixing something that ain't broke? so what if the odd rock is tossed or a little trash talking?

You guys are acting like real wussies on this subject, go cry to your mamma's. how the f@ck did any of you survive public school? most of you who talk the most about localism have no f@cking clue what it really is.

ever lived in a getto for any peeriod of time? same thing, new faces are noticed and not always welcome. same goes for fishing holes, mushroom picking, rock climbing and pretty much everything else.

a "local" is not defined in a conventional sense. it is a surfer term, plain and simple. it doesn't really mean anything more than the dude who is always there. someone who "regulates" a break is all together a different animal like that old prick at the camp.

please you all, rise off hyw 101's nutz.
SooLoo

PreviousNext

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners